Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into new house, electricity etc.

Options
  • 28-04-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I moving into a new place tomorrow and have a few questions.

Electricity, how do I go about this? Getting a bill in my name and such as I won't have any other utilities in my name at this address, what do I have to do? Also will the ESB ask for a deposit seeing as I am a first time customer?

My bank, my insurance etc. is it just a case of ring up and let them know that I have changed my address?

Anything else I should know with regarding bills etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just ring up and have your address changed.

with regards to the esb , they will ask for a deposit but ive lived in 3 houses over the last 5 years and every time chose not to pay the deposit and just wait for the bill to show up, was never once cut off because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

just ring up and have your address changed.

with regards to the esb , they will ask for a deposit but ive lived in 3 houses over the last 5 years and every time chose not to pay the deposit and just wait for the bill to show up, was never once cut off because of it.

I would be a little bit nervous of getting into debt with regards to the deposit, it is €300 for Electric Ireland, I think I might go with one of those pay as you go meters, I know that I will be paying for the privilege but I am going to be on a seriously tight budget for a while and don't want to run up bills I can't pay. Now I just have decide between Pre pay power and pinergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I would be a little bit nervous of getting into debt with regards to the deposit, it is €300 for Electric Ireland, I think I might go with one of those pay as you go meters, I know that I will be paying for the privilege but I am going to be on a seriously tight budget for a while and don't want to run up bills I can't pay. Now I just have decide between Pre pay power and pinergy.

I think you have to clear it with the landlord if you want to get in prepay power, but I cant see why it would be a problem. They usually come within a week to install the meter so you'd have to get the landlord to cancel the original provider.

Chucken wrote: »
    I think you have to clear it with the landlord if you want to get in prepay power, but I cant see why it would be a problem. They usually come within a week to install the meter so you'd have to get the landlord to cancel the original provider.

I'll clear it with him, I don't think he would have an issue as he's fairly sound. I think that it will suit me better for the time being atleast as having to pay first months rent, the deposit and a deposit for the electricity is a hell of a lot of money to be handing out.

I'll clear it with him, I don't think he would have an issue as he's fairly sound. I think that it will suit me better for the time being atleast as having to pay first months rent, the deposit and a deposit for the electricity is a hell of a lot of money to be handing out.

I can highly recommend prepay power. We've it it for about 2 months now and its brilliant :)

• Advertisement

I can highly recommend prepay power. We've it it for about 2 months now and its brilliant :)

Do you find that you are saving money? Or is it just more the convenience factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Do you find that you are saving money? Or is it just more the convenience factor?

It just works out the same really you will be more aware of how much you are spending and no shock bills, I think if you go direct debit you dont have to pay the 300 deposit. Personally I have a standing order for my gas a tenner week cuts the bill down a lot also do this with my phone bill.

I think we're saving money. Our direct debit was set at 45e a week, now we put 35e a week in the meter and its plenty. We havent cut back on using anything apart from turning off the sky box at night.

Even if you go dd with another provider, you still have to pay the 300e deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think we're saving money. Our direct debit was set at 45e a week, now we put 35e a week in the meter and its plenty. We havent cut back on using anything apart from turning off the sky box at night.

Even if you go dd with another provider, you still have to pay the 300e deposit.
    Well, you must be cutting back subconsciously (maybe the best way!) because the sky box doesn't use €10 electricity a week in (at night only, so perhaps 70 hours?)

The LL may not agree to the prepay meter for his own reasons. I probably would as a LL, but it depends where the house is (I wouldn't install a prepay meter on a rural property miles from the nearest place you can top up the card, for example!)

murphaph wrote: »
    Well, you must be cutting back subconsciously (maybe the best way!) because the sky box doesn't use €10 electricity a week in (at night only, so perhaps 70 hours?)

The LL may not agree to the prepay meter for his own reasons. I probably would as a LL, but it depends where the house is (I wouldn't install a prepay meter on a rural property miles from the nearest place you can top up the card, for example!)

I have contacted the LL to see what he says about it, just waiting to hear back. I get what you are saying about a rural property but there is a €5 emergency button that you can activate if you run out so its not like if you forget to get the credit you are going to be cut off there and then. Plus you can buy credit over the phone as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have contacted the LL to see what he says about it, just waiting to hear back. I get what you are saying about a rural property but there is a €5 emergency button that you can activate if you run out so its not like if you forget to get the credit you are going to be cut off there and then. Plus you can buy credit over the phone as well.
    I thought the card had to be topped up physically. Are the meters networked somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

You can top up in your shop or ring Prepay Power and pay by card and they give you a code

Advertisement