Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM 2013-14 (BA(Hons) Degree Commercial Modern Music

Options
  • 28-04-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping that some students already doing this course will stroll by and please help out with information over the next few months.

My daughter has applied for the Songwriting strand but we know little about the nitty gritty.

I'm trying to work on the accommodation aspect and following the DIT accommodation links but my first thought is that accommodation is going to be troublesome as a music student is bound to be noisier than average (with some guitar strumming/singing/keyboard etc) and therefore halls of residence wouldn't be the best place to live. Even flats and houses that are inhabited by non-music students would present a problem. How do present students work around this? Do you do all your practical work/practising in college and save the written work for home? What happens if the muse strikes at home?

Is there a notice board/info centre in the college with accommodation shares advertised?

Wha is the 1st year timetable like in terms of classess and hours? Is it a straight day/week or more staggered?

Do many of you hold down part-time-jobs to supplement income and grants? Is it possible to busk in Dublin to supplement your income ,or is that a bit iffy?

Is money extra to general maintenance needed to attend gigs etc and keep in the music scene. Is much extra finance needed for books/instruments/field trips etc/

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Contact details for one of the programme co-ordinators

Hothan Isman
    Student Support & Quality Manager
    BIMM Dublin
    hothanisman@bimm.ie
    +353 1 513 3666

Should be able to answer any queries directly related to the course. In terms of accommodation, there's not any official DIT accommodation but they have relationships with various private providers. - http://www.ditsu.ie/welfare/accommodation/

I suggest this Facebook group also for pairing up with people -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/136102446407586/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Thank you for that, Voltwad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gnicireland

How are ya pal?

Second year BA Songwriting student here. In terms of accommodation, a regular house is the way you want to go. I'm lucky enough to live on a bus route that goes by my front door and the top of Francis Street so I didn't have to move out just yet. The way it's worked with the country boys is basically a house being the most stress-free thing for all. My drummer lives in Harold's Cross and loves it. Plenty of places a short bus journey away to stay.
    There were people living in the Griffith College accommodation and stuff like that but it's not suitable. You need to practice at home, sometimes with multiple people, there's no way around it. In that Griffith College place, there were lads in luminous jackets banging down the door every ten minutes, that wasn't anything obnoxious like drums or amplification either.
    A lot of the time sleeping arrangements are basically everyone back to a house and sleep where you can. If you take it year by year, it's very community based. People spend a lot of time together outside college. People are expected to work together.

There's no noticeboard for accommodation. If an individual person was looking for someone though, as long as they clear it with the college first, they can put one up no bother.

BA Year One Songwriting Classes are:

Songwriting Techniques 90mins
    Arrangement Analysis 90mins
    Theory & Notation 90mins
    Pre-Production 90mins
    Live Performance Workshop 120mins
    Artist Development 90mins
    Music Business 90mins (It rarely goes on much longer than an hour though)

When we were in first year it was: (split into groups 1+2)

Monday: Techniques, Arrangement Analysis (9am-12pm) (1:30pm-4:30pm)
    Tuesday: Theory, Pre-Production (9am-12pm) (1:30pm-4:30pm)
    Wednesday: LPW, Arist Development (9am-11am) (11am-1pm)
    Thursday Business

Artist Development and Business are with all the streams, not just songwriters so they're broken up into different time slots.

No college for BA students on Fridays as that's when the one-year diploma students have the use of the college. It's not a very intense schedule if truth be told. There are long gaps between classes though which I imagine will only get worse as more students arrive but there's usually a jam going on somewhere.

A few of the lads have jobs alright. I'm not sure how many come from outside Dublin though and have gotten a part-time job in Dublin to supplement for college. I'm sure there are a couple, but not a huge amount. You can busk in Dublin alright. If you're not doing it in Temple Bar, Grafton Street or to an extent, Henry Street, it's not really worth your while.
    They're pretty stitched up by professional street performers and bands like Keywest though who are always out. The lone busker gets lost in the fray a bit. Having said that three of us went out to try and score a bit of drinking money last year and got handed €20 off a yank because he loved Stevie Wonder. By all means go for it but it's far from a cash cow.
    With Grafton Street and Temple Bar, there are always plenty of Gards around so it's safe enough.

