Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amusements On Bray Seafront?

• 28-04-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

Trying to find out if anyone can remember the name of the small amusements that used to be on the seafront.

Its not Dawsons, Star, Fun Palace.

Its beside the Esplanade Hotel, and it always had that Water Gun Game Outside.

I know it was closed and then remember seeing it as being pink, was a gym or exercise studio.

Anyone remember the name of the Amusements-Arcade that was there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Loppy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are there any arcades left on Bray prom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Trying to find out if anyone can remember the name of the small amusements that used to be on the seafront.

Its not Dawsons, Star, Fun Palace.

Its beside the Esplanade Hotel, and it always had that Water Gun Game Outside.

I know it was closed and then remember seeing it as being pink, was a gym or exercise studio.

Anyone remember the name of the Amusements-Arcade that was there?

I seem to remember that years back (1970s) it was called the "Golden Metro".:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

loyatemu wrote: »
    are there any arcades left on Bray prom?

The star and fun palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The star and fun palace.

Only the shít ones left.

Star a huge building with a handful of games, load of crap tbh...

I'm gonna buy loads of old arcade games and reopen loppy's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Only the shít ones left.

Star a huge building with a handful of games, load of crap tbh...

I'm gonna buy loads of old arcade games and reopen loppy's ;)

Once Street Fighter entered the market it was the end for the 10p machine.

Adios to 1942, R-Type, Commando, Shinobi, Ghosts and Goblins, The Wardener etc etc....

They could get a pound from kids who'd lose quicker. I miss being able to head to the Fun Palace with 40p and play Return of the Jedi for a couple of hours. Or down to The Star for an epic game of Spyhunter.

If they installed some retro games, they could clean up... maybe an idea for Summerfest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

When I used to frequent the "Fun Palace" it was the dodgems that were the main attraction and the laughing policeman! Video arcade games hadn't been invented and the place was full of one arm bandits, allwin machines and penny falls. I seem to remember that they also had a ghost train and a crazy mirror maze. There was another smaller arcade squeezed in between the Fun Palace and the road up from the seafront, and which from memory did excellent fish 'n' chips and, of course, ice cream wafers. You tell young people today....:D

owaw28.jpg

An Allwin machine - this one dispensed Spangles to the lucky (?) winner. I used to be a dab hand at a similar one in the "Fun Palace" which dispensed Kit Kat, and you couldn't lose once you learnt just how far to pull down the lever.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Loppy's.
    Oh my god that memory was doing my head in for ages I used to love it down there. My grandad used to take me there and we'd play with the water guns. Some of my best memories of Bray as a child seem to be either closed down or demolished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mint1

Could someone please tell me what bus goes to or close to bray seaport from The city centre?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

145 will take you as far as the mainstreet and you can walk to the beach from there. Alternatively the dart is pretty much on the seafront. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Worked in the Fun Palace in 1983 (I think) during my Summer Holidays.
    Was on the bumpers mainly and sometimes the speedway.
    In hindsight the wages were shocking, it was a long week and wouldn't pass page 1 of a health and safety manual these days, but nonetheless I look back on that time with great memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Mint1 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what bus goes to or close to bray seaport from The city centre?

Thanks

The train is nearer, get the Dart to Bray and you're on the seafront in 2 mins from the station

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Used to work in Dawson's 1997 spinning the Waltzers. I am surprised I didn't have more accidents tbh, surfing the boards was perilous at times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cilliant

just bought an old 2p slot machine that came out of fun palace bray from around the 70s very cool retro turns on and lights up not spinning tho hopefully wont take to much to fix :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Loppy's where the jukebox had Led Zeppelin "the Song Remains the Same" album on it, and 30p could buy you an hour of music.

Video from the RTE Archives - For those who remember the Fun Palace (Dawsons, I think it was called in the 60's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Fun Palace was/is opposite where the Sealife Aquarium is and Dawsons was at the Bray Head end of the Prom. Great video clip - thanks for posting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

In the late 80s/ early 90s Loppy's* was starting to lose money and wasn't a viable business any more.
    They decided to do something a bit different and made all the arcade machines free and charged £1 in at the door.

I remember being in heaven - imagine as a kid pressing the "credit" button repeatedly and getting unlimited lives!
    Unfortunately the game selection wasn't great - they'd sold off all the good machines to try to save themselves.
    I remember mitching off from school one day and managing to complete Moonwalker and Sunset Riders.

The novelty quickly wore off and a few months later the place was closed, and remained closed for a long time.

*I'm presuming Loppy's is the name of the place that is now a Crossfit gym?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

fjon wrote: »
    In the late 80s/ early 90s Loppy's* was starting to lose money and wasn't a viable business any more.
    They decided to do something a bit different and made all the arcade machines free and charged £1 in at the door.

I remember being in heaven - imagine as a kid pressing the "credit" button repeatedly and getting unlimited lives!
    Unfortunately the game selection wasn't great - they'd sold off all the good machines to try to save themselves.
    I remember mitching off from school one day and managing to complete Moonwalker and Sunset Riders.

The novelty quickly wore off and a few months later the place was closed, and remained closed for a long time.

*I'm presuming Loppy's is the name of the place that is now a Crossfit gym?

I tried to keep them going by pumping money into this but to no avail unfortunately :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Loppy's used to be a snooker hall before they turned it into an aracade & then back into a snooker hall only again.

^ Yeah I remember the Mad Dog game that was one of my favourites, Ithought it was Mad Dog 2 they had tho.

Advertisement