Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed poetry, what's everyone studying?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fennjenn wrote: »
    Doesn't an Irish poet always come up? There has been one since the LC started.
    Theres always an irish poet on the paper so it has to be Mahon.
    And they have been ringing the changes the last few years exactly because the papers were getting too predictable and people were cutting down too much.

Nowhere in the curriculum does it say an Irish poet has to come up.

Could no Irish poet be the twist in this year's paper?

I don't know.

Do you? :)

Fennjenn wrote: »
    I don't see why they'd change it now and if they did there would be uproar.)
    There has been tears and uproar the last couple of years about "unpredictable" papers.

Has it made the slightest bit of difference?

Nope.

The curriculum defines what can be on the papers, not the Joe Duffy show and the "it's terridble, Joe, they actually expect the poor kids to learn something!" brigade! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Has Anyone Got any A standard Mahon Essays that I could use? Really stuck for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Has Anyone Got any A standard Mahon Essays that I could use? Really stuck for one!

I have three Mahon essays, one sample, one from my teacher and one that I got an A on. I'll send you one tomorrow morning if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

ynwa14 wrote: »
    I have three Mahon essays, one sample, one from my teacher and one that I got an A on. I'll send you one tomorrow morning if you like.

Could you send me those too? I'm grand writing about poetry but none of Mahon's work resonates with me... just don't know where to starts.

ynwa14 wrote: »

that would be brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

OK something I need to get cleared up in my head before Thursday...if the question asks you to make reference to style, what exactly do you include? Derek Mahon for example, would I be able to say that his use of perspectives and his ability to create distinct atmospheres are part of his style? Or do I have to stick with his use of alliteration, assonance, form etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Slow Show wrote: »
    OK something I need to get cleared up in my head before Thursday...if the question asks you to make reference to style, what exactly do you include? Derek Mahon for example, would I be able to say that his use of perspectives and his ability to create distinct atmospheres are part of his style? Or do I have to stick with his use of alliteration, assonance, form etc.?

What I would say would be that his use of rhyme/imagery/alliteration/assonance creates these distinct and dark atmospheres. The imagery make them vivid in our minds, while the alliteration/assonance/rhyme help to create the unease in his poetry (e.g a "pandemonium of prams, pianos/boilers bursting/and shredded ragtime" -> the alliteration employed here clearly give us an insight into the chaos being witnessed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Just dropping in here :) I'm doing Bishop, Mahon, Hopkins, Shakespeare and Wordsworth, the last two a bit dodge I'm hoping for one of the first three but realistically I won't worry, I probably won't count English regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Just dropping in here :) I'm doing Bishop, Mahon, Hopkins, Shakespeare and Wordsworth, the last two a bit dodge I'm hoping for one of the first three but realistically I won't worry, I probably won't count English regardless!

Same for me except Wordsworth! :P Shakespeare would be my best though, then Hopkins/Mahon.

For the Diary entries, Do we put in a time? As in 4pm or afternoon? How long should they be? How many if it does not specify? And also, I hear cursing makes it very effective! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

any chance you'd pm the essay to me also? really appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

If you could PM me also, I would really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

will i be covered with: plath, bishop, rich, hopkins? i'm really having a hard time with shakespeare and im wodering if u can leave it out? will it be too much of a risk providing that there are talks of him coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

vale95 wrote: »
    will i be covered with: plath, bishop, rich, hopkins? i'm really having a hard time with shakespeare and im wodering if u can leave it out? will it be too much of a risk providing that there are talks of him coming up?

You'll only be safe knowing five. Anything less is a risk.

(Praying for Plath, Bishop or Mahon :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gabz001

Im pretty sure its always guaranteed that one female and one irish poet comes up

so if you try to just isolate it you could study mahon and kinsella and you should be set,,

if you dont like those guys a female poet has to come up as well so study plath bishop and rich

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

It's cram time!
    Macbeth - Banquo, Kingship, Deception, Evil/Supernatural, Imagery
    Comparative - Theme: Coming of age, Cultural Context, Key Moments,
    Poetry - Mahon, Bishop, Plath, Shakespeare, Mahon
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Lads I only know Mahon this is getting ridic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I've got Bishop, Mahon and Rich down to a T, could wing it on Plath and Wordsworth but jesus, I'd get more marks on a Hopkins question if I answered it in Swahili! Just cannot relate to such a pathetic excuse of a man (I'm not a fan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

gabz001 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure its always guaranteed that one female and one irish poet comes up
    It may be a common pattern, but it certainly isn't guaranteed.

Advertisement