Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

honey

• 28-04-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

anyone know of a local producer of 100% natural honey. leinster area. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

checkout http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoc.html and contact one of the association secretaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 broke

Hi. I am producing pure wicklow honey. It will be available in sept. It is going to be spun One frame at a time and jared to get the full flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

broke wrote: »
    Hi. I am producing pure wicklow honey. It will be available in sept. It is going to be spun One frame at a time and jared to get the full flavour.

Hi, what part of wicklow ? & how much a jar ?
    A

Hi. The bees would get a good look at little sugar loaf, It will be 7 euro for a small jar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

broke wrote: »
    Hi. The bees would get a good look at little sugar loaf, It will be 7 euro for a small jar.

Would they see the sea over their shoulder!!

What weight is a small jar ? Tis a very variable size

Ta

A

If they look over their shoulder they would see it. Small jar is 250g/280g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Is there anyone in Clare who can supply beekeeping supplies and advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

How much for combs?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

dicky82 wrote: »
    anyone know of a local producer of 100% natural honey. leinster area. thanks.

Me

• Advertisement

Me

You sell direct or through shops? In a market?

me 2

You sell direct or through shops? In a market?

So far direct, did the craft fair in Ashbourne last year, hope to need to find a shop or two this year.

Hopsack in Rathmines sells (reasonably) local honey, but it's awful dear. Would you think of selling, say, in the little market in the car park in Terenure - not sure which days of the week it's on - or the organic market in Brighton Square?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Anyone know where honey made from just ling heather can be found in or near Dublin? I've tried the obvious places like Fallon & Byrne and done health food shops and none of them had even heard of it. M&S have a blend of ling and other Heathers but not 100%
    Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

First Up wrote: »
    Anyone know where honey made from just ling heather can be found in or near Dublin? I've tried the obvious places like Fallon & Byrne and done health food shops and none of them had even heard of it. M&S have a blend of ling and other Heathers but not 100%
    Any suggestions?

Best bet is to get to know a (or some) beekeeper(s). There's Ling near my hives and depending on the flow and the amount collected by the bees I might process some separately. I'm near a bog though so it's a mixed crop really and I'd be picking out the frames of heather from the rest.

I know there are a few Dublin beekeepers who will take their hives to the mountains for a specific heather crop. Your best bet might be to get to the Co. Dublin beekeepers annual honey show in Rathgar early and buy enough to last you for the year or get chatting to the beekeepers to see who's near you. The honey show will probably be November again... you can keep an eye on http://dublinbees.org/. Honey is often sold out by early afternoon.

Just to add...

The heather will only be starting to bloom around now so hopefully this year's heather honey will be coming on the market sometime in the next couple of months.

brianmc wrote: »
    Best bet is to get to know a (or some) beekeeper(s). There's Ling near my hives and depending on the flow and the amount collected by the bees I might process some separately. I'm near a bog though so it's a mixed crop really and I'd be picking out the frames of heather from the rest.

I know there are a few Dublin beekeepers who will take their hives to the mountains for a specific heather crop. Your best bet might be to get to the Co. Dublin beekeepers annual honey show in Rathgar early and buy enough to last you for the year or get chatting to the beekeepers to see who's near you. The honey show will probably be November again... you can keep an eye on http://dublinbees.org/. Honey is often sold out by early afternoon.

Just to add...

The heather will only be starting to bloom around now so hopefully this year's heather honey will be coming on the market sometime in the next couple of months.

OK - thanks. Am I correct in interpreting that as it is not possible to buy ling honey in a regular shop?

OK - thanks. Am I correct in interpreting that as it is not possible to buy ling honey in a regular shop?

:)

I don't know! I've never tried.

I would imagine that if you find it, it may well just be labelled "Heather Honey" rather than specifically Ling Heather. Once the honey is thick and almost jelly like you can be pretty sure it's Ling heather. It's thick enough that bubbles don't rise out of it so it usually has a kind of suspended "sparkling water" look to it.

But yeah, heather honey stocks are presumably at their annual low point at the moment.

:)

I don't know! I've never tried.

I would imagine that if you find it, it may well just be labelled "Heather Honey" rather than specifically Ling Heather. Once the honey is thick and almost jelly like you can be pretty sure it's Ling heather. It's thick enough that bubbles don't rise out of it so it usually has a kind of suspended "sparkling water" look to it.

But yeah, heather honey stocks are presumably at their annual low point at the moment.

The problem with the places I tried was that they did not know what I was talking about, so I don't think it is to do with stock levels!

The only refernce to ling I saw anywhere was the jar in M&S. I guess it just isn't something that has been important to them. One shop asked me to spell it!

The problem with the places I tried was that they did not know what I was talking about, so I don't think it is to do with stock levels!

The only refernce to ling I saw anywhere was the jar in M&S. I guess it just isn't something that has been important to them. One shop asked me to spell it!

You might get a better response just asking about heather honey and deciding for yourself whether it is Ling or not - it almost certainly, mostly, is.
    Beekeepers would talk about heather honey rather than Ling honey and most would package their Ling heather honey simply as "Heather honey" without seeing a need to distinguish. It's kind of assumed you're talking about the good stuff!

• Advertisement

I'm no expert but from the bit of research I've done, there seems to be two kinds of heather - Ling and Erica. I have been asked by a friend overseas to bring some honey made from the former on a trip next week. Problem is, I can't make that differentiation based on the labels.

I have seen Scottish heather honey advertised very specifically as Ling, so I can't assume something simply called Heather Honey meets the spec.

I'm no expert but from the bit of research I've done, there seems to be two kinds of heather - Ling and Erica. I have been asked by a friend overseas to bring some honey made from the former on a trip next week. Problem is, I can't make that differentiation based on the labels.

I have seen Scottish heather honey advertised very specifically as Ling, so I can't assume something simply called Heather Honey meets the spec.

Ling heather honey is quite different from Erica heather honey... Ling heather honey has that jelly like texture I mentioned with the sparkling water effect. Erica heather honey does not. Mostly when a beekeeper talks about heather honey, in Ireland, they are talking about Ling heather honey.

Ling heather honey is quite different from Erica heather honey... Ling heather honey has that jelly like texture I mentioned with the sparkling water effect. Erica heather honey does not. Mostly when a beekeeper talks about heather honey, in Ireland, they are talking about Ling heather honey.

I just wish they would say so on the labels!

As far as I know because heather honey from other than ling is the same consistency as other floral honeys it is not referred to as heather honey and mostly is extracted and blended with floral honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If anyone wants to sell a jar around Laois or North tipp I'll take one. PM me if you want. Thanks.

Advertisement