Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training after lung infection?

Options
  • 28-04-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Has anyone any advice on returning to training after a borderline case of pneumonia? Laid up for a fortnight now with another week of antibiotics and rest ahead. Hope to ease back into things after May bank holiday. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has bounced back from this sort of set back.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hey Casula

Have had to navigate that comeback more times than I can remember :) Don't rush back into training, the key for me was to not go back training until I wanted to go back. I learnt quickly enough that the fact I didn't want to train meant I wasn't well enough to train again.

If it's borderline pneumonia you must have been fairly sick. Do you HR train? Even if you don't and aren't overly familiar with HR training I'd suggest getting out a HRM and watching your HR as you make a comeback, you should have a fair idea of what easy HR should be - if what is normally your easy pace on the run/bike has your heart thumping then you need to go slower or you need to go back to the couch.

After the antibiotics and the time off it's likely your legs are going to feel absolutely horrendous when you get back at it. One of the first things I always did when I was better was book in for a sports massage to help flush all the gunk out of the body(maybe a placebo but it worked for me)

I've trained through and tried to rush back from bad bouts and just set myself back. After a week or so you'll be fine, its just the initial getting back into training thats hard. Coming back from a chest infection is no different to any other sort of comeback really. Not rushing back is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

This is really something you should check with your doctor. Medical advice is not permitted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement