Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First timer, opening up baby shop

Options
  • 28-04-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there

I'm considering opening an all things baby shop(prams strollers, cots etc) in my area as there is nothing like this

However I'm unsure where to start getting wholesale information

I have done some Internet research and am not getting many results or replies from any of the distributors?

Anyone know more about this type of retail?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Try Envy Agencies in Donegal- they supply some fab ranges.

bridal wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm considering opening an all things baby shop(prams strollers, cots etc) in my area as there is nothing like this

However I'm unsure where to start getting wholesale information

I have done some Internet research and am not getting many results or replies from any of the distributors?

Anyone know more about this type of retail?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get in touch with Clever Clogs in North Dublin as well.

http://www.cleverclogs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Are you just doing hardware or are you doing clothes and gifts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Arjuna4

Are you a manufacture of baby clothes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I would urge you to do plenty of research into the actual demand/sustainability for this kind of shop in your area. Most established markets in Ireland are oversupplied and those that are geographically underserviced are generally not capable of sustaining an operation.
    I was astounded at the cost of baby pram/stroller/transport “systems”, when I bought one for my first grandchild earlier this year. God be with the days when all that was needed was a hand-me-down cot, Silvercross Pram and the a McLaren stroller!! No wonder so many young couples now but second-hand or borrow from family friends... pooling of baby equipment is huge. The second-hand trade is also booming, see Ebay, Done Deal, Adverts.ie , Gumtree etc etc. There are a number of Irish websites trading in used baby gear too like this https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Second-Hand-Buggy-Shop/145850695469549.

In addition it is easy to establish the lowest prices on the market using web searches and these are used to make local retailers match the best on offer. You may well find that there is a much greater market opportunity to have an operation selling used equipment, young people are under such huge financial pressure these days that this kind of operation may be very attractive to them. Talk to your local district nurse, they are really switched on as to what is happening on the ground with new mothers and babies!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

https://www.facebook.com/ItsNearlyNewBabyGear now that's the way to do it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Arjuna4

Thanks to this FB page. I like this page to know more about the baby products and their clothes..

Advertisement