Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Prawn Festival - What did people think

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Myself and the Swiss went yesterday after all.. And what a load of rubbish.

We ended up eating in O'Connells. Then went and signed the book of condolences at the coast guard station, took a boat trip around Irelands Eye (we couldn't go ashore because of bad weather).

But tbh its stretching the imagination to market this as a 'festival'.

Don't want to say i told you so...BUT....I did :)

We usually eat in Crabby Joe's. Getting the "regular treatment" at this stage( go in once a month when buying fish in Reid's or Dorans)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was there on Friday. Food was fine at €7 each. They had a stage there where I was expecting some entertainment but there was nothing while I was there.
    Missus enjoyed cookery demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Big traffic jams exiting Howth this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

subpar wrote: »

We got the DART which was a bit of a nightmare tbh. Will drive in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Plenty of advertising on public transport and social media.

Didn't see any and use the DART and LUAS for my work commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am guessing they are trying to attract some of the extra visitors in Dublin, here for the parade... from a weather perspective, late spring \ summer or early autumn would be better. But they hardly need to do anything in summer to get people to Howth...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

subpar wrote: »

i was out collecting car about 650 and traffic was light enough and moving. seen it way worse and way heavier then that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

neris wrote: »
    i was out collecting car about 650 and traffic was light enough and moving. seen it way worse and way heavier then that

My Swiss group took the DART. I cycled and met them there.

I love Howth and promote it as often as I can. But I wouldn't be recommending this festival to anyone in future, its really nothing special or festive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

€7 for chips and scampi sounds reasonable to me, this is Dublin afterall. I was looking forward to this, but no way am I going near it in this horrible weather. That's why these kind of things should be held indoors in Ireland.

It sounds riddiculous why they'd have such a thing in the middle of March. Surely this is more of a Summer type event.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It sounds riddiculous why they'd have such a thing in the middle of March. Surely this is more of a Summer type event.

seemingly its the prawn season:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seemingly its the prawn season:)

I was wondering about that too. It's the wrong time of year, weatherwise to be holding an event like this. Are prawns seasonal? If they moved it back to the May Bank Holiday weekend (when the weather is likely to be better) would the 6 week wait, make all that big of a difference to the quality of the product? It would certainly make a big difference to the enjoyment of the event imo.

There were two Garda checkpoints at Sutton Cross yesterday, one at lunch time and one at tea time. Having two seemed excessive. It made getting thru Sutton Cross a right pain in the arse, if you just wanted to get to the Supervalu or the Dart station, never mind to/from Howth. Anyone know what they were checking for...drink drivers, tax/NCT etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

As far as I know, Prawn Season is the end of summer. The festival use to be held in early Summer but I think it was moved to Paddy's weekend last year I suppose to get more people attending.

Edit: Just checked the date of this thread and it was held end of April a couple of years ago. Could have been changed to avoid clashing with Easter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Went there early on Friday. For some reason they didnt have the marquee erected when it opened so we stood in the cold and rain watching our drinks blow away in the wind until it got too much and we gave up. The man apologising and promising "another 10 mins or so" every 10 minutes didnt help.

The €7 tokens were fine at some stalls. Others were only giving tiny portions.

Seems like a missed opportunity to have it so early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Went Saturday good cooking presentations and decent choice of stalls. Some stalls gave better portions than others but its your choice. Music on in the bandstand. Also there was a nice tent of stalls promoting local business and associations in Howth. DART out was no hassle.

The upshot for my kids trying scampi was that my 6 year old help me pull the heads off a load the following day for me to cook scampi and chips which they are and enjoyed:D

Note to self...Buy frozen prepared ones next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Seemed a bit fishy to me... Budum tish.

Seemed a bit fishy to me... Budum tish.

there's definitely a plaice for everything and a ray of sunshine in our lives....providing of course no one is codding us...:)
    ill get my coat!

Advertisement