Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed poetry, what's everyone studying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭PhosphoricAcid

So what per cent is Macbeth and the Comparative worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

So what per cent is Macbeth and the Comparative worth?

Sorry about the delayed response, just saw this now. Macbeth is 15%, Comparative is 17.5%. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Does anyone have an essay on Hopkins or Wordsworth. They're the bane of my life, but I need to prepare them as back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

matTNT wrote: »
    Does anyone have an essay on Hopkins or Wordsworth. They're the bane of my life, but I need to prepare them as back up.

I have one on Hopkins that I can PM?

ray2012 wrote: »
    I have one on Hopkins that I can PM?

I'll send you my email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Does anyone have a sample Shakespeare? I'm struggling finding one and I cant seem to pull one together. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

My poetry for Plath is Mirror, arrival of the bee box (anchor poem), Child, Morning song, and Black rook. Where should I position my anchor poem? I was thinking because of the fact that the last line in Beebox is "but the box is only temporary", it should be my last poem, but it's my anchor poem.
    Also, For "Mirror", I can't find much to write about; Unforgiving first line. How plath perceives herself. Question of human beauty. Inner dept (lake metaphor), fear of age and losing control.... Is that all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Anyone who has an essay for Shakespeare that they could send to me pleeeassee I'm desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

How many poems do you need minimum 4 or 5?
    I have four done on each of the poets im studying is that enough or will i do an extra one?

My poetry for Plath is Mirror, arrival of the bee box (anchor poem), Child, Morning song, and Black rook. Where should I position my anchor poem? I was thinking because of the fact that the last line in Beebox is "but the box is only temporary", it should be my last poem, but it's my anchor poem.
    Also, For "Mirror", I can't find much to write about; Unforgiving first line. How plath perceives herself. Question of human beauty. Inner dept (lake metaphor), fear of age and losing control.... Is that all?

I always make the point of how the theme has become more relatable and universal than in Plath's day because there is an increased pressure on men to now look good in the eye's of the media.

• Advertisement

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    How many poems do you need minimum 4 or 5?
    I have four done on each of the poets im studying is that enough or will i do an extra one?

This is a question best left to yourself as there are many debates sparked over it. The curriculum officially says 6 need to be known and so some markers look for 6 poems in each answer.

I always make the point of how the theme has become more relatable and universal than in Plath's day because there is an increased pressure on men to now look good in the eye's of the media.

Interesting....
    For studying the poetry, I have little flash cards. One on general comments others made about the poet and the rest with Key quotes, points and themes. I really wanted to learn off my essay but at this stage..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

007driver wrote: »
    looking at exam papers, rich comes up every second year. Still hard to predict that though because they could be mean and put her up this year instead. So Many Poets and poems !! Trying to predict this will kill me.

she only came up every second year because of the leak of paper 2 in 2010, to my knowledge bishop was on in 2010 the first paper. Then they changed to rich on the 2nd paper that was sat.
    This is a question best left to yourself as there are many debates sparked over it. The curriculum officially says 6 need to be known and so some markers look for 6 poems in each answer.

6! :O Holy mother of god. best get cracking at it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leavingcert_13

Theres always an irish poet on the paper so it has to be Mahon.

Seriously? We only did 5 for most!! Maybe I will learn off a line to compare it to another poem we haven't done!

Yeah......
    *smiles and nods*

Interesting....
    For studying the poetry, I have little flash cards. One on general comments others made about the poet and the rest with Key quotes, points and themes. I really wanted to learn off my essay but at this stage..... :rolleyes:
    I'm just hoping for Plath and I think I will write on her no matter what because I genuinely engaged with her poetry whereas others just think she's "easy" to write about. I don't use flash cards though, I'm a fan of lists :)

Kinsella could come up again... :rolleyes:
    Tommyrawr wrote: »
    she only came up every second year because of the leak of paper 2 in 2010, to my knowledge bishop was on in 2010 the first paper. Then they changed to rich on the 2nd paper that was sat.

6! :O Holy mother of god. best get cracking at it so.
    Well I have notes on 6 poems per poet made out for myself (haven't started to learn them, I best get cracking also) and I include the 6 poems (names) in my introduction but I often run out of time to discuss them all fully but at least the examiner knew I was going to.
    Seriously? We only did 5 for most!! Maybe I will learn off a line to compare it to another poem we haven't done!

This is just what I've seen written and my teacher has done more than 6 in some occasions to give us a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Yeah my teacher always told us to do 6 we were never allowed to write about any less.

I'm just hoping for Plath and I think I will write on her no matter what because I genuinely engaged with her poetry whereas others just think she's "easy" to write about. I don't use flash cards though, I'm a fan of lists :)

Kinsella could come up again... :rolleyes:

Well I have notes on 6 poems per poet made out for myself (haven't started to learn them, I best get cracking also) and I include the 6 poems (names) in my introduction but I often run out of time to discuss them all fully but at least the examiner knew I was going to.

This is just what I've seen written and my teacher has done more than 6 in some occasions to give us a choice.

