Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nail biting: Do you do it? Does it annoy you?

• 28-04-2013 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Do you bite your nails? Does it annoy you or upset you to see anyone else doing it? I do, my father hates it :P

Do you bite your nails? 126 votes

I do
    0%
    I don't
    30%
    KilOitcharlie_saysAloraR0otXavi6Mikeyt086Mary28Riddle101OdatsooPabsooDantederfderfmeoklmrk91MonkstownHoopDoylersSmeggyDubDJrxan90smileyj1987PopTarts 38 votes
    I do and it's a bad habit
    12%
    tony 2 toneollaettaanniehooartanevillacoffeeplstonycascarinoSaadystkingcobralooking_aroundaaabbbbpaulmclaughlincrazy cabbageLenin SkynardMeangadhnumnumcakeMicky Stroker 16 votes
    I don't but I don't judge those who do
    43%
    Faithmatrim[Deleted User]PatamanpositronTar.AldarionLiam90im...LOSTBig KnoxChorcaimurphym7matthew8carlmango11Ally DickCarrollerpablomakaveliwrmwitGamer Bhoy 89bluestripe93Mr X15 55 votes
    I used to but don't anymore
    13%
    Richard DowerGLaDOSmayotomtheteal7ofBrian[Deleted User]AidricpedanticpatIIIAcHmEdIIIbrummytommaxfreshjubellaElvisChrist6akuraIhatecuddles-oldAineoilRuu 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I don't, but it doesn't bother me when other people do. I don't see why it would - it has literally no effect on me whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I don't
    I do and have done for as long as I can remember, it's pretty disgusting but that isn't stopping me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't
    Yep.

Not unusual to be bleeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to when I was small, but I don't any more. Except when I break a nail and have no scissors or nail file to hand, in that case I might use my teeth to smooth the nail down a little.

I generally don't mind people do it so much, but I have to admit that I find nails that are bitten back so much that the flesh of the fingers bulges over the front rather disgusting. I don't mind seeing it, but I would not want to be touched by such fingers... sorry if that offends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I do it when I'm in the shower, much easier that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I've bitten my nails for my entire life, I stopped a year ago and have longish nails now, but I find myself nibbling on them when I'm stressed out.
    There's nothing more annoying than someone telling you to stop biting your nails. My daughters granny is always telling me to stop, it makes me want to hit her, I'm an adult ffs! I can bite my nails if I want! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I cant wait to see the end of the movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Jack Lumber

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I do and have done for as long as I can remember, it's pretty disgusting but that isn't stopping me.
    How is it disgusting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

How is it disgusting?

Because your nails trap all kinds of dirt and bacteria, which you then put in your mouth while biting them off.

I used to do it, right up until about two years ago. Then I just stopped. Sometimes I look at them, see they're about ripe for biting and then just stave off the urge and cut them short when I go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

How is it disgusting?

Well think about it like having a dump and the tissue paper gave way, then you noticed your finger nails were long and decided to cut them into shape using your teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭pedanticpat

I never have and I never will, it's utterly repulsive and anyone that does it is a filthbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I never have and I never will, it's utterly repulsive and anyone that does it is a filthbag.

Well aren't you a treat.

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I've bitten my nails for my entire life, I stopped a year ago and have longish nails now, but I find myself nibbling on them when I'm stressed out.
    There's nothing more annoying than someone telling you to stop biting your nails. My daughters granny is always telling me to stop, it makes me want to hit her, I'm an adult ffs! I can bite my nails if I want! :mad:

You mean your mother/mother in law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't
    Just my toenails...

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just my toenails...

I'm not even disgusted by that, I'm impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm more a screw chewer than a nail biter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I don't have a clue how people are able to bite their nails, I fear that I'd just yank mine right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

You mean your mother/mother in law?

My daughters paternal granny, who is not my mother in law. ( Thank God) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't
    Yep, bite my nails everyday. For some reason, no matter how much I bite them I still have more to bite the next day. I shouldn't have fingernails at this point but I do.

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    My daughters paternal granny, who is not my mother in law. ( Thank God) :p

Oh, you're one of those. Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 zVk

I don't
    In my mouth, there are teeth. These are good for eating, and tearing things. Nails grow on fingers, teeth tear. Teeth tear nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I've had a problem with my nails for my whole life, looks like I've bitten them back to the cuticle. I wear fake ones most of the time, but people are repulsed by them.

They'd fit right in the nope thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abdul20013

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    whats disgusting about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beefstew

Nothing worse than when I'm biting my nails and the corner of the nail doesn't break off and is too sore to go at...Cue a few days of pain when anything rubs of my finger..Sometimes it even gets infected and the corner of my finger goes yellow and I burst it after a few days.

