Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which TV would you choose ?

• 28-04-2013 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

I know yee are are probably sick to the back teeth of seeing questions like this, but this particular decision is doing my head in. One minute I'm plasma, the next minute LED and vice versa, I just can't make my mind up.

If the price was roughly around the same, what would be your choice of TV

1. 50 inch Plasma, 1080 P, 600HZ

2. 50 inch LED, 1080 P, 100 HZ

mainly for sport and general television viewing. I have upc HD but only a small percentage of the channels are HD so I would probably spend most of my time watching standard definition channels.

Im looking for the one with the clearest picture quality.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Anyone ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Number 2

dharn wrote: »
    Number 2

But is the LED good for watching sport though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Do you have any more specs for the TV's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

LED. Better picture, brighter picture and uses a fraction of the energy.

LED. Better picture, brighter picture and uses a fraction of the energy.

Thanks, but what about the refresh rate for watching Sport on standrad definition channels

Which TV is better for watching standard definition channels ?

Thanks, but what about the refresh rate for watching Sport on standrad definition channels

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056932072
    Which TV is better for watching standard definition channels ?

Doesn't matter. Both are 1080p and neither of them upscale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Both are good spec TV's, OP. In terms of picture quality, they'd both be of a high standard and I doubt you would tell the difference if you sat and watched them both side by side. I would tend to lean more toward the LED as it is the newer technology and many say that Plasma is on the decline. The energy saving would be far superior on the LED too but it's your money. Maybe find those model TV's in your nearest electronics store and see if they have them on display as that would surly sway you to one over the other.

Passenger wrote: »
    Both are good spec TV's, OP. In terms of picture quality, they'd both be of a high standard and I doubt you would tell the difference if you sat and watched them both side by side. I would tend to lean more toward the LED as it is the newer technology and many say that Plasma is on the decline. The energy saving would be far superior on the LED too but it's your money. Maybe find those model TV's in your nearest electronics store and see if they have them on display as that would surly sway you to one over the other.

Thanks for reply passenger

This decision is seriously wrecking my head ( and herselfs head ) ; )

I decide on plasma , then led, then plasma , then led.

Which TV would have the best picture / less blur ?

Would the LED be really that bad for watching sport ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Would the LED be really that bad for watching sport ?

Seems like a solid vote for LED in this thread, where are you getting this 'bad for watching sport' thing?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Seems like a solid vote for LED in this thread, where are you getting this 'bad for watching sport' thing?

mmmmm, but its hardly definitive, at the end of the day, its only 2/3 people really that have said LED.

Now I know no one has said plasma either......but it's not like 20 people said LED.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396005/240hz-led-tvs-almost-as-good-as-plasma-now

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1367802/plasma-vs-led-for-sports-viewing

mmmmm, but its hardly definitive, at the end of the day, its only 2/3 people really that have said LED.

Now I know no one has said plasma either......but it's not like 20 people said LED.

True, but if you're waiting for 20 different people to reply to this thread, you'll never buy a tv.

Had no hesitation going for LED myself, though didn't give the 'finer points' as much consideration as you seem to be doing. Only way you'll be 100% sure, is to see both properly set up & working in the room you intend to view in.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    True, but if you're waiting for 20 different people to reply to this thread, you'll never buy a tv.

Had no hesitation going for LED myself, though didn't give the 'finer points' as much consideration as you seem to be doing. Only way you'll be 100% sure, is to see both properly set up & working in the room you intend to view in.

How do you find the LED for watching sport ?

Which model did you go for if you dont mind me asking ?

Just an entry-level Samsung UE40EH5000. Haven't noticed anything objectionable while watching, sport or other material. Any attempt to portray moving pictures will be challenged by fast-moving action, as will our eyes, & I'm not so sure I believe some of those who claim to be able to see advantages with one display technology v. another.

One thing I'll say, & it's especially true for sport, once you view in HD, you won't want to go back to standard def., & moreso with the less-than-the-best-possible resolution used on a lot of SD channels, on terrestrial & satellite broadcasts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

I've yet to see an LED picture to better my Pioneer Plasma, so I would be biased in that direction. That said, I'm not sure how the cheaper plasma's are these days - and I'd always recommend that you get to demo any TV you have in mind - especially on SD sport, the one that really separates the men from the boys. The main drawback for me of Plasma is burn in - stick to LED if you plan to play games a lot.

b318isp wrote: »
    I've yet to see an LED picture to better my Pioneer Plasma, so I would be biased in that direction. That said, I'm not sure how the cheaper plasma's are these days - and I'd always recommend that you get to demo any TV you have in mind - especially on SD sport, the one that really separates the men from the boys. The main drawback for me of Plasma is burn in - stick to LED if you plan to play games a lot.

Thanks for reply.
    I dont do any gaming at all :)

b318isp wrote: »

So just a query, these days, is 730 Euro cheap for a 50 Inch LG plasma ?

Your sport comes in a 25 frames per second. You need 50 hertz to display that at a 1 to 1 ratio(progressive). Most TV's now days are 100 hertz, so your TV spends half its time waiting on a signal.

Early/cheap LCD's suffered from ghosting due to **** panels, "fake" hertz and bad color to color changes.

I haven't seen a TV that does it now in nearly four years. And the few that might have been questionable, the issue was post processing for normal non motion TV. Easily turned off by setting the screen to "Game".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

So just a query, these days, is 730 Euro cheap for a 50 Inch LG plasma ?

I wouldn't like to say how much mine cost!

Personally, if you are serious about picture quality this is about the minimum I would expect to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

ok, i had to get in here. .
    i was where you are now in 2009. .. i kinda knew what i wanted in a tv. . . good quality, good image.. . . . im a fussy guy, and used to hate them screens in pubs. . . hate the blocky drag on an LCD etc. . . .

then i was told, + i say the same thing to anyone looking at plasma or led/lcd today. . .if you see no difference in the 2, then by the cheapest.. . . but remember, do not go by the SHOP DISPLAY, why. . cuase its all hooked up to SLY HD. . or run a blue ray. . .. + the tv is on Dynamic shop display mode. . . . basically. . running the car at max rpm.. .
    if u done this when u got the tv home, it would burn out in 2 yrs. .

anyway

basically . . .under 32 inch, stay lcd. . it can handle it. . anything over 32 to maintain perfect image go plasma. .

on top TV sites and enthusiasts alike Plasma wins hands down on quality everytime. . . and more so on panasonic pioneer etc. . . the enriched colour/. . especially black is almost hard to come out on an lcd/led

ever see black on an lcd?. . bet its friggen grey if u look again. . ;)

ive yet to see a good lg or samsung plasma. . .i bought my 46 inch pany in 2009 for €1,300

and another thing. . . if ur like me, and dont stupidly pay sly an extra sub for HD. . the best tv for watching std tv is a plasma... zero drag. . i cant bare to watch my bro in laws tv . . . samsung led. . so blocky . .

anyway. . why have i come on here. . . well. .. buying a second tv now. . . looking at around a 42 inch for the bedroom. . . was wondering. . just go led/lcd. . .. . . as its for the bedroom. . im only looking to spend 400max5 on a tv. . .can be lcd or led or plasma. ..

currently looking at lg plasma. . on harveys for 399.

ps.. . . ghosting? image burn?. .. come on lads its not 1990. . . i pause sky for 30 mins . . and nothing. . .

panasonic. . . 48 inch plasma. . . . with pany sound bar. . . . best system ever. . . for the everyday room.

do not by a 46/48/50 plasma for anything under 1200/1600 . ..

running cost. . .well, u pick either the 2ltr TDI or the 1.4 LX. TD .

my view on it all anyway. .

now, lcd or plasma for the bedroom. . :pac:

Dynamic picture setting is only for brightly lit viewing areas, like a shop: it's not some magic optimum setting & nobody in their right mind would use it for home viewing.

Blockiness on substandard broadcast material is not a failing of the display & will be greatly increased in visibility if overly bright & sharp 'dynamic' settings are used.

New beef that was some post

Although in sayin that your decision was 4 years ago and tvs have improved alot since that........well you would think anyways

I'm thinking of a 50 inch plasma full HD for 730 Euro !!

For a 50 inch TV, how far should one be sitting from the TV for optimum viewing ?

3 meters

New beef that was some post

Although in sayin that your decision was 4 years ago and tvs have improved alot since that........well you would think anyways

I'm thinking of a 50 inch plasma full HD for 730 Euro !!

For a 50 inch TV, how far should one be sitting from the TV for optimum viewing ?

True, , but why do plasma TVs appear to be the upper MKT selection. . .
    If it blew in the morn, I'd have to ask myself would I chance LCD/led . . . to answer, I don't think I would. .

PS try and stretch for a pany. . won't be disappointed. Even drop down an inch or 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you can buy both cheaper elsewhere Samsung will last longer than lg

pixmania ie has it foor 699 euros I am sure other places are cheaper

prices are at the highest I would wait a few months to buy

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/category/reviews

True, , but why do plasma TVs appear to be the upper MKT selection. . .
    If it blew in the morn, I'd have to ask myself would I chance LCD/led . . . to answer, I don't think I would. .

PS try and stretch for a pany. . won't be disappointed. Even drop down an inch or 2

I have a budget and don't want to go above it.

So you would not recommend a 50 inch LG plasma anyways ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I believe panasonic make the best tv s on the market at present, many of them have 5 year warranty

People comparing tvs based on what they've seen in a pub, a shop, or someone else's house (unless you set up this someone else's tv for them) is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I know yee are are probably sick to the back teeth of seeing questions like this, but this particular decision is doing my head in. One minute I'm plasma, the next minute LED and vice versa, I just can't make my mind up.

If the price was roughly around the same, what would be your choice of TV

1. 50 inch Plasma, 1080 P, 600HZ

2. 50 inch LED, 1080 P, 100 HZ

mainly for sport and general television viewing. I have upc HD but only a small percentage of the channels are HD so I would probably spend most of my time watching standard definition channels.

Im looking for the one with the clearest picture quality.

OP i was faced with this about 18 months ago, I bought the 50" plasma, I went to belfast and looked at the units there was an LG LED 100 Hz vs the 50 inch Plasma, 1080 P, 600HZ sub field, they showed me a HD video of pyramids etc and I thought there was a tiny stutter on the 100Hz that was not noticeable on the plasma.

soon after I bought a 47" LG for my brother in law. There is little difference in the picture quality (this is a 200Hz LED unit) the 47" LED has passive 3D tech not active like mine so I got it as he has a bundle of kids and the glasses are cheap compared to the 70 pound a pair active ones like mine. I actually prefer the 3d on his TV.

Power consumption was not an issue really only units was 108 Watt compare to 130 Watts and it was a bigger screen, the old plasma I had was like an electric heater but the gap has closed up considerably with respect to power consumption with LED winning but not by the distances of old. It's not a huge factor anynmore

I'm told the 600hz subfiled it closer to a 400 Hz LED i dont know if this is the case , but i 100% saw a noticeable improvement in the smoothness of the picture on the 600Hz plasma vs the 100 and 150 Hz LED TVs, have not noticed it on he 200Hz one thoiugh

Advertisement