Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Charities

• 27-04-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would let people know that Limerick Animal Welfare has posted on their FB page regarding animal welfare charities from other parts of the country calling door to door chugging. Limerick Animal Welfare, I think we can all agree, is very respectful in its fundraising and never does this. Support your local charity guys, they are doing fantastic work and need all the support they can get. Plus I can assure you that they will be the ones that will help if you ever need ot, not those in other parts of the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And the LSPCA and Limerick Feral Cats, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just thought I would let people know that Limerick Animal Welfare has posted on their FB page regarding animal welfare charities from other parts of the country calling door to door chugging. Limerick Animal Welfare, I think we can all agree, is very respectful in its fundraising and never does this. Support your local charity guys, they are doing fantastic work and need all the support they can get. Plus I can assure you that they will be the ones that will help if you ever need ot, not those in other parts of the country.

Did you mean County or Country? I ask because I admire the work done by LAW, Limerick Feral Cats and LSPCA. If you meant Country then I think you need to do a little more research before posting such negative sweeping statements about animal charities in general. Second Chance Animal Rescue in Clare took in an abandoned tom cat for us last week. The poor cat had been hanging around a relative of mines house for months. He was absolutely battered from fighting with other males and had begun to starve.

My relative had been feeding him for a few weeks as he realised the cat was a stray. He is moving next week and has 2 cats of his own and wasn't in a position to keep him, but wouldn't leave him on the streets. SCAR had us take him to a local vet where he would be given treatment for his injuries and neutered. He would then be taken to their shelter and looked after until he is adopted. If he is not adopted he will remain with them permanently as they are a no-kill shelter.

Rescues around the Country are overwhelmed with abandoned animals and are desperate for donations. Please think before starting threads that could damage their reputations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Did you mean County or Country? I ask because I admire the work done by LAW, Limerick Feral Cats and LSPCA. If you meant Country then I think you need to do a little more research before posting such negative sweeping statements about animal charities in general. Second Chance Animal Rescue in Clare took in an abandoned tom cat for us last week. The poor cat had been hanging around a relative of mines house for months. He was absolutely battered from fighting with other males and had begun to starve.

My relative had been feeding him for a few weeks as he realised the cat was a stray. He is moving next week and has 2 cats of his own and wasn't in a position to keep him, but wouldn't leave him on the streets. SCAR had us take him to a local vet where he would be given treatment for his injuries and neutered. He would then be taken to their shelter and looked after until he is adopted. If he is not adopted he will remain with them permanently as they are a no-kill shelter.

Rescues around the Country are overwhelmed with abandoned animals and are desperate for donations. Please think before starting threads that could damage their reputations.

The rescues involved are quite a bit further away than SCAR, which also do fantastic work and I would be happy to support them any day of the week, along with Limerick Feral Cats and the LSPCA. And many other rescues from neighbouring counties.

The only rescues I am speaking about are fundraising using chuggers, none of the locals do that. Meaning that not all of the money goes to helping animals, and people are being bothered by people coming to their doors.

When I said support your local charity, I did mean whatever charity is local to you personally. Apologies I should have worded my post better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Paws?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Could be a scam charity also,people give a lot when they hear animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    The rescues involved are quite a bit further away than SCAR, which also do fantastic work and I would be happy to support them any day of the week, along with Limerick Feral Cats and the LSPCA. And many other rescues from neighbouring counties.

The only rescues I am speaking about are fundraising using chuggers, none of the locals do that. Meaning that not all of the money goes to helping animals, and people are being bothered by people coming to their doors.

When I said support your local charity, I did mean whatever charity is local to you personally. Apologies I should have worded my post better.
    I'm glad we cleared that up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Doom wrote: »
    Paws?
    That's one of them according to the FB post, yes.
    bigpink wrote: »
    Could be a scam charity also,people give a lot when they hear animals
    No, as far as I am aware they are both legitimate charities that do great work, I personally however do not support any charity that uses chuggers. And I like to supposed local charities.
    I'm glad we cleared that up:)
    As am I, I should have been clearer, you were completely right to call me out on it :).

Advertisement