Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choke Problem

• 27-04-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Recently got a bike (125cc) got it today and am having problems with the choke.

It starts up fine will just about full choke on but when driving and I turn the choke off it cuts out the second I move the choke lever.

I even tried it when idle and felt the engine was hot and the second I touched the choke lever to turn it off it cud out straight away.

Thing is when I leave it just about full choke open, it runs fine, its not over revving and staying at around 2000 rpm when idle.

The bike got serviced today by a registered dealer before I bought it off the fella.

Just wondering what the problem is?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Blocked jet, dirt in the carb?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

You can ride with the choke half way on for a bit (not too long though) until the engine is warm and then turn it off. If you are already riding the bike it won't cut out. When I turn off the choke on my bike I don't let it rev down to idle but gfive it gas and set off immediately. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

bladespin wrote: »

Could be, was thinking it was something to do with too much air getting in?

Must give the fella a text back, he drove it out to me today no bother, really confused with the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

What bike is it? YoU might need to adjust the idle control. It's usually down near the carbs on the left. If it is down too low the carbs aren't getting enough to keep the engine tickIng over when idling.

Could be, was thinking it was something to do with too much air getting in?

Must give the fella a text back, he drove it out to me today no bother, really confused with the problem is.

It's possible there's an air leak, is it a new bike, was it sitting up a while?

• Advertisement

What bike is it? YoU might need to adjust the idle c

I know your going to laugh but a Keeway Speed 125.

I know about the bad reviews but my friend has had one for ages and up to now has never given him trouble.

How do I go about adjusting the idle?

It's possible there's an air leak, is it a new bike, was it sitting up a while?

Nope hes being using it to go from and to work everyday so definitely not been left idle for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its the little screw on the carb

Its the little screw on the carb

Not necessarily that screw. I can't listen to that YouTube video at the moment but I'm pretty sure that's for adjusting the pilot jets on the carb. That would be to change the amount of fuel getting to the carbs at low revs. This may be the problem but first you could try adjusting the idle. When you push/pull the choke lever, follow it down to the carbs and see where it connects down there. There will be another connection down there as well usually leading out to the left side of the bike. If you run the adjuster one way you will increase the idle speed, the other way decreases it. On phone now so hard to post up links.

Not necessarily that screw. I can't listen to that YouTube video at the moment but I'm pretty sure that's for adjusting the pilot jets on the carb. That would be to change the amount of fuel getting to the carbs at low revs. This may be the problem but first you could try adjusting the idle. When you push/pull the choke lever, follow it down to the carbs and see where it connects down there. There will be another connection down there as well usually leading out to the left side of the bike. If you run the adjuster one way you will increase the idle speed, the other way decreases it. On phone now so hard to post up links.

Thanks,

But its not just when its idle, even when I bring it for a spin and I turn the choke off, it cuts out.

• Advertisement

http://whytlash.powweb.com/mixscrews/idle%20knob.jpg

Photo of what I'm talking about on that link.

http://whytlash.powweb.com/mixscrews/idle%20knob.jpg

Photo of what I'm talking about on that link.

Cant seem to locate it.

Here's the choke control:

8nNVb6ll.jpg

Heres the carb:

XpDoUGKl.jpg

Heres the fuel switch, I think its in the right position yeah?

0bOyXPMl.jpg

And heres another view of the carb from the other side:

txJqMral.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Considering you say that when the choke is on full, it is only idling at ~2000rpm, I would imagine that the idle is set way too low which is causing it to cut out with no choke.

Theres a flat head screw on your carb (2nd picture) just above the float tank and below the slider.
    Start the bike with the choke on, as the revs increase be ready with your screwdriver to turn that screw so as the revs decrease.

carbs.jpg

In the user manual found here http://www.keeway.co.nz/Speed%20User%20manual.pdf
    They recommend the idle speed be set at around 1400 rpm when the choke is off. As posted above, the adjustment screw is probably set too far out.

Best of luck with it

Theres a flat head screw on your carb (2nd picture) just above the float tank and below the slider.
    Start the bike with the choke on, as the revs increase be ready with your screwdriver to turn that screw so as the revs decrease.

carbs.jpg

So will i turn the screw in till the revs decrease to 1400 or turn it out?

First, does turning that screw change the revs at all? Or does petrol start coming out from it.If petrol comes out from it its the wrong screw. If it does change the revs, get it to 1400 when the choke is off.
    If petrol came out just tighten it back in again.

First, does turning that screw change the revs at all? Or does petrol start coming out from it.If petrol comes out from it its the wrong screw. If it does change the revs, get it to 1400 when the choke is off.
    If petrol came out just tighten it back in again.

Not with the bike atm but should I adjust it when the choke is fully open? Adjust it to 1400 and then close the choke?

And I'm guessing I turn the screw clockwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd say what has happened is that there is dirt blocking the pilot jet.
    The pilot jet controls the fuelling up to 1/4 throttle and the main jet takes over from there.
    When the jet is blocked the mixture is too lean and thats why the engine only runs with choke on full.
    You need to take the carb off and see if the jets are clear then reassemble.
    2nd photo the brass screw in the middle of the carb is the idle screw, this will push the carb slide up and down to control idle.
    2nd photo the carb drain screw is the one right at the bottom of the float bowl.
    This will drain the float bowl of any petrol and dirt/water thats in it.
    The little rubber hose that leads from the bottom of the carb is where the petrol will come out of if this is backed out.
    1.First off tap the body of the carb with a screwdriver handle to dislodge any dirt that might be sticking.
    Then get a clean container to drain the carb into.
    Turn off the fuel tap and undo the little screw on the float bowl and catch the fuel in your container.
    Check for water/dirt.
    Is it clean with no dirt or water in it?
    Tighten the screw back up and refill the carb and see if it runs better.
    If it doesn't then you need to take the carb off and clean it manually.
    When you take the jets out use a brass wire from a wirebrush to clean the jet and remove any blockages.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd say what has happened is that there is dirt blocking the pilot jet.
    The pilot jet controls the fuelling up to 1/4 throttle and the main jet takes over from there.
    When the jet is blocked the mixture is too lean and thats why the engine only runs with choke on full.
    You need to take the carb off and see if the jets are clear then reassemble.
    2nd photo the brass screw in the middle of the carb is the idle screw, this will push the carb slide up and down to control idle.
    2nd photo the carb drain screw is the one right at the bottom of the float bowl.
    This will drain the float bowl of any petrol and dirt/water thats in it.
    The little rubber hose that leads from the bottom of the carb is where the petrol will come out of if this is backed out.
    1.First off tap the body of the carb with a screwdriver handle to dislodge any dirt that might be sticking.
    Then get a clean container to drain the carb into.
    Turn off the fuel tap and undo the little screw on the float bowl and catch the fuel in your container.
    Check for water/dirt.
    Is it clean with no dirt or water in it?
    Tighten the screw back up and refill the carb and see if it runs better.
    If it doesn't then you need to take the carb off and clean it manually.
    When you take the jets out use a brass wire from a wirebrush to clean the jet and remove any blockages.

Think that might be the problem, she wont start on full choke now either

• Advertisement

Think that might be the problem, she wont start on full choke now either
    Easy to check with a flat head screwdriver and something to catch the petrol.
    It would be worthwhile fitting a fuel filter as well.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Easy to check with a flat head screwdriver and something to catch the petrol.
    It would be worthwhile fitting a fuel filter as well.

Drained the fuel out of the carb still no joy just wont start, its like the petrol isnt getting to the engine, when we kickstart it, it starts for a sec and cuts out

Drained the fuel out of the carb still no joy just wont start, its like the petrol isnt getting to the engine, when we kickstart it, it starts for a sec and cuts out
    Pull the carb and clean it out.

Cough, :P

Cough, :P

She seems to be working now :) Empied the fuel out of it, I'd say it was dirty, put new fuel into her, got her to run and shes starting not a bother now :) choke is working again aswell, id say the old petrol was in it a while, probably destroyed the carb, but the new petrol seemed to have cleaned it out :)

Hopefully she will be grand now, shes been running fine for a couple of hours now, even starting her in the cold, perfect.

Advertisement