Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mange in dogs (sarcoptic)

• 28-04-2013 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

anyone here ever had a dog who had sacrcoptic mange, mine is showing the start of symptoms (intense scratching, very small amount of hair loss on back of knees with a small amount of red blotches on stomach and also slightly irritated ears (shes a springer so her ears are reg cleaned)

and myself too. have a good few red itchy spots.... non one else in my family though as she sleeps in my bed... other dog, jack russell is itching a bit too, not as excessivily so though.

Now i took her to the vets about 8 days ago because her right lymph node was/is swollen (same leg where intense itching goes on) and mentioned itching, his main focus was on swollen gland and raised platlet count, and gave her a 2 week course of antibiotics but itching has definetly increased.

so yeah shes due for a review next week so im thinking now that all these symtoms are related and she has the starting of mange.. what you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Did you get this confirmed by a skin scrape for the presence of Sarcoptes scabiei mites?

Aludex is the current treatment of choice for sarcoptic mange, but it takes time to clear (up to 4 weeks) and is contagious to both humans and other animals. although runs its course on humans in a few weeks as we're not the correct host.

If there's no resolution in a month, you could be looking at atopy or allergies either.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

No not yet, Im just saying its a hunch I have due to all the factors/symtoms listed above, she is on antibiotics for the swollen gland until the 5th May, which hasnt really improved, i think the constant itching on that bit is causing swelling.. anyway after work I think ill call into the vets and ask for a skin scrape...

I did mention a allergy the last day but he wasnt convinced and thinks some kind of infection but im almost sure its mange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A skin scrape only takes a couple of minutes - if he has a microscope he can tell you there and then. :)

In the rescue centre I used to work in, when greyhounds came in with sarcoptic mange, Advocate spot-on worked just fine, even in severe cases. :) Two doses, a month apart. :)

Advertisement