There will be a bit of extra cash required. There will be plenty of people starting in 2013 already in gigging bands and you do try and get out and see your mates and help them out by pushing their numbers up a bit, keeping the venue happy, which they should do in return for you.
    For practical assessments and auditions, if you want to do it properly, you will need to rent rehearsal space. There's one within walking distance of the college called The Black Pits which we've redubbed The Black ****s because it is woeful but for the most part it's cheap (€5 an hour during the day)
    Also a decent home recording set up will be required for Songwriting exams.

In terms of exams and grades, it's split into modules and then further into formative and summative assessments with formative accounting for 30% of the final grade and summative for 70%. There's only one exam for Year One Songwriters and that's the end of year theory exam which will be towards the end of May. Grading on the modules goes:

Songwriting Techniques: Two separate assessments both will be similar. Writing and recording 2 songs in contrasting styles to a pre-set brief.

Arrangement Analysis: Two 10 minute presentation on separate artists of your choosing going in depth into the arrangement and writing techniques they employed.

Theory & Notation: An assignment where the student will have to make out a lead sheet of one of their own songs notating the entire vocal line and guitar/piano accompaniment. Then the end of year exam.

Pre-Production & LPW: These are assessed together and will be done on an audition for the BIMM Live & Lyrical gig. The first, worth 30%, the second worth 70%.

Artist Development: An idea you had to make money in the music industry outside of performing. A proposal and then a presentation.

Music Business: Two separate essays on the music business.

There are two BIMM showcase gigs per term so six per year. There's

Live & Lyrical: The more songwriter-y gig of the two. All original material. Usually held on the main stage in Whelans. The audition for the gig also acts as the assessment for PP & LPW so all Songwriters must audition.

And

End Of Term: More musician-y. Original and covers too. Songwriters don't have to audition but they can if they like. Usually held in The Button Factory in the last week of term.

Don't put too much faith in making the gigs either. I've auditioned for two year's worth now and never made it to the stage despite scoring in the 70's and 80's in assessments. Only bit of advice I'd give is don't mind anyone else. Do your own thing.
    Also be prepared, if you're a songwriter, it's going to be you against the musicians. They think we can't play and have too many feelings :rolleyes: They're thick though. (All banter of course) Songwriting is where the money is at :pac: Haha

The college is getting better every term. It took it awhile to find it's feet, but now that it has it's really getting there. New building opening next year too. It's on the up. Don't worry, we'll look after her ;)

Hope this helps,

Gazza

Thanks so much for taking the time out to write up that, Gazza. It's absolutely brilliant and answers so many questions. Next year you should do it up into a booklet and hand around the auditions and flog it to them as they come out. :D I have a more than a clue now where to start with accommodation if and wwhen the time comes to start looking.

It sounds like a fun course, a million miles away from the usual music degrees. I have everything crossed now that she gets in.

Another question, if you don't mind. Are there ways and means (if class time allows) for sitting in on - I'm not sure what to term them - things like actual instrument tuition classes? Or is that definitely not an option and lessons would have to be paid for privately and outside the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gnicireland

You get one practical, one business and one theory tutorial a week. You don't have to do them but you can book one of each every week. They last 20 minutes and you can book a tutorial in any stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ShrugLife

Hey,

Interested reading. Would anyone have any advice or insight on the audition process? Particularly those currently studying under the songwriting stream. How did you prepare for the songwriting audition? Was there a specific criteria in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Hi Upforanything, basically in the same boat as yourself, my son (drummer) hoping to get into BIMM next month. (passed his audition etc earlier in the year). Just started looking about accommodation, thanks to Gazza we now have a better idea where to look, or more especially where NOT to look! So, a house, sharing with other Bimmers seems to be the way to go, unfortunately he doesn't know anyone going there so... if you're daughter could bear living with a noisy drummer, perhaps they could look for somewhere together? Or any other students looking to share?

Anne

shuffle65 wrote: »
    Hi Upforanything, basically in the same boat as yourself, my son (drummer) hoping to get into BIMM next month. (passed his audition etc earlier in the year). Just started looking about accommodation, thanks to Gazza we now have a better idea where to look, or more especially where NOT to look! So, a house, sharing with other Bimmers seems to be the way to go, unfortunately he doesn't know anyone going there so... if you're daughter could bear living with a noisy drummer, perhaps they could look for somewhere together? Or any other students looking to share?

Anne

I'll pm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Hey everyone, sorry to thread-jack, but I was thinking it'd be awfully handy if we could direct every accommodation query to one thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997349

There's so many BIMM threads already, & it's only going to get worse once the CAO offers roll around!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Hey everyone, sorry to thread-jack, but I was thinking it'd be awfully handy if we could direct every accommodation query to one thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056997349

There's so many BIMM threads already, & it's only going to get worse once the CAO offers roll around!

No, there isn't 'so many BIMM threads already' and that isn't a valid link...

• Advertisement

shuffle65 wrote: »
    No, there isn't 'so many BIMM threads already' and that isn't a valid link...

It's not a valid link because all accommodation threads have been merged into the main DIT accommodation thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DeDingDo

Has anyone who applied for the one year diploma heard back yet? I thought they would have sent a letter back by the day of the offers at the very latest.

DeDingDo wrote: »
    Has anyone who applied for the one year diploma heard back yet? I thought they would have sent a letter back by the day of the offers at the very latest.

I did it last year, & I got the acceptance letter on the 24th of August.

Don't worry, they'll let you know!

I did it last year, & I got the acceptance letter on the 24th of August.

Don't worry, they'll let you know!

Thanks. Did you enjoy it and was it worth it? It seems like quite a lot of money for 4 hours a week.

Thanks. Did you enjoy it and was it worth it? It seems like quite a lot of money for 4 hours a week.

It is a lot of money.

But for me, it was absolutely worth it!

I've changed so much as a musicians & player, for the better.

What stream are you hoping for? Do you aim to go onto the 4 year course?

It is a lot of money.

But for me, it was absolutely worth it!

I've changed so much as a musicians & player, for the better.

What stream are you hoping for? Do you aim to go onto the 4 year course?

What do you do in those hours every week?

Drums is the stream I auditioned in. I haven't thought about going into the degree course in all honesty. I'd have to have another think about it further into the year.

What do you do in those hours every week?

Drums is the stream I auditioned in. I haven't thought about going into the degree course in all honesty. I'd have to have another think about it further into the year.

It's different for each stream, but you do three modules from the BA course;
    Styles, Theory, & Techniques

Styles will be the same, studying different styles & why it sounds like that etc.
    Theory's pretty obvious.
    Techniques ties in with styles, & is the practical part.

Just make sure you put in the work, it's not much at all but it will guarantee you get in if you do decide to progress

Wilhelm, could I ask you a couple of questions about the Diploma course, please?

1. Does it guarantee you acceptance to the BA course the following year if you do well in it?

2. Is it possible to fast track from the Diploma course to the second year of the degree course?

3. It is just the four hours per week in college or are there additional time requirements eg. attending gigs, recording days etc?

Thanks. :)

Wilhelm, could I ask you a couple of questions about the Diploma course, please?

1. Does it guarantee you acceptance to the BA course the following year if you do well in it?

2. Is it possible to fast track from the Diploma course to the second year of the degree course?

3. It is just the four hours per week in college or are there additional time requirements eg. attending gigs, recording days etc?

Thanks. :)

Hey up for anything, I'm happy to help!

1. It doesn't guarantee progression, you still have to do reasonably well.

I got 71% for the whole year, & I was accepted.
    A friend of mine failed one module, but he had his repeats today & if he passes he has a place.

2. If you do well, there's a chance. I was offered to come to an interview for advanced entry into 2nd year.
    I declined, because for me I feel I'd miss out on too much.

3. It's just the hours, for the most part.
    I was in from 12-6 on a thursday, with a break from 1.30 - 3
    CPD students can partake in the end of term gig. I couldn't really attend gigs, I lived too far away & commuted every week.

You don't really have any contact in class with other streams, which isn't ideal, but at the same time that's not what the course is about.

If I can help with anything else, let me know! :)

Thanks for answering those for me. If I think of anything else I will shout. :D

Actually, I have another one already.

Did you have to pay the fees in one go or is there an installment option?

• Advertisement

I paid in one go, but it's best ask them.

They're very helpful, I'm sure they'll help sort something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I was given a place today on the diploma course. Does anyone have any idea what grants or assistance you're eligible for in paying for this, if any? I wouldn't be able to afford the full whack in such a short time.

I was given a place today on the diploma course. Does anyone have any idea what grants or assistance you're eligible for in paying for this, if any? I wouldn't be able to afford the full whack in such a short time.

My daughter got offered a place today too. As far as I know there is no grant or assistance towards paying for this. Heading into FAS tomorrow morning to see whether they have anything in the kitty to help. She found it difficult to read the email on her phone but said that they were looking for 300 upfront and the rest on beginning.

My daughter got offered a place today too. As far as I know there is no grant or assistance towards paying for this. Heading into FAS tomorrow morning to see whether they have anything in the kitty to help. She found it difficult to read the email on her phone but said that they were looking for 300 upfront and the rest on beginning.

Yes, they're looking for €300 by next week and €1395 by mid-September. Something me or my family seriously can't manage at the moment. Don't know what I'm going to do. :(

It won't be easy for us either. If I find any official source willing to kick in towards it I'll let you know.

What I did find out is that if you're a school leaver and can't find work there is a chance that you could sign on for Jobseekers Allowance on the strength of the course. You'd have to put in an application and it would be specially judged. Not much but better than nothing. It would give you money for travelling expenses if you don't live in Dublin but I don't think the SW fund courses anymore. It would be worth heading into your local office and FAS in the morning and making some enquiries. Also ring your local council offices and see whether they can do anything or know of anything.

It won't be easy for us either. If I find any official source willing to kick in towards it I'll let you know.

What I did find out is that if you're a school leaver and can't find work there is a chance that you could sign on for Jobseekers Allowance on the strength of the course. You'd have to put in an application and it would be specially judged. Not much but better than nothing. It would give you money for travelling expenses if you don't live in Dublin but I don't think the SW fund courses anymore. It would be worth heading into your local office and FAS in the morning and making some enquiries. Also ring your local council offices and see whether they can do anything or know of anything.

I'm 22 and already on Jobseeker's Allowance so the fact that I could keep it while I did the course would be handy alright, it's just getting the full whack of the payments out of the way that's the hard part. I'm going to head into the Social Welfare office tomorrow and see if they can point me in the right direction as regards the likes of FAS.

Thanks for your help and offering to let me know if you find out anything, it's much appreciated.

Think a student loan will be the route I'll be taking.

Think a student loan will be the route I'll be taking.

I was thinking about her applying for a student loan but will they give them for a part-time course? Have you asked about it yet?

I went to my local bank, Permanent TSB, not even an hour ago and inquired about student loan only to be told they don't actually do any of them. The woman at the desk started telling me about an 'education loan' they do and that an income would be required to be applicable for it. She told me to have a look at more details online and gave me a pamphlet, only for me to find out the URL they mention in the bloody thing doesn't exist and Google doesn't bring up anything about this 'education loan' either, what a shambles. I don't think I'm going to have the time before the deadline is up to switch banks and actually acquire a student loan from elsewhere.

Add on top of that the fact that I won't have the actual money to cover the deposit until Tuesday morning, it's due in on Wednesday and the only way you can pay for it is by bank draft or cheque, which means it wouldn't get to them in time. Why they don't take a credit card is beyond me.

Looks like I have to piss away another year until I have more money and will have to apply to them again next year. Brilliant.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about her applying for a student loan but will they give them for a part-time course? Have you asked about it yet?

I was going to try the Credit Union. Bank loans have higher interest rates. I can't imagine it would matter its part time. The loans are any purpose i think.

Advertisement