Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The whole of town is packed with queues everywhere. Headed home early myself due to crowding in the pubs. I'd say everyone around the market quarter is above its capacity at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

is the mardi gras on this year ? what weekend was it last year or was it even on a long weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mardi Gras was canned because it turned into the Mardi Brawl thanks to Limerick's finest knackers infesting and ruinning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was there drink allowed on the streets at nighttime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Town was mobbed last night. Haven't seen it that busy in a long time.

Great buzz around Saturday day time in the market and BBQ.Was there stuff on the in parks or by the river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Last night was mental - taxi driver even told me that half the cabs werent on because they had all gone out, luckily I left before clubs finished and got home.

There was one bad stain on the night, that was we were refused entry to Nancy's because the bouncer said they were closed, which is fair enough it was wedged in there, however on passing it again, we saw him letting more people in, so said I would chance it again, and got the second bare-faced lie. I said that he just let people in, his reply was that we were not regulars, and I told him we were, to which he said I've never seen you before (another lie) because earlier in the night he was standing directly across from us (which I told him), then my friend said he had a receipt and he left us in adding not to cause any trouble, ffs I've never ever caused trouble in there or in town for that matter.

Prick with an oversized ego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I think queuing for a pub is crazy. Absolutely crazy. I queued to get into Nancys at Xmas to see a friend who was home from Aus, and when I got in, it was RAMMED. WAY too packed. Why do they do this? Is he that hungry for money in there?

Heard town was mental last night and dangerous overcrowding in some places

Were they bars serving on the street last night?Saw Coors taps outside all the pubs saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mc Love wrote: »
    Last night was mental - taxi driver even told me that half the cabs werent on because they had all gone out, luckily I left before clubs finished and got home.

There was one bad stain on the night, that was we were refused entry to Nancy's because the bouncer said they were closed, which is fair enough it was wedged in there, however on passing it again, we saw him letting more people in, so said I would chance it again, and got the second bare-faced lie. I said that he just let people in, his reply was that we were not regulars, and I told him we were, to which he said I've never seen you before (another lie) because earlier in the night he was standing directly across from us (which I told him), then my friend said he had a receipt and he left us in adding not to cause any trouble, ffs I've never ever caused trouble in there or in town for that matter.

Prick with an oversized ego

I know its where everyone goes, but I am not a fan of nancys at all. It's very cliquish, and the guys in there are so rude. The last few times I've been in there guys have been really rude towards me, and really up themselves.

I was in Flannerys last night. It was heaving!It was great craic though. The great Limerick run is without a doubt my fave day of the year in Limerick

The Flannerys beside Nancys?My friend left said it was very overcrowded
    What were guys saying to you?Point ity out to the bar or security staff im sure Nancys would act on it they run it well

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Great to hear town was packed-we should be trying to replicate this more than once a year.There needs to be more events,better utilisation of King Johns Castle as a venue.I know I've been banging this drum for a while but it would be great to have a conference centre/indoor arena to cater for 8-10,000.We could shows/concerts weekly-would get people into the city.Looking forward to seeing how the pedestrianisation of the quays finishes up-show really improve the area.Would also like to see more concerts in Thomond or the Gaelic Grounds than one Bruce Springsteen-in fairness the boss is someone to be proud of playing there.Hopefully Limerick F.C will continue to grow their support base which is something the city can be proud of also.

They need to spread the fest around the city more,its the Market Quarter and The Locke that seem to make the money.Someone told me the Locke pulled out of the Riverfest that they wouldn't pay the money so the Market Quarter got it

bigpink wrote: »
    The Flannerys beside Nancys?My friend left said it was very overcrowded
    What were guys saying to you?Point ity out to the bar or security staff im sure Nancys would act on it they run it well

Waste of time seeing as the staff are part of the clique..........

The Rivefest should try use the area from the Clarion hotel along by Cholessys and the other side by the up to Treaty stone aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

A few pics of the fireworks on Saturday night.

8711344768_ca590d4684_b.jpg
    Riverfest 2013 by philipmchugh, on Flickr

8710221261_8fd92e6f5a_b.jpg

8710220469_885b2a7779_b.jpg

8710219597_33084504a1_b.jpg

8710219283_3570cf5e09_b.jpg

8710217967_a86c10cafb_b.jpg

I have never understood the fascination with Nancy Blakes. There is nothing remotely special about the place imo. I certainly would not be queuing or begging to get in there anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

bazz26 wrote: »
    I have never understood the fascination with Nancy Blakes. There is nothing remotely special about the place imo. I certainly would not be queuing or begging to get in there anyways.

Absolutely no knackers ever allowed in there....in Limerick thats important. Took a walk in to a newly re-opened bar near the market, the place was packed with knackers, was quick to leave after that.

Doom wrote: »
    Absolutely no knackers ever allowed in there....in Limerick thats important. Took a walk in to a newly re-opened bar near the market, the place was packed with knackers, was quick to leave after that.

There are plenty of other bars in the city that knackers don't get into. I wouldn't be using it as a reason for going to Nancy Blakes.

• Advertisement

Which new bar Library or Orchard?

Gets WAY too packed in Nancys. I also don't see what the fuss is about. Plenty of other pubs in town....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Decent music, huge smoking area, good live acts a few nights a week, no charge on the door. Simple enough really.

They do overpack it tho and then your standing in the outside part even when your not a smoker moving every 2 min let people past.quieter nights fine tho

Decent music, huge smoking area, good live acts a few nights a week, no charge on the door. Simple enough really.

On quieter nights it's ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Doom wrote: »

To be fair even with Limericks bad reputation I have to say that I hardly ever see trouble in the pubs and nightclubs in the city centre. Rarely have I seen people fighting and being kicked out or fights outside when everywhere is closed. I also agree with the posters who find Nancys overrated..maybe it's a bit too old for me but I find it usually full of older men that you would find in the local country pub. In saying that it will be good to have somewhere relatively lively to go when I get to 40's and upwards:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

True, but I can't remember ever being in there and feeling comfortable, it is always too packed! Trying to traverse the smoking area crowd to get access to one of the bars is a mission in itself!

True, but I can't remember ever being in there and feeling comfortable, it is always too packed! Trying to traverse the smoking area crowd to get access to one of the bars is a mission in itself!

This is the major problem which puts me off going in there on weekends. It's grand other than that...

Curragower for the win....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Another Nancy's is great / sucks thread. Get over it.
    People have different preferences of places to go. It's been popular for years so must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have uploaded some pics from the great Limerick run. Congrats to all the runners
    http://pix.ie/flyingsnail/album/465405

Advertisement