Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why was I charged a customs tax?

• 27-04-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I bought cosmetics from a UK company and I asked my mam to pick it up from the Post Office, they made her pay up €35 customs charge!
    I thought there was no customs charges for items bought within the EU.
    Am I wrong? Is there customs charges on 'cosmetics'?
    The box was marked 'cosmetics'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

How much was your package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did the UK company send directly to you or drop-ship from USA/Hong Kong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

bytheglass wrote: »
    I bought cosmetics from a UK company and I asked my mam to pick it up from the Post Office, they made her pay up €35 customs charge!
    The box was marked 'cosmetics'.

Just because it's a UK company does not mean they ship all their stuff from the UK, it could have been shipped from Jersey and that is not in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Just because it's a UK company does not mean they ship all their stuff from the UK, it could have been shipped from Jersey and that is not in the EU.

You're right. I looked up the website and they are based in Jersey. I won't fall for that one again!
    Such a bummer, package contents were only worth €129

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

You're right. I looked up the website and they are based in Jersey. I won't fall for that one again!
    Such a bummer, package contents were only worth €129

Was it feelunique.com?

If it was they have said that they will refund any customs charges.
    As long as you provide proof of the charges.

http://www.feelunique.com/help/21492738/topic/22143637-vat-and-customs-tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Was it feelunique.com?

If it was they have said that they will refund any customs charges.
    As long as you provide proof of the charges.

http://www.feelunique.com/help/21492738/topic/22143637-vat-and-customs-tax

Wow Proco jr, thanks so much! It was in fact feelunique.com so I'll let them know straight away.
    That's brilliant, thanks for the insight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Let us know how quick you receive the refund.
    Handy to know for anyone reading this in the future.

I've ordered off them before but it was only for 20 odd quid so it managed to slip by customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I got stung for customs on a feelunique package a couple of weeks ago. Emailed them a photo of the bill and they refunded my money within an hour. Bill was 16 euro, but they gave me back £16.

The most annoying thing was that it sat in customs for nearly three weeks and I thought it had been lost in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most Perfumes are excisable and so you are liable for some charges even if posted from England, not sure if any other cosmetics are subject to excise duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

My feelunique order which was placed on 13 December arrived today together with a customs charge of €43.40. Don't need most of the items now as they were small gifts for my family to put into crackers on Xmas day. I checked the t/c before I ordered and it said that the prices included UK vat so I thought that meant it was ok. However, to be fair to the Irish Customs it was shipped via the Netherlands and the country of origin was Jersey, so they're not to know that the VAT was included.
    I've copied them with the customs charge as they say on the website that they'll refund charges if copies are submitted. Let's hope so, I'll be hesitant to use them again though as it's not worth the hassle and I didn't save enough originally to make it worthwhile. As things stand now I'm way out of pocket compared to shopping locally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement