Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought in ireland

Options
  • 28-04-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Did it ever happen could it ever happen
    what was the longest spell in ireland without any rain
    I think a small drought would suit my farm now maybe 3 months.
    While parts of spain can boast over 300 days of sun per year co kerry gets over 300 days with rain :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I just found out
    The longest drought in Ireland occurred in Limerick between 3 April 1938 and 10 May 1938 (37 days).
    I would settle for that i suppose in may or june

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

djmc wrote: »
    While parts of spain can boast over 300 days of sun per year co kerry gets over 300 days with rain :mad:

Do you really want to swap with Spain? I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I'd swap for march to may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Worth reading up on the dry period in the mid 1970's. Link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fits wrote: »
    Do you really want to swap with Spain? I wouldn't.

I would:)

have often spent 4 to 5 weeks at a time over there and dont even see a cloud in that time never mind rain, dont miss the rain one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

An official drought is 15 days of no rainfall (less than 0.2mm to be exact)

I have recorded two such droughts already in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I like the rain. Particularly heavy showers, thunderous even better. Love watching cloud formations, CBs rolling by. Evening sunset through the clouds. Also love flying above clouds. Clouds and rain only really became a big problem for Ireland when people wanted to tan themselves to match their mahogany kitchen.

love the rain and clouds people.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I remember August 2007 to mid/end October 2007... and having to run alkathene piping into a neighbours field to help with thirsty cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I also remember during a very hot summer (one of many that we used to have back then:rolleyes:) in the early 1980s and there was a serious lack of rain for near on a month with lots of dry sunny weather.

Memory fails me these days but I'm thinking around 1980 or 1984 or so.

Timmyboy wrote: »
    I also remember during a very hot summer (one of many that we used to have back then:rolleyes:) in the early 1980s and there was a serious lack of rain for near on a month with lots of dry sunny weather.

Probably 1983?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Timmyboy wrote: »

Both 1983 and 1984 were pretty hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Weren't there two back to back summers in the early to mid 1970's that were extremely dry and hot... Near heat wave stuff.. I'd guess '74 & '75 from memory.. I specifically remember our farm being burned of near all grass, every drain and stream was dry..

I think there's an article online somewhere about it (that really narrows it down )...

jprboy wrote: »
    Both 1983 and 1984 were pretty hot
    Here's the Avonmore, Co. Wicklow flow data for 1983 and 1984. 1984 certainly looks like it was more prolonged and intense. I think the lowest river flows occurred in 1983, but that's only one aspect of a drought.

Avonmore1983-84_zps22dfef52.jpg

And here's a comparison to 1975 and 1976.

Avonmore1975-76_zpsd51072c6.jpg

And a comparison of the drought flows during the summer of the 4 different years.

AvonmoreDroughts_zps2b0e0a70.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

bbam wrote: »
    Weren't there two back to back summers in the early to mid 1970's that were extremely dry and hot... Near heat wave stuff.. I'd guess '74 & '75 from memory.. I specifically remember our farm being burned of near all grass, every drain and stream was dry..

I think there's an article online somewhere about it (that really narrows it down )...

Here's the article..
    We could do with a repeat anytime soon..

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Oct1974_Dry.PDF

Advertisement