You know when you said that you include them all in the opening paragraph? How? I usually just give a striking quote such as "I am myself. That is not enough". Discuss in relation to the title and then move onto my first poem? How do you include all the poems in the intro? how? But wouldn't it also look a little messy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

There is no way I would use 6 poems. For some poets we even only studied 5! :P I know it says you should study 6 poems, but does it say you should mention 6 poems in your answer? I usually do 4 and maybe mention a line or two from a fifth one. In my mocks I did that and I got the 50 ;)

• Advertisement

You know when you said that you include them all in the opening paragraph? How? I usually just give a striking quote such as "I am myself. That is not enough". Discuss in relation to the title and then move onto my first poem? How do you include all the poems in the intro? how? But wouldn't it also look a little messy?

I take a very "Comparative Study" approach to my poetry essays. I would discuss the poetry in light of the question, give personal response and then say what poems I will refer to in order to discuss the question. I then give a poem by poem analysis...

I take a very "Comparative Study" approach to my poetry essays. I would discuss the poetry in light of the question, give personal response and then say what poems I will refer to in order to discuss the question. I then give a poem by poem analysis...

Not so bad! :) I'm sure my approach is just as valid though... My teacher thinks so anyhow! :P

As for not answering on Plath, It really doesn't matter I think! I can really show my enthusiasm for her and bishop, but not for mahon so it would make no sense to do Mahon! If the answer is good, the answer is good, simple as! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

It's easier than you'd think to write about a load of poems in an answer, like for example for Bishop I never studied 'In the Waiting Room'. But one day I glanced through my book and saw a line from it, 'You are an I, you are an Elizabeth, you are one of them' and I was like 'jesus, that's a great line' and now I use it all the time and other than those three lines have no idea what the poem's about but it works really well when discussing her theme of childhood and growing awareness and only takes up about three lines of my answer. :L I have stuff like that from other poets too, Plath's great for it actually, so many great stand-alone lines to choose from!

Not so bad! :) I'm sure my approach is just as valid though... My teacher thinks so anyhow! :P

As for not answering on Plath, It really doesn't matter I think! I can really show my enthusiasm for her and bishop, but not for mahon so it would make no sense to do Mahon! If the answer is good, the answer is good, simple as! :)

I have no doubt that it is! My approach is actually one of the less common approaches I've seen around. Most people take the "Make a point, back it up with 2/3 relevant poems" approach but I always get confused :p Exactly! From the 2012 marking scheme "In each of the questions in Prescribed Poetry the underlying nature of the task is the invitation to the candidates to engage with the poems themselves."
    ray2012 wrote: »
    There is no way I would use 6 poems. For some poets we even only studied 5! :P I know it says you should study 6 poems, but does it say you should mention 6 poems in your answer? I usually do 4 and maybe mention a line or two from a fifth one. In my mocks I did that and I got the 50 ;)

Again, from the marking scheme "Normally the study of at least six poems by each poet would be expected.” (DES English Syllabus, 6.3)" it then goes on to say "Note that, in responding to the question set on any given poet, the candidates must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not required to refer to any specific poem/s, nor are they expected to discuss or refer to all the poems they have chosen to study."
    So 4-6 is perfectly acceptable :) I got 47 in the Pre :o

What are the chances of Bishop coming up with Plath? Or on her own?
    If I got Bishop, I'd be in Heaven... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lonepiper

I have 8poems for Plath and bishop,7for Shakespeare and Mahon.
    And 3 for wordsworth :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I remember seeing on this forum last year that someone got 50/50 and wrote about 3 poems. My sister also only ever wrote about 3 or 4 poems and she got 50/50 in the LC for poetry. So I don't think it has to be 6. My teacher always said write about 4 and refer to a 5th but I will probably just do 4, maybe a 5th depending on the poet. I prefer writing about 4 or 5 as you can go deeper into the analysis. I'd find 6 really hard! My essays are long enough already :P

Lonepiper wrote: »
    I have 8poems for Plath and bishop,7for Shakespeare and Mahon.
    And 3 for wordsworth :L

I'll be doing 4-6 poems, there's no way that I would be able to discuss 8 poems in reasonable detail without taking away from some other section of Paper 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Do you guys do poem by poem or theme by theme? Both are fine but I think it's a lot easier to reference more poems in theme by theme, as it's much easier to just briefly mention a poem and let it never be heard of again, and you can get the point across much quicker, I find. Changing to that style cut my answers down loads from like five-ish pages to three!

Also, getting this really weird feeling that I'm going to end up answering on Mahon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Slow Show wrote: »
    Do you guys do poem by poem or theme by theme? Both are fine but I think it's a lot easier to reference more poems in theme by theme, as it's much easier to just briefly mention a poem and let it never be heard of again, and you can get the point across much quicker, I find. Changing to that style cut my answers down loads from like five-ish pages to three!

Also, getting this really weird feeling that I'm going to end up answering on Mahon...

Poem by poem because I wasn't sure how to do it theme by theme. I've heard theme by theme is better although I have gotten As by doing it poem by poem. Too late to change now though :P

Advertisement