Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house insurance claim

Options
  • 28-04-2013 1:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

I recently lost a ring which was named on my insurance policy.can't figure where it is. If I claim for it does my policy renewal price rocket then? Have never claimed for anything before but have changed companies so the new one would not know my clean history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely it will, yes is the short, simple answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Ok but typically ny how much? 5, 10, 20%? For how long and would it be hard to get a replacement ring insured.?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Wouldn't your new insurance company have some details of your claims history (clean in your case) given to them when you applied for the new policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

also one thing to consider some companies may not cover you if you have had a claim in the past few years. not sure if it applies to loss of items claims but I know it does in other cases. So that may mean you're tied into that company even if they jack up your price next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Yeah I know nothing about it all as I have never claimed for anything. Not sure if they would have history and don't know how to find out the procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CaraMay wrote: »
    Yeah I know nothing about it all as I have never claimed for anything. Not sure if they would have history and don't know how to find out the procedures.

If you claim then you're seen as a risk for claiming. As such, your premium will increase for a max of five years. Nobody except an insurer can tell you by how much.
    Insurers use a system called Insurance link in Ireland run by Money Mate to store and gather information on claimants. If you claim from company a and move to b then b can check your claims history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

CaraMay wrote: »
    I recently lost a ring which was named on my insurance policy.can't figure where it is. If I claim for it does my policy renewal price rocket then? Have never claimed for anything before but have changed companies so the new one would not know my clean history.

You will loose your no claims bonus which if you have about 5 plus years of, the. It could be circa 40% of the premium paid. You need to take the value of any claim into account and compare against any premium increase

Advertisement