Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ming's Legalisation of Cannabis Private Members Bill

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

srsly78 wrote: »
    Lots of people smoke this already despite it's illegality. Therefore you must be assuming that the population would smoke more of it after legalisation. There would be a brief spike in usage after legalisation but then things would return to normal. Various studies have shown that the usage rate in the countries like the Netherlands are lower than those in prohibitionist neighbours.

So your cons are essentially non-arguments.

They aren't my cons, they are merely possible cons that should be debated. Whats wrong with having a healthy debate, lets be guided by the experts, and then decide what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

MadsL wrote: »
    Whilst many thousands of working days are lost through hangovers, I doubt anyone ever rang in sick as a result of smoking too much weed the night before.

Really? Have you seen "Ted" the movie. I certainly wouldn't like to hire a stoner if I was running a business. To each their own though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Seaneh wrote: »
    I refer you to Mr. Red's last post.

It's not a constitutional issue, there is no need or grounds for a referendum. Having a constitutional referendum on a matter which is not covered by the constitution is a pointless waste of government time and money and a distraction from the real work of the house, running the country.

As Cavehill Red stated, all that is needed is a proposal from a member put to the house and voted on by the members. If it is rejected, redraft it and create a bigger campaign to put pressure on TD's to support it or face a backlash at the next election.

As it is, the constitution is in the process of being reviewed by a constitutional convention in the hopes of simplifying and clarifying the document, adding pointlessness like specific sections for cannabis or other controlled substances, is just wasting time, effort and money.

I was drinking a glass of water reading this and nearly choked laughing at the bit in bold.

A backlash at the next election over a failure to legalise cannabis? Ha, ha, ha. Have you not heard of the property tax, the water charges, the public sector pay cuts, the increased VHI/BUPA charges, the cuts to medical card numbers? Thanks for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Godge wrote: »
    I was drinking a glass of water reading this and nearly choked laughing at the bit in bold.

A backlash at the next election over a failure to legalise cannabis? Ha, ha, ha. Have you not heard of the property tax, the water charges, the public sector pay cuts, the increased VHI/BUPA charges, the cuts to medical card numbers? Thanks for the laugh.

Yes this country needs money badly. So why not take one of the most lucrative cash crops in the world and set up a government monopoly with it? Would you not rather the money went to state coffers rather than criminal gangs?

Many people would be quite surprised to find out how much this stuff is worth, it's the #1 cash crop in places like California (legally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

PRAF wrote: »
    Really? Have you seen "Ted" the movie. I certainly wouldn't like to hire a stoner if I was running a business. To each their own though!

Is it a documentary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

I couldn't care less about what he chooses to smoke. None of my business as long as it doesn't affect his ability to execute his role as a legislator in Dail Eireann and also as long as he isn't mowing people down in his car if he is under the influence.

I'm more concerned about his populist and environmentally damaging policy of destroying raised bogs just so that he can save himself a few quid (or make profits) from burning one of the least efficient fuels available in Ireland

I'm reminded of Gerry Adams asking Enda to close the bar while the country was being sold down the swanny on the night of the promissory notes fiasco that's already coming back to haunt us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

you're citing a fictional movie as evidence for your beliefs?? :eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement