Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a sun holiday for solo traveller

• 28-04-2013 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get away on my own for a week in august, I don't necessarily need a place with great night life but I wouldn't mind that option, basically I'm looking for a beach, good weather but also be close enough to do some touristy things and not just a holiday resort and I'm looking for it to be relatively close so it must be in europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

The Sunset Beach Club in Benalmadena Spain would be my recommendation. If you check their website the cost is for the apartment and not per person. Yes it is mainly used by families but solo travellers use it as well (but mainly in the winter when it is beautiful there as well.) short flight to Malaga and 15 min taxi ride and you are at the hotel. Lots to do in the area and the hotel has a desk to advise you on tours, car hire or golf. Free activities every day as well from cooking to archery or you can sit by the pool and read your book. Hope you have a great break wherever you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Salou, Spain might suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Barcelona/Sitges or Nice. San Sebastian would be another option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Barcelona/Sitges or Nice. San Sebastian would be another option.

thinking Barcelona or Lisbon , which would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 12 decriain

I think the important thing for a solo traveller is not where u go, but what options are available.

I *really* recommend going on a trip with Exodus and Explore. THey are excellent and a great way to meet other people. I have been on the Atlas Descent Bike Trip in Morocco, Lake Garda Mountain Biking, Sea Kayaking in Greece and the wonderful Multi-Activity in Turkey. HOnestly, they are wonderful.

If u decide to go fully solo, my main tips would be go to Eastern Europe (for great value and things to do) and then...

1. Stay in hostels, they are THE BEST place to meet other travelers.

2. If there are no hostels, go on 1 or 2 day activity outings, e.g. diving, climbing, canyoning, etc. They are another great way to meet people.

3. Carry your smartphone with you and join websites like Travlbuddy, Wandermates.com and VivTrav to help meet other people (like me http://www.wandermates.com/profileview.php?profileuserid=9 :) None of them are perfect, but they are useful.

4. Go on a backpacker-type bus tour, e.g. Paddywagon or Backpacker tours. They are brilliant also and a great way to hook w the ladies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement