Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed poetry, what's everyone studying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Plath, Bishop, Rich, Mahon and Shakespeare :)

I'd be quite happy with any one of the 3 woman. I love all their poetry and did (if I must say) a pretty darn amazing essay on Rich in last year's exam (repeating though hollaaaaaaaa. I got a B2 though so I'd like to maintain that)

Mahon... Meh. I'm preparing him anyway, even though I don't really like his poetry. Shakespeare I quite like, but I'd still just prefer one of the female poets to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'm planning on covering all of my 5 fairly well: Bishop, Plath, Hopkins, Shakespeare, Mahon, probably in that order. There's just something about Mahon that I hate :L Bishop on the other hand........<3.

I want Plath and one of the others to come up. If Plath does come up, if I can, I plan on not answering on her because the majority of people will, so my theory is that I have more of a chance if I answer on the other poet. All question dependent however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I want Plath and one of the others to come up. If Plath does come up, if I can, I plan on not answering on her because the majority of people will, so my theory is that I have more of a chance if I answer on the other poet. All question dependent however.

Same here, if Plath makes appearance and I have someone else prepared, bye bye Plath. Probably my favourite poet (or Shakespeare), CAN'T WRITE A GOOD ESSAY ON HER TO SAVE MY LIFE!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

I just want Mahon...although I'm terrified that he'll come up in one of those bull**** "Write a letter to the department of education saying why Mahon should be included in the curriculum" etc. yanno where they blend functional writing with Poetry? - despise

I just want Mahon...although I'm terrified that he'll come up in one of those bull**** "Write a letter to the department of education saying why Mahon should be included in the curriculum" etc. yanno where they blend functional writing with Poetry? - despise

That I would LOVE! Marks for structure, and not your analysis and "personal" interpretations of someone's poetry which has to be the same as all the critics.....................YES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

HugsiePie wrote: »
    That I would LOVE! Marks for structure, and not your analysis and "personal" interpretations of someone's poetry which has to be the same as all the critics.....................YES!

No, no, NO! Then you can't write about technique and all that good stuff - I'd like a good analysis one of Mahon or Wordworth...maybe Shakey

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I have to say, I love Ged Hopkins, if he comes up I'll cry for joy <3 Then I'm doing Plath, Wordsworth, Shakespeare and Mahon. We studied Bishop too, but I just don't really like her stuff.

No, no, NO! Then you can't write about technique and all that good stuff - I'd like a good analysis one of Mahon or Wordworth...maybe Shakey

Awww yes, technique, ive often awwwed over poets' techniques,as in awwwwwww what has this got to do with anything :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'm doing Hopkins, Mahon, Shakespeare, Plath and Kinsella.

If Hopkins comes up I'll be sorted for English :D He has pretty much got me through 5th Year and 6th Year English :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Shakespeare, Hopkins, Bishop, Mahon and Plath. In order of preference too. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Relying on Shakespeare and Plath, if either of them comes up I'll be answering on them, with Shakespeare as my preference if both do. I know three others (Mahon, Bishop, Rich) fairly well and intend on getting to know them a bit better in the next few weeks but while I'd feel OK about a Mahon question, I just really despise Bishop and I just have no expectation that Rich will appear.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Benntley_

hoping for Mahon but i'd settle for bishop or Plath or even Shakespeare, Kinsellas the only other one i don't but i can't see him coming up.. Whatever happens I'l cram the day before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

I'm studying Plath, Hopkinsand Wordsworth; and passable Shakespeare and Mahon. If one of them does not come up, I will genuinely get up and walk out of the exam hall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

If you learn five one will definetely come up.

Mahon-->Plath
    >Bishop
    >Shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

I'm doing all the females (Plath, Rich, Bishop) and Kinsella and Shakespeare. I heard the English course in particular are trying to make the papers extremely hard to predict, that being said I personally have a feeling that Plath WILL come up but it will be a really awful question that the majority of students will do but only the students that are amazing at English and know Plath EXTREMELY well will answer it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

SmidgeBall wrote: »
    I'm doing all the females (Plath, Rich, Bishop) and Kinsella and Shakespeare. I heard the English course in particular are trying to make the papers extremely hard to predict, that being said I personally have a feeling that Plath WILL come up but it will be a really awful question that the majority of students will do but only the students that are amazing at English and know Plath EXTREMELY well will answer it well.

Yeah I feel Plath could be a public speaking on plaths work for some reason. Something similar to the
    Elizabeth bishop question that was asked a few years ago about a speaking of her work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Yeah I feel Plath could be a public speaking on plaths work for some reason. Something similar to the
    Elizabeth bishop question that was asked a few years ago about a speaking of her work.

I would actually be so happy if that question came up on Plath! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Given that Plath didn't come up last year, as most people were expecting for some strange reason, I would think that if Plath does come up this year, it'll be a horribly worded question.

Also, it's also a good idea to study the least favourite poets to come up. I mean, an examiner has already corrected and marked the guts of 30 Plath essays, something fresh and different is always a good idea. Just something to think about. :)

Andd please, no one study just the female poets. Just because at least one female has come up on the paper every year, it certainly doesn't mean at least one is guaranteed to come up this year. The SEC are creating the papers so that they're more and more unpredictable each year. This year could be the one different year when they decide to have only male poets. Cover at least five, at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Who are YOU studying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

I am doing hopkins and bishop only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

wow. that is risky! learn from last year and prepare yourself , don't just do 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

In order of preference:

1. Mahon
    2. Plath
    3. Bishop

4. Hopkins

5. Shakespeare (last resort :Pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Order of prefence:
    mahon
    Bishop
    Plath
    rich kinsella

i don't think rich or kinsella will appear but i couldnt bring myself to study hopkins, shakespeare or wordsworth :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Mahon, Plath, Bishop, Rich and Wordsworth.

I'd love either Mahon or Plath to come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

In order of preference:
    Kinsella
    Bishop
    Plath
    Rich
    Mahon

I don't know why but Mahon doesn't really do if for me at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Plath, Shakey, Mahon, Lizzie Bish and, if all else fails, Kinsella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Going for an A1.
    In order - 6 poems each, I've also written the poems and a line that tries to some up the theme of the poetry. I'll be writing about 4-4.5 pages on poetry

Mahon - Similar to Plath, dark view of humanity bar Antartica which is a qualifier. He also uses personalities from history in his poetry.

Plath - How her poetry reflects her dark view of humanity and her depression.

Shakespeare - Can't remember the numbers off hand, but the themes I will try to cover are Shakespeare's obsession with time and an examination of the value of the relationship between the young man/lover/friend.

Wordsworth - His romanticism and how it effected his work.

Hopkins - I'll try to focus on his relationship with God and how it influenced his poetry.

Could someone give me some of the features of romantic poetry and key themes with Wordsworth?
    Same with the rest of the poets, any other themes I should note?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mahon for me, know it inside out

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

Luize wrote: »
    You'd be sorted with just Plath, Bishop and Rich though as one of them will definitely come up!

Rich came up last year, I'm leaving her out and doing Plath & Bishop only. Bit risky but Plath will be on it this year, I can feel it on my bones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

Good luck..:eek:

Advertisement