Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you found money

• 28-04-2013 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

As the title says.
    Say like IF you found some money outside, do you keep it?
    I once found a tenner outside a chipper and was chuffed,
    Not thinking of the person that lost it.
    Thoughts folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

if you don't see the person dropping it or looking for it, it's fair game IMO

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Yep. Found 50's, 20's, I'm constantly finding money. I always keep it unless I think I know who the owner might be

I lost a wallet with 100e in it last year. Still trying to claw that back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I would keep it, if it's 50 or less. The way I see it , it's impossible to identify the owner of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Throw it in to the Garda station,if it's unclaimed after a year you keep it.If the owner claims it,fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If I heard that someone had reported loss of money and it was over 50 or 100 euro I'd consider returning it but I've lost money before and not had it returned so general attitude would be 'poor you/lucky me' TBH

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

Throw it in to the Garda station,if it's unclaimed after a year you keep it.If the owner claims it,fair enough.

I thought the rest of that post was going to be about how they need the money so badly to replace their fleet of Ford Mondeos with a million miles on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Omar187

Never knew that.
    Always thought the boys in blue kept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Omar187 wrote: »
    Never knew that.
    Always thought the boys in blue kept it.
    Only amounts over €4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You must be having a boring night tonight Omar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Definitely a case of finders keepers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Omar187

omahaid wrote: »
    You must be having a boring night tonight Omar?

Why because i'm posting on Boards.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Don't throw it to Balbriggan it'll go missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Throw it into the Garda station?! No way, sure money isn't even safe there anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

recently while tut tuting the american couple in front of me at the cash machine for taking so . long i found eighty quid.when they had finished..in the cash slot..i went after them to return said notes..man they were so happy..lesson..as a human ..dont take greedily anything you dont own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

When I was 10 I was queuing up with the folks in the cinema to see terminator 3 and saw a €20 note lying on the floor just front of the counter. At that age €20 was a small fortune so needless to say I pocketed it as soon as we got to the counter!:D

Another time during TY a few years ago myself and a few mates were sitting outside a corner shop having lunch. It was a very windy day and next thing you know at least €250 in cash started blowing around us so we all started going mad and frantically picking the notes up and about to pocket them when a lad came around the corner saying the money blew out of his hands after taking it out of the ATM so we had to hand them all back! :(

I'll hand money back when I find it if I see someone looking for it but if not I'll hang onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The real question is if someone dropped their wallet and while trying to locate them you discover they're on big money... maybe a politician or banker. Do you still return it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I wouldnt be so sure.

€4K went missing in a garda station recently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I lose mone all the time,by not keeping it in a wallet

if it was a large amount I would hand it in,if its a small amount just keep it,people will not report small amounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yes, I would. I've dropped plenty of tenners and never found any money. I think karma owes me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Years ago I was working in a shop, gazing out the window, we were situated on the corner and across the road on a the other corner was a pub. This man came walking along past the pub and I see him pull his wallet out and drop a something that's slightly folded up and orange in color, he continued across the street and passed our shop, I ran out, across the road to the pub and sure enough, the orange note was 50e... Ran back across and past my shop towards him all "excuse me, I saw you drop this". He literally turned, looked at me, looked at the 50e, took it off me, turned on his heel and walked away......... I was raging!! No thank you, nothing. Bastid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

Maudi wrote: »
    recently while tut tuting the american couple in front of me at the cash machine for taking so . long i found eighty quid.when they had finished..in the cash slot..i went after them to return said notes..man they were so happy..lesson..as a human ..dont take greedily anything you dont own.

Same situation but with a woman on a mobile phone, with a fistful of fifties. Gave me a filthy look altogether when I shouted at her to stop, which she seemed content to pretend never happen when switching over to gushingly grateful.

I should have told her if she really wanted to thank me she could promise to not hang up the phone whenever she's crossing the road. Plainly she's got the multi-tasking thing mastered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Found £60 back in the early 90's when I was in school and handed it in to the principle as their was document wrapped around it. Turned out to be someone's dole. Also found €20 on the street coming home from work just before Christmas but I donated that to SSF. Usually though, small amounts with little hope of identification are fair game in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

charity begins at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Side of the fence, op :P
    Everyone hates to lose money but everyone loves to find money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

If I was walking down the street and found money I would keep it straight away. If I found an envelope with a few hundred euro in it I would keep that too.

If I was somewhere where I might know people and found money I would make an effort to trace the owner, such as in my tennis club, or at a friend's house party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Found 50 or less, one was around so kept it, Also found a wallet where I worked checked to find a contact number nothing there was at least 400 in it. A few hours later a man came in wanted me to check the cameras as his wallet was robed. Asked him what logo was on it " apple logo" he said then I handed back his wallet checked it and left no thanks at all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Keep it and keep your mouth shut for god's sake. As Vito Genovese once said never let your conscience get in the way of potential means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I found 50 euro. Naturally, I reported it as income so that I could properly pay taxes on it.