I'm addicted and i can't stop!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I play guitar so i have to. not really but it's a good excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

Only when I'm watching football. It's second nature to me that when there's a match on it's nail chewing time, and it doesn't even matter who's playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

today was the first day in 16 years that my nails have gotten long enough that i've needed to cut them.

now they're short and sharp and I keep on wanting to bite them to "fix" them :mad:

thinking about getting a nail file to round them off for future :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I bite other peoples nails. Mostly on the Luas. And yes, they do find it annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I stopped biting my nails about a year ago, did it for about 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I bit mine for as long as I can remember, I was 40 when I came here and when I saw my ex's fingernails and fingers I just stopped. She would bite them so much her fingers were swollen and would often bleed. I never got that bad I just bit my nails, but I'm glad I've stopped, thing is I let them grow too long now lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

i did it all my life. my mother used to paint my nails with that horrible tasting stuff thats meant to stop the biting, i grew to like the taste!

i stopped biting a few years ago and went the other way altogether, filing and keeping neat etc

i started biting again due to sitting in front of the tv for the last year watch ing the baby on the moniter.

dont even realise that im doing it half the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I don't
    Being doing it all my life I suppose. Most I went without was two weeks and it felt extremely weird. I have started using the Neutrogena Norwegian handcream and that has been helped alot with the hangnails and soreness around the cuticles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I do it. Managed to stop doing it for a couple of years a while back but just got back into the habit of it again. I dont even realise im doing it sometimes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Minus one vote from "I do and it's a bad habit" Clicked the wrong one..

I don't..and it's a bad habit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I found that since I started taking multivitamins, my nails grow much faster. Anyone else find this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

i dont do it anymore the last box of 6'' nails from homebase put me off it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the number of nail-biters! I used to do it for a while when I was a kid but haven't done it since then. I trim and file my nails and keep them short and tidy. The idea of biting them is pretty gross to me (sorry)... just the thought of the amount of dirt and bacteria that gathers under your finger nails (and on your hands) makes me shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The noise of someone biting their nails annoys me, like nails on a blackboard - the look of bitten nails doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zVk

I don't
    tomboylady wrote: »
    ... just the thought of the amount of dirt and bacteria that gathers under your finger nails (and on your hands) makes me shudder.

Don't watch this then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't, herself does. The act itself doesn't bother me in the slightest. Finding horrible discarded nail bits in random places on the other hand . . . :mad:

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I do, have done so all my life. :( You can generally tell what my mental health is like by the condition of my fingernails at that time.

I spent most of my late teens on a quest to find a girl who could bite her own toenails. Flexibility is underrated, as is not being squeamish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I spent most of my late teens on a quest to find a girl who could bite her own toenails. Flexibility is underrated, as is not being squeamish.

I can do this. I don't but I can! ;) :P

I used to bite my nails until last year but not anymore. They're now very pretty and I love being able to paint them and look after them. I'm actually proud that after 20 years of biting I finally managed to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I love my nails, they're one of the few parts of my body I actually like so I'm not biting those babies for anything. One of my best friends is more of a skin-around-the-nails kind of biter which is nearly worse, biting to the point of bleeding...

I did read before that licking your own toilet seat would be cleaner than biting your nails, because most people use anti bacterial spray or bleach on their toilets but your hands pick up all sorts as you go about whatever you do in a day. That could be rubbish but given the emphasis the HSE put on hand hygiene during swine flu times and still when you visit a hospital, I'd well believe that most of us are carrying around more bacteria than we realise.

But I'll admit it's more cos I like my nails than cos of hygiene that I'm not a biter.

I used to bite my nails until last year but not anymore. They're now very pretty and I love being able to paint them and look after them. I'm actually proud that after 20 years of biting I finally managed to stop.

Well done you. That gives me some hope. :)

I never bite my nails. I know where they've been. Eeeugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I bite my nails out of habit and have done for the last 20 years of my life. It started out as a nervous childhood habit and now it's grown into something of a thing I do on an unconscious level. I don't really realise I'm biting my nails until I inadvertably make my fingers bleed. I also have scar tissue on my right index finger's knuckle as I used to chew on it 'til it was mangled, raw and bleeding.
    Don't do it as much these days but the urge is always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

How typical. Wandering Boards.ie whilst biting my nails and look at the thread that I come across. Someone's watching me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Have been biting for the last 10 odd years! I've tried to stop a few times but always start again if I'm stressed.

Haven't bitten them in 2 days, college exams coming up and writing with no fingernails can be awkward enough!

Anyone else tried that rotten tasting varnish-type-stuff you can put on them?

13spanner wrote: »
    Have been biting for the last 10 odd years! I've tried to stop a few times but always start again if I'm stressed.

Haven't bitten them in 2 days, college exams coming up and writing with no fingernails can be awkward enough!

Anyone else tried that rotten tasting varnish-type-stuff you can put on them?
    I have. It works as long as I remember to put it on! :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement