Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emergency question ref 63 amp breaker

Options
  • 27-04-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

So basically main switch has burnt out and is stuck off. All I have right now is a c20 breaker . Could I run a few lights an a socket for fridge an stuff of this SAFELY ! Alternatively is anyone near cDublin 7 to sell me one !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

To be honest it doesn't sound like a bad solution if your stuck. But please only attempt if you know what your doing.

You'll run more than a few lights off a 20a breaker.

You'll probably be able to get a main switch / fuse in woodies tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

To be honest it doesn't sound like a bad solution if your stuck. But please only attempt if you know what your doing.

You'll run more than a few lights off a 20a breaker.

You'll probably be able to get a main switch / fuse in woodies tomorrow...

Im a spark . But I just dont have a breaker ! Its actually a c20 rcbo . Il throw it in for now . Or all our food is gone ! I try b an q tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Sure your main incomer is fused at the ESB supply. I'd be connecting it into the bus bar directly and swap it out Monday morning.

Any chance you know the reason for the Main sw burning out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If its an rcbo you'll need to pass the neutral through it.

Or I guess you could loop the live out to neutral out, then put the incoming power to live in and take the output from neutral in. I've never tried this but in theory it should work.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Sure your main incomer is fused at the ESB supply. I'd be connecting it into the bus bar directly and swap it out Monday morning.

Any chance you know the reason for the Main sw burning out?
    Iv no idea why . Im hoping its just oldness ! I think il do this or just loop a bit of cable through the neutral for now til the morning and I can see a bit better

• Advertisement

So got power goin anyway . Connected main neutral through rcbo and back out . Its not ideal but will do. Although if a mod wants to delete this thread in case a diy enthusiast decides to give it a go thats fine . ! Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

aodhan2 wrote: »
    So got power goin anyway . Connected main neutral through rcbo and back out . Its not ideal but will do. Although if a mod wants to delete this thread in case a diy enthusiast decides to give it a go thats fine . ! Thanks lads

Could have ran the live through the rcbo in both directions. Bit easier than involving neutral for a temporary setup.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Could have ran the live through the rcbo in both directions. Bit easier than involving neutral for a temporary setup.

Too tired to think but prob should of , ye ! Ten at night , tired !
    Thanks

Advertisement