Anything less would be stealing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i work in retail store and amount of cash you find is beyond amazing some weeks.but i follow few simple rules if money was found outside the shop you keep it,unless its a wallet.If money found inside the shop and person isn't there anymore up to 50e you keep it,if its 50 hand it to management.
    Its beyond amazing how some people treat money they would stuff 50s notes into their back pocket with half of it hanging out and yet be surprised to lose it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Hogata

Depends how much .
    10E ? - will buy a pint ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Maudi wrote: »

Thousands of people leave money behind in ATM's. Here are two recent examples from the local papers.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/darcy-helps-hunt-for-atm-cash-owner-29028193.html

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local/mystery-good-samaritan-returns-forgotten-atm-money-to-kildare-man-1-5014420

“The next thing I got a tap on the shoulder, and a woman said ‘you left that behind you’, giving me the money,” said Patrick.

“I was stunned, I still can’t get over it,” he added.

Why should Patrick have been stunned? Would he not have done the same himself in the same situation. Why would he expect anything less off others? The "Thank God there are still a few honest people left" attitude puzzles me, I don't remember any golden age when people were more honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you find a wallet,keep the cash and hand in the wallet.The cash is your reward for saving her/him the hassle with bank cards etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Keep it. I left my wallet on the bus last week, called the bus depot at clontarf, it was there. Went all the way to get it, someone had taken 30 quid out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Found a purse left behind once in the little shop I worked in as a teenager. There was no contact number in it so rang the bank and gave her card number and asked could they ring her and tell her that her purse was in X shop. They were very nice and had no problem doing it.

The nicest thing was when she came in she had a thank you card for me with £20 in it and had tears in her eyes as she explained to me that she'd recently lost her son and all the pictures of him in her purse were her favourites and she carried them everywhere. She thought she'd never get them back and was just so grateful, didn't give a fiddlers about money, cards or her licence only her photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Twice I've misplaced my wallet and both times someone has been kind enough to get back to me. I'm ever grateful to them and returned the favor by giving them a thank you card with a small token for them.

Once Learning experience which angered me!! I work in retail one of our regular customers came in one day who stopped and picked up a bag on the road side so left it into the store. I've often handled lost goods if persons don't come back within a period of time I'd drop it into local Garda station many people often coming back to say thank you!

Anyhow it turns out the owner of the bag did return saying she thought she had dropped her bag while driving away from the store that morning it was in fact her bag I remembered her as I had personally served her myself and would have returned approx €30 in change. Sadly for her the contends of her bag were there including wallet but no the cash was gone. I thought nothing of it she was grateful to get her bag back much to my horror Gardaí arrived back later she had implied that I had taken €300 I was mortified & deeply insulted.

I had clearly seen her wallet earlier and I can tell you there wasn't that amount of cash there!! Also pretty hard to conceal etc! Regardless I also told her that it was another person who had dropped the bag in. She had also stated that she thought she had dropped it out of her car. She was told the circumstances when she collected the bag had elected not to tell the Gardaí this. I had to review CCTV proving she had indeed left the shop with her bag, show the return of the bag and show her original transaction with her wallet in full view of CCTV (grateful!). I also knew the fella that dropped the bag in so they were forced to go talk to him too needless to say I don't think they believed her that she even had that amount of cash on her either. :mad: A kind gesture by one man resulted in us been questioned I doubt if someone was kind enough to drop bag in they wouldn't have fcuken robbed the contents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

UCDVet wrote: »
    I found 50 euro. Naturally, I reported it as income so that I could properly pay taxes on it.

Anything less would be stealing!

Surely you should be paying capital gains tax rather than income tax:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

cuana wrote: »
    TI thought nothing of it she was grateful to get her bag back much to my horror Gardaí arrived back later she had implied that I had taken €300 I was mortified & deeply insulted.

Unfortunately, I suspect she was trying to fraud her insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

discus wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I suspect she was trying to fraud her insurance.

yes its likely! but what did she expect of course they'd investigate, it was deeply humiliating! horrible person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I found fifty euro in a book I had bought in a charity shop. It could have been there for years, almost definitely nothing to do with the shop so I kept it. Spent some of it back at the shop buying more books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Omar187 wrote: »
    As the title says.
    Say like IF you found some money outside, do you keep it?
    I once found a tenner outside a chipper and was chuffed,
    Not thinking of the person that lost it.
    Thoughts folks.

Have found several wallets with cash & cards inside and all but one was returned to owner with assistance from the banks. The one that wasn't: I found a wallet at work with cards inside; phoned relevant bank who said they'd contact & inform person of where his wallet is. That was over 2months ago & wallet and cards still in drawer at work.

Found a 50euro note outside a supermarket one day; dropped it in to Customer Service who took my details. Phoned me a week later saying no-one had called enquiring and asked if I wanted to collect it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Just about to walk in to a pub on xmas eve a few years ago,there on the ground outside, were four €50 notes stuck to the wet pavement...:eek:

Dived on them,and just as I was peeling them off the ground,this old woman from across the road started to shout out to me "heeer,heeer youngfella!!.....Ye dropped another one!!".waving another €50 note at me..

I said "Thanks very much,your very honest"took it off her and skipped into the pub...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A few years ago i lost my wallet with credits cards,atm card etc and about 60 euro cash.
    I had'nt even realised i had lost it when the guy who found it tracked me down to my work place.
    He told me his wife lost her purse before and he knew the hassle it caused with cancelling cards etc.
    I offered the guy 20 euro reward and he insisted he didnt want it but i made him take it.
    Anyway the next day a rainy day i was walking by the court house and there were about 20 members of the travelling community standing around outside talking about up comming cases.
    Then i spotted a wet 20 euro stuck to the footpath directing in front of them.
    I said to myself will i take it,there has to be a catch here,this is a set up.
    This is too obvious.
    Any way i put my foot on the 20 euro ,bend down and picked it up.
    I was waiting for the whack on the back of the head or something.
    But nope off i went with it and no one noticed.
    I checked the note yup was genuine.
    I guess it was karma for giving the 20 euro to the guy the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

When I was working at the time of the Galway races I fount a 50 note and 4 €20 notes and 2 fivers all a different locations through out the night.

If I found a wallet I would try to return it to its owner with all it's contents, but cash by its self without seeing someone drop it or looking for it, it's mine then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Cash on the floor and no obvious owner around it's mine but wallet or purse with ID in it I would return however, wallets returned to rightful owners are not always grateful or appreciated.

My OH remember when as a 12 year old ,she found a wallet on her street with a large amount of money with some ID inside and recognising the owners name as somebody who lived further down their road , she went and knocked on the door and the owner who without as much as a thank you, took it off her and just shut the door in her face .

When she explained to her dad what she had done with the wallet and the response of the neighbour he confronted the guy and told him in no uncertain terms ( to put it mildly ) ''he was a ungrateful bollix '' who should have shown a bit of gratitude towards his daughter who was only doing what she had been brought up to do and he didn't deserve to have his wallet returned .Of course yer man was all apologetic then ....but to late .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Eunan Plumb

Katunga wrote: »
    When I was working at the time of the Galway races I fount a 50 note and 4 €20 notes and 2 fivers all a different locations through out the night.

If I found a wallet I would try to return it to its owner with all it's contents, but cash by its self without seeing someone drop it or looking for it, it's mine then.

I have to say that would be my approach too.....be a bit reluctant to hand in at the cop shop given the recent happenings in Balbriggan Gda Stn.

Only the tip of the iceberg I would say.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I found a purse in the grounds of a hospital car park a few years ago. There was a fair sum of cash in it, as well as cards, photos, mementoes, etc. Handed it in at the front desk, gave my name and number and explained where I had found it. Thought no more about it. A couple of hours later I got a call from the elderly woman who owned the purse to thank me for being honest and handing it in. She was delighted to have it returned.

A few days later I was back at the hospital again and was walking past the desk when the receptionist called out to me. She recognised me and handed me an envelope. It was a thank you card with €50 inside from the owner of the purse to say thank you. It was such an unnecessary gesture on her behalf and then I felt great about handing it in in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When I was about 7, the school had us clean up the school grounds (days before health & safety) and I found £5.00, to a 7 year old many years ago that was serious money. Being the honest child I gave it to the teacher who told me she would drop it to the Garda station after work. Never saw the £5.00 again.
    Next time I found money I kept my mouth shut and put into my pocket, and myself and friends overdosed on E numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I found €600 once. It was in a wallet left in some old mans back pocket on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Thousands of people leave money behind in ATM's. Here are two recent examples from the local papers.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/darcy-helps-hunt-for-atm-cash-owner-29028193.html

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local/mystery-good-samaritan-returns-forgotten-atm-money-to-kildare-man-1-5014420

“The next thing I got a tap on the shoulder, and a woman said ‘you left that behind you’, giving me the money,” said Patrick.

“I was stunned, I still can’t get over it,” he added.

Why should Patrick have been stunned? Would he not have done the same himself in the same situation. Why would he expect anything less off others? The "Thank God there are still a few honest people left" attitude puzzles me, I don't remember any golden age when people were more honest.

If they had left the cash in the drawer of the ATM after about 20 seconds the machine would have taken the cash back in and cancelled the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I'd definitley keep it

• Advertisement
Advertisement