Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS to Park shopping centre Carrickmines

Options
  • 28-04-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is practical to walk from the Ballyogan LUAS station to the Park shopping centre?
    I have looked on google maps but the images are too old and are just construction sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

liffeylite wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is practical to walk from the Ballyogan LUAS station to the Park shopping centre?
    I have looked on google maps but the images are too old and are just construction sites.

Yeah, fifteen minute walk maximum. Get off the LUAS and go left

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yeah, fifteen minute walk maximum. Get off the LUAS and go left

+1 It's 950m walking distance from Ballyogan Wood to the main roundabout inside Carrickmines SC according to Google Maps.

Note that when you're walking up the hill from the roundabout at the end of Ballyogan Road, there appears to be a pedestrian short cut into the SC, you'd turn right onto a pedestrian path before you get to the entrance where the cars drive in.

For route planning, use Google maps in 'map' instead of 'satellite' mode, the maps are usually more up to date than the satellite images.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

excellent info guys. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

There is no pedestrian shortcut as another poster has suggested - this is a old road and walkway that was used while construction was ongoing but it is now closed with hoarding around it. Its a 10 minute walk (I do it twice a day!) - just make sure you get off at Ballyogan stop not Carrickmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CelticCub wrote: »
    There is no pedestrian shortcut as another poster has suggested - this is a old road and walkway that was used while construction was ongoing but it is now closed with hoarding around it. Its a 10 minute walk (I do it twice a day!) - just make sure you get off at Ballyogan stop not Carrickmines.

Thanks, just shows you can't trust Google Maps all the time, they even have a coffee shop midway along the path which lent weight to the notion that it might be an open public path. I only ever drive up there so wasn't sure if the path was real or not though it doesn't make a huge difference to the distance from the Luas if that path is now closed.

http://goo.gl/maps/ORoGL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Are you not confusing the centres there. The park Shopping centre is in The Park, Cabinteely. Carrickmines is where you get off, walk up the hill and down the other side. WIll take you 10/15 minutes

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/the-park-shopping-cen-14833

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

The park, carrickmines, is the retail park that houses pc world, Harvey Norman etc.
    You are correct in getting off at ballyogan wood, cross the road and follow it around to the right. There is no shortcut, as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

There should be a shortcut made but you will have to take the long way round as of today.
    Get off at Ballyogan Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I can't believe that a relatively new major retail development, on prime land next to the Luas, has such terrible access for non-drivers. If a pedestrian link to the Ballyogan Wood stop was installed, it would significantly reduce journey times for Luas users. I took the tram out once, and was amazed at how hostile the route was for pedestrians. Very noisy and very heavily trafficked.

I understand that there is an intention to open up a drive-thru McDonalds and KFC. I have nothing against that per se, but its obvious that the developers are more concerned about their car-based customers. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown should have stipulated as part of granting planning permission that a pedestrian link to the Luas be built. Its ridiculous that it takes 10-15 minutes to walk it.

Aard wrote: »
    I can't believe that a relatively new major retail development, on prime land next to the Luas, has such terrible access for non-drivers. If a pedestrian link to the Ballyogan Wood stop was installed, it would significantly reduce journey times for Luas users. I took the tram out once, and was amazed at how hostile the route was for pedestrians. Very noisy and very heavily trafficked.

I understand that there is an intention to open up a drive-thru McDonalds and KFC. I have nothing against that per se, but its obvious that the developers are more concerned about their car-based customers. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown should have stipulated as part of granting planning permission that a pedestrian link to the Luas be built. Its ridiculous that it takes 10-15 minutes to walk it.

The third phase of the scheme will see a four lane road with paths and cycleways forming a new junction opposite the Luas stop. Unfortunately DLRCC keep refusing the planning permission despite the plans being in line with the zoning and having previoulsy approved a much larger plan that has subsequently been cut back in line with the economic climate ie no hotel or motor showrooms. NAMA have also publilcally stated that funding is in place. The lastest application is currently with An Board Pleanala.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nama-firm-in-75m-retail-park-deal-26867165.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Very interesting thread here. I see the McDnalds and KFC should be opening very soon (next couple of months) as construction was well advanced in November (source: photo on the Carrickmines retail park facebook page).

No word on the creating a large junction opposite the Ballyogan LUAS though, to allow for quicker access for pedestrians and an alternate entrance for vehiclular traffic. I wonder will it happen at all now. Was approved twice but blocked by then Minister for the Environment on the grounds he wanted to keep the park as a "neighbourhood sized" retail park, not a mammoth liffey valley type place. hmmm... The developers feel differently obviously.

The revised plan includes 7 screen cinema, bowling alleys, games area, community facility, restaurants, and a new access road onto ballyogan road which would be upgraded itself also. Hmm... All quite close to residential areas I thought. It looks like its been refused anyway according to the link below.

The inspectors report can be seen here: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/240869.htm

The link you have posted has been rejected by An Bord Pleanala. All the works associated inc the additional roadway from Ballyogan Avenue will not proceed. The planned Shopping Centre will not be built any time soon. The site is now zoned for 25000sqm of retail space which means it is a district centre, presumably they will resubmit plans bearing in mind the reason it was refused and proceed at some point in the future. Powercity have also been granted PP opposite O'Briens Wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Aard wrote: »

Access for drivers isn't great either. Not enough parking for one (last I was up there they had a whole section cordoned off for no reason I could make out), and the paving used as you enter the place can't be good for the suspension, plus the roundabout you have to loop back on is too close to the entrance turn-off, and the one at the other end (adjoining the M50 slip road) is a pain in the ass when trying to get across it lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Access for drivers isn't great either. Not enough parking for one (last I was up there they had a whole section cordoned off for no reason I could make out), and the paving used as you enter the place can't be good for the suspension, plus the roundabout you have to loop back on is too close to the entrance turn-off, and the one at the other end (adjoining the M50 slip road) is a pain in the ass when trying to get across it lot of the time.

every time i go there, it always amazes me the amount of people going round in circles looking for parking spaces when there is a 700 space car park underneath which is always 90% empty and has direct access (or near enough) to some of the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

every time i go there, it always amazes me the amount of people going round in circles looking for parking spaces when there is a 700 space car park underneath which is always 90% empty and has direct access (or near enough) to some of the shops

Or the absolute morons who do use the underground car park but then park on the pedestrian walkways :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neetamac

So, the last post was January. Has anyone been out there since to see if the pedestrian
    access has improved? I was thinking of going out on the Luas but it seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt to get to the shopping ctr.....

Its a 5 minute walk....hundreds of people who work here do it every morning! Even if the walkway does get built you will still have to walk a across what aere now the fields to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Its a 5 minute walk....hundreds of people who work here do it every morning! Even if the walkway does get built you will still have to walk a across what aere now the fields to get there.

I think now that you're being a tad generous - it's about a 10-15 minute walk, rather than 5 - still easily walkable however, but not pleasant if it's pouring rain.

http://goo.gl/maps/601Ex

lxflyer wrote: »
    I think now that you're being a tad generous - it's about a 10-15 minute walk, rather than 5 - still easily walkable however, but not pleasant if it's pouring rain.

Map has you walking into PC Worlds service yard - for those of us in the offices its 5 mins brisk walk....you can time us in the morning if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It's about 15 min walk to McDonalds say, I work up here. That much talked about shortcut pathway from Luas is still not here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Map has you walking into PC Worlds service yard - for those of us in the offices its 5 mins brisk walk....you can time us in the morning if you like!

Try looking at the satellite version - it's to the front door of one of the shops in the retail park, which was what the question was about, not the offices.

Advertisement