Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extinction of species isn't really a problem.

• 28-04-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

We have pictures of them , so it won't matter. What value to elephants have to us? Barely any. Same goes for Tigers and Lions etc. We also have more than enough videos of all these species. I see no reason to keep them around and actually spend money on them.
    Protecting them also requires a lot of space, which goes to waste, which is incredibly harmful.
    We need chicken, cows and pigs and a couple of others. The rest can go extinct and we would be better off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thats quite small thinking.

Every species of animal is part of a chain, if one goes then so does the one above it.

Also, why would we be better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Ohh dear I meant to actually post this in "Unpopular Opinions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

godwin wrote: »
    We have pictures of them , so it won't matter. What value to elephants have to us? Barely any. Same goes for Tigers and Lions etc. We also have more than enough videos of all these species. I see no reason to keep them around and actually spend money on them.
    Protecting them also requires a lot of space, which goes to waste, which is incredibly harmful.
    We need chicken, cows and pigs and a couple of others. The rest can go extinct and we would be better off.

What about trolls, could we live without them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Looks like you godwinned your own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Your right- we should burn tiger cubs for fuel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like when people resort to bullsh*t when they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

It's a delicate balance, food chains come into question. If one species goes extinct then there will be a big increase in the species that the original one ate. This would lead to another species going extinct because the species who's population had the huge increase will need more food, it's just staring a chain reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

You sir, are an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I like when people resort to bullsh*t when they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

It's a delicate balance, food chains come into question. If one species goes extinct then there will be a big increase in the species that the original one ate. This would lead to another species going extinct because the species who's population had the huge increase will need more food, it's just staring a chain reaction.
    Is that not how evolution has always worked though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

So you're volunteering to take over all the functions these animals have in the eco system they inhabit?
    As in, cut back all the vegetation elephants will eat to make sure there will be enough new growing food for other species, including the cows people in Africa herd there at the moment?

Or in the case of predators, kill off all the small and medium sized animals they would kill for food, to avoid overpopulation and consequent destruction of their habitats?

You'd have a hell of a job on your hands there, mate.

Just another thing OP, I bet you wouldn't mind the extinction of bees eh. Going by your logic they're just pesky little things with no purpose. Once we have a few pictures of them around it'll be grand.

Wrong. It's estimated that 1/3 of the food humans eat rely on bees for their production. If bees go extinct it would have a devastating effect on humans.

• Advertisement

It's estimated that 1/3 of the food humans eat rely on bees for their production. If bees go extinct it would have a devastating effect on humans.

There is no honey in a Big Mac , so can't see the problem.

Even the animal at the top of its foodchain has a purpose.. Controlling the number of those below them.

Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Someone should go around to the OP's family home and burn the place to the ground with all his relatives in the house.

OP, make sure to grab a few photos of your loved one's before the inferno though, eh.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No bees no pollination, that'd be devastating for the planet

Post of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Just another thing OP, I bet you wouldn't mind the extinction of bees eh. Going by your logic they're just pesky little things with no purpose. Once we have a few pictures of them around it'll be grand.

Wrong. It's estimated that 1/3 of the food humans eat rely on bees for their production. If bees go extinct it would have a devastating effect on humans.
    There were plants before bees though, so is it not reasonable to assume that something else would fill the void if they became extinct? Maybe plants would give up on pollination altogether and start riding each other even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Humans are a species too and the world would scarcely notice if we were to vanish in the blink of an eye. Besides the obvious need we have for living, sex, travel and all the usual needs and desires, we certainly wouldnt be missed on this planet. The tide would still come in and out, and animals would certainly be better off without us. For all our evolution and intelligence and feats of engineering, wars, religion etc etc, if we were to disappear in the morning, this planet would keep going for millions more years.

Post of the year.
    It will go over peoples heads , they ain't ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Even the animal at the top of its foodchain has a purpose.. Controlling the number of those below them.

Ah that's the beauty of the thing, come winter the gorillas will freeze to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

There were plants before bees though, so is it not reasonable to assume that something else would fill the void if they became extinct?

Well, some plants still don't need bees, they use wind pollination. So grains will probably still be ok.
    Some, however, do need insects to be pollinated and produce the fruit and veg we eat.
    Pulses spring to mind, as do nearly all varieties of fruits and fresh vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

animals in main dont just eat one other species just like most that have predators have more than one predator, it is balance not dominos.

not supporting extinction but a lot of people just dont understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What value to elephants have to us? Barely any.

Ever heard of a place called India? I think the people who live there might literally piss themselves laughing if they ever read that remark :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Thats actually a valid point.

I mean why dont we eat all the animals? They could feed all the starving children and provide furs for the winters.

Ever heard of a place called India? I think the people who live there might literally piss themselves laughing if they ever read that remark :D

That's a big bigoted to assume that Indians all ride around on elephants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Oh dear. OP you are more to be pitied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Strangely effective troll is strangely effective.

Bravo, sir

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Troll be trolling yo.

Its all to do with the ecosystem and how a little change can even have big influence in ****ing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yakult wrote: »
    Troll be trolling yo.

Its all to do with the ecosystem and how a little change can even have big influence in ****ing that up.

Yep. Evgerything's worth conserving. There are even friendly bacteria. Wait..., why am i telling you this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon Bunny

Eventually all Earth species will be extinct when the sun blows up so there's no point caring if species go extinct now, we can only delay the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Eventually all Earth species will be extinct when the sun blows up so there's no point caring if species go extinct now, we can only delay the inevitable.

That is 4.5 billion years away we are just a footnote in history

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

tim3000 wrote: »
    That is 4.5 billion years away we are just a footnote in history

You're a footnote in history.Im a chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Allan Blandford

The only species that really deserves to go extinct is Homo Sapiens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'm sure we could do without you as well..:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

By that logic you should just kill yourself and your loved ones tonight and be done with the inevitable.

Also, the OP should get themselves off to a library and read a few ecology textbooks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

pmcmahon wrote: »
    You're a footnote in history.Im a chapter.

I'd say you're an appendix pointless to both humans and books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Mother Nature started the War for Survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing?! Pah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Oh wow. Either OP is a WUM, or OP needs to study biology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

"It is a sobering thought that animals could do without man, yet man would find it almost impossible to do without animals."

But to hell with it, lets hunt entire species to extinction, or at least sit back and let somebody else do it for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I could sure go for some dodo fillets right about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

But there is cow sh1t in a Big Mac. So where does that leave us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Are you serious?

Oh dear me,it is Wayne Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Don't be ridiculous. We need tigers for their DNA so scientists can breed giant supercats that we can ride into battle when the zombie apocalypse creates another Middle Ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The only species that really deserves to go extinct is Homo Sapiens.

No need for that, Homo Sapiens are people too!

"It is a sobering thought that animals could do without X, yet X would find it almost impossible to do without animals."

It's not that sobering..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

OneArt wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. We need tigers for their DNA so scientists can breed giant supercats that we can ride into battle when the zombie apocalypse creates another Middle Ages.

You mean like yer man He-Man rode?

Advertisement