Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 1

Options
  • 28-04-2013 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Folks,

I'm gonna give it up today for good. I like to have the occasional bottle of wine during the week and I always have a few at the weekend. I'm sick and tired of it.

It's a habit I got into in my twenties. I have a high tolerance for alcohol, I can function perfectly the next day. Especially if I drink wine. I wish I didn't have this tolerance. Then maybe I wouldn't do it?

I work hard and play hard. I have a good job but I can only imagine how much better I could be without the gargle.

I do a lot of presentations in work and my confidence has gone to feck when presenting to the big wigs. Something that I never had before.

I saw an interview with James Hetfield from Metallica, and he said that he never realised before, but your mind is fuzzy from all the years of drinking and you don't realise this until you abstain from alcohol.

I was thinking of taking up astronomy to the weekend nights, I suffer from insomnia, and always have done. This was always fixed with drink, but it's false sleep and you're not refreshed the next day.

I had a dream that I gave it up. I think this was my body telling me to snap out of it or face the consequences of liver disease before I'm 40.

I don't crave drink, it's a habit I formed over the last 20 years that I need to get rid of, it's also a mindset that I need to change, instead of thinking about drink on the way home from work, sure I'll just get 3 cans what's the harm?:rolleyes:

I'll keep updating this thread, wish me luck.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good luck Chop Chop, stay determined :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Best of luck Chop Chop, you can do it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Be kind and patient with yourself chop chop, and in my opinion to stop drinking and drugging we have to get away from people places and things that make us want to use alcohol. Counselors call this “getting into an adequately controlled environment.” If you keep hanging out with people who are drinking your chances of staying abstinence are nearly zero. To break the cycle of destructive alcohol use you need help & support. You need to put yourself around people, places, and things that will encourage and support your abstinence and help you to learn a set of specific skills to keep yourself from drinking even if you feel like it at that moment.But it can be done as proof by the increasing amount of people who are posting here :-) (to give one example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

realies wrote: »
    Be kind and patient with yourself chop chop, and in my opinion to stop drinking and drugging we have to get away from people places and things that make us want to use alcohol. Counselors call this “getting into an adequately controlled environment.” If you keep hanging out with people who are drinking your chances of staying abstinence are nearly zero. To break the cycle of destructive alcohol use you need help & support. You need to put yourself around people, places, and things that will encourage and support your abstinence and help you to learn a set of specific skills to keep yourself from drinking even if you feel like it at that moment.But it can be done as proof by the increasing amount of people who are posting here :-) (to give one example)
    That is great advice Realies :) Seems chop chop has closed his account though, which is a shame. Best wishes and good luck to him on his journey.

Advertisement