Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel changing terms of deal voucher

Options
  • 28-04-2013 3:25pm

I bought a deal voucher recently through one of the daily deal sites for a hotel which included late checkout until 2pm but the hotel refused to honour the late checkout part of the deal. The housekeepers let themselves in around 1pm when we were still in bed and the do not disturb thingy was on the door - grand, that kinda thing happens. We got a call a few minutes later from reception saying we had to leave and that checkout was now 1pm and we were overstaying. I tried to resolve it with them but they weren't into listening and re-iterated that we had to go. I left because I didn't want to make a scene and a subsequent email got a standard 'thanks for staying with us' reply. The deal website says it's nothing to do with them as the contract is with the hotel and the hotel don't reply to any questions about changing the terms of the deal without telling us.

I know the deals are loss-making for the hotels etc. but even so, where do you stand if they just change their mind about the conditions of the deal?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Bootsy wrote: »
    I bought a deal voucher recently through one of the daily deal sites for a hotel which included late checkout until 2pm but the hotel refused to honour the late checkout part of the deal. The housekeepers let themselves in around 1pm when we were still in bed and the do not disturb thingy was on the door - grand, that kinda thing happens. We got a call a few minutes later from reception saying we had to leave and that checkout was now 1pm and we were overstaying. I tried to resolve it with them but they weren't into listening and re-iterated that we had to go. I left because I didn't want to make a scene and a subsequent email got a standard 'thanks for staying with us' reply. The deal website says it's nothing to do with them as the contract is with the hotel and the hotel don't reply to any questions about changing the terms of the deal without telling us.

I know the deals are loss-making for the hotels etc. but even so, where do you stand if they just change their mind about the conditions of the deal?

Leave them a review on tripadviser stating your experience with them, there's not much else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The deal website says it's nothing to do with them as the contract is with the hotel

Nonsense. You paid the deal website, your contract is with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I think it's a good job the cleaners called you at 1pm otherwise you might have been still asleep at 2pm ................. and then they could have charged you for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Nonsense. You paid the deal website, your contract is with them.

The voucher was bought from the deal site who sell the voucher on behalf of the hotel - by redeeming the voucher you then were transferring the onus of completing the deal with the hotel.

Not really for tripadvisor either as its an issue about the terms of a voucher and not about the hotel itself - if checkout was at 1pm would there have been an issue.

Simply don't stay in the hotel again and move on -life is too precious to be worried about a fairly minor issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Yeah would say not much can do either, but I would post a review on trip advisor and comment on the late checkout.

Alot of hotels repeat the same deals so will be word of warning or second thought to anybody else thinking about the deal.

Might also ensure the hotel honors it's commitment next time !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sandin wrote: »
    Not really for tripadvisor either as its an issue about the terms of a voucher and not about the hotel itself - if checkout was at 1pm would there have been an issue.

Sure it is, the hotel set the terms of the voucher.
    Be honest in any review and outline your grievance, if the rest of your stay was great then say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

1pm? About time you were up anyways, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

brinks_18476 If you don't have anything helpful to post, then please don't post.

dudara

Advertisement