Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed poetry, what's everyone studying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

-Snip-

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

David1994 wrote: »
    Yeah I have a feeling Shakespeare might come up because there have been talks about it.
    Our class didn't do him anyways but it seems he is very popular in other schools :P

Really? I hope he does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kenic

I'm learning 3 really well and then just quickly running thought the last 2 the night before or something.
    So Shakespeare and Plath ill know and then I can't decide between rich and Mahon! I don't know which of them is more likely to come up.
    Kinsella will definitely be my last resort!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

kenic wrote: »
    I'm learning 3 really well and then just quickly running thought the last 2 the night before or something.
    So Shakespeare and Plath ill know and then I can't decide between rich and Mahon! I don't know which of them is more likely to come up.
    Kinsella will definitely be my last resort!

Mahon! :)

(Don't blame me if Rich comes up instead though) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Mahon! :)

(Don't blame me if Rich comes up instead though) :P

Mahon. Rich was on last year and possibly the year before. Mahon was widely predicted last year but made no appearance, so this year he is even more likely.

This is my order of preference:

Shakespeare
    Mahon
    Plath
    Hopkins(haven't looked over yet)
    Wordsworth(haven't looked over yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

C'mon Bishop, Mahon and Plath!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

So if I do Mahon Plath and Wordsworth with a bit of Bishop ill be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

The predicted poets last year did not even appear, I only had one option to answer to and this is why I didn't get the grade I wanted..
    The best thing to do is learn 3-4 very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

JOS2013 wrote: »
    So if I do Mahon Plath and Wordsworth with a bit of Bishop ill be ok?

You might be, I know a girl who ended up writing on her 5th choice last year.
    In another class they studied 3 poets. None came up. So is it really worth your while leaving your result to chance? Just pick up an extra poet, just to be safe.

I reckon this year the SEC are going to try and **** people over in the comparative, lots are only doing CC or Them/issue as Lit gen was on last year. Watch out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

matTNT wrote: »
    You might be, I know a girl who ended up writing on her 5th choice last year.
    In another class they studied 3 poets. None came up. So is it really worth your while leaving your result to chance? Just pick up an extra poet, just to be safe.

I reckon this year the SEC are going to try and **** people over in the comparative, lots are only doing CC or Them/issue as Lit gen was on last year. Watch out!

I am really confident theme and issue and lit gen. will come up with the latter pretty vague and the former somehow related to key scenes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Okay I've freaked myself out, I was on examinations looking at marking schemes for plath in 2003.
    My exam paper questions are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to the ones that were on the actual paper

ACTUAL PAPER "If you were asked to give a public reading of a small selection of Sylvia Plath’s poems, which ones would you choose to read?"

EDUCATE.IE PAPERS : "Plath is a poet of extremes whose subject matter and style range from delicate to violent"

What game is this past paper company trying to play? I'm wondering are yeres the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Okay I've freaked myself out, I was on examinations looking at marking schemes for plath in 2003.
    My exam paper questions are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to the ones that were on the actual paper for example "If you were asked to give a public reading of a small selection of Sylvia Plath’s poems, which ones would you choose to read?"

Which on the past papers is as "Plath is a poet of extremes whose subject matter and style range from delicate to violent"
    What game is this past paper company trying to play? I'm wondering are yeres the same?
    My exam papers have the first question you mentioned the public reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Jade. wrote: »
    My exam papers have the first question you mentioned the public reading?

You have the right exam papers with the real questions that were asked :)
    Mine are Educate.ie exam papers all the questions are different to the real exam papers even the macbeth ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    You have the right exam papers with the real questions that were asked :)
    Mine are Educate.ie exam papers all the questions are different to the real exam papers even the macbeth ones.

Oh mine are edco! But strange though that you had different questions I would have assuming all the companies would print what was actually on the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fennjenn

Doesn't an Irish poet always come up? There has been one since the LC started. I don't see why they'd change it now and if they did there would be uproar. Mahon, Kinsella and possibly Hopkins b/c he spent some time in Ireland. It's very tough to know what will come up, it's impossible to predict! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

The amount of time I've spent looking at this thread and the predictions for the poets .. I could probably have covered two poets by now!

I don't see the point of learning 5 poets in great detail as it is only 50 marks so hopefully ill learn two really well and have a good idea of three others! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lkillyl

In order of preference
    Shakespeare
    Plath
    Bishop
    Wordsworth
    Hopkins (I'd still cry if I had to do him though)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

In order of preference

1. Mahon
    2. Bishop
    3. Hopkins
    4. Wordsworth
    5. Plath

I'm kinda ****ed outside my top 3 really

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Hey :) What poets are ye all studying this year ?? I don't like Shakespeare and Hopkins and we didn't do Wordsworth .. I really don't like them at all although they're tipped to coming up, I might run over them.. But I'm focusing on Plath,Mahon,Rich,Bishop and Kinsella... Is that silly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Just noticed another thread for this sorry guys :) and I don't know how to delete it haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Is 4 poems enough for a poetry answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Is 4 poems enough for a poetry answer?

Yeah man, some people do 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yeah man, some people do 3

Thanks, my teacher always said at least 5 but even with 4 I have way too much. I'll go with 4 anyway and hope for the best. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks, my teacher always said at least 5 but even with 4 I have way too much. I'll go with 4 anyway and hope for the best. Thanks!

I normally try and make reference to 5 poems but usually only have time to write on 4. So I just stick 2-3 lines about the 5th poem near the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

I've got a bit of a problem. All of my class is covering Plath for poetry if she comes up. Problem is we all have VERYsimilar essays. My question is if she comes up and another one of the poets I've learned come up, who should I do. Admittedly my essays for other ports are weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

Aksa94 wrote: »
    I've got a bit of a problem. All of my class is covering Plath for poetry if she comes up. Problem is we all have VERYsimilar essays. My question is if she comes up and another one of the poets I've learned come up, who should I do. Admittedly my essays for other ports are weaker.

I think they have to mark each essay as an individual essay. They're not allowed to dock marks for yours being similar to another person in your class. If they do, get it rechecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Anyone have a sample essay on plath or rich? I have an essay on bishop that i could send :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

looking at exam papers, rich comes up every second year. Still hard to predict that though because they could be mean and put her up this year instead. So Many Poets and poems !! Trying to predict this will kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

Is discussing 6 poems but in less detail alright too? And much per cent in total is prescribed poetry worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Is discussing 6 poems but in less detail alright too? And much per cent in total is prescribed poetry worth?

Prescribed poetry is worth 12.5%. I'd discuss 4 in great detail, 1 in normal detail, and then only a few lines on the last one, or even just a reference. Then the examiner knows that you have a great knowledge and understanding of the poetry because of the first four, and then skims through the rest for just the reference to two other poems. :)

Advertisement