Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumble/Vent/Teamspeak way too complicated for me.....

• 28-04-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Okay, I have no idea how to use those 3 programs. I didn't think trying to talk to my friend over either would be such a hassle. All I want to do is talk to my friend privately with little or no lag as possible. (Skype is laggy for my friend whenever he does so little as browse his internet. eg: loading a page is what lags it up and the quality drops)

I don't want to rent a server just to talk to one person, sounds pointless and as far as I know Teamspeak is the only one I know that does it. I don't know how to set up a private chat on any of the 3 programs I've mentioned. I thought it was simple as hell because of the popularity of them. But my problem is that it seems I'm being forced to jump into chat sessions with complete strangers in order to talk to one friend that I know personally.

I don't even know if I'm making any sense of this. But either could someone explain how any of these programs work? Or could someone direct me to a simpler program that I can chat to one person over, or at least have the option to, rather than all of this confusing server setting-up b*llox that just boggles my brain something awful.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a look at Google talk. Works in a Web browser from your Gmail inbox. There's also voice chat in steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

you could use the voice chat feature in steam.Only recently started using it as opposed to mumble and am finding it fairly clear and not much of a bandwich hog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

gamercfc wrote: »
    Okay, I have no idea how to use those 3 programs. I didn't think trying to talk to my friend over either would be such a hassle. All I want to do is talk to my friend privately with little or no lag as possible. (Skype is laggy for my friend whenever he does so little as browse his internet. eg: loading a page is what lags it up and the quality drops)

I don't want to rent a server just to talk to one person, sounds pointless and as far as I know Teamspeak is the only one I know that does it. I don't know how to set up a private chat on any of the 3 programs I've mentioned. I thought it was simple as hell because of the popularity of them. But my problem is that it seems I'm being forced to jump into chat sessions with complete strangers in order to talk to one friend that I know personally.

I don't even know if I'm making any sense of this. But either could someone explain how any of these programs work? Or could someone direct me to a simpler program that I can chat to one person over, or at least have the option to, rather than all of this confusing server setting-up b*llox that just boggles my brain something awful.

Add me on STEAM if you have it, link in my Sig, else PM me. I'll walk you through any or all 3 and even show you a public TS that lets you set up private rooms for you and your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

join the boards TS and go to a room.

or get your own server, its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

dreamers75 wrote: »
    join the boards TS and go to a room.

or get your own server, its not rocket science.

That's easy for you to say because you know all about that kind of thing but I am completely new to it and I had no clue that it would be as complicated as it has been. I spent about an hour trying to get the hang of all three and I had no idea where to begin...

However,
    I was told elsewhere that, on Teamspeak, you can jump into a public room but create a password-protected private channel within the room. So I'm gonna try that.

I'll give Steam a go as well, never realized that Steam had a voice chat feature.

Thanks for the help lads much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Laviski

we have an open teamspeak with public channels. but anyone is free to create their own temp channels with or without a password.

gaellords.com:9987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

gamercfc wrote: »
    That's easy for you to say because you know all about that kind of thing but I am completely new to it and I had no clue that it would be as complicated as it has been. I spent about an hour trying to get the hang of all three and I had no idea where to begin...

However,
    I was told elsewhere that, on Teamspeak, you can jump into a public room but create a password-protected private channel within the room. So I'm gonna try that.

I'll give Steam a go as well, never realized that Steam had a voice chat feature.

Thanks for the help lads much appreciated.

- Load up Teamspeak, Select Connections - and click connect
    60959409.png
    -The above server is a public TS you can use

-You will be brought to a channel like the below
    75904171.png

-Right click in the channel area , and select "Create channel" , fill in the boxes as you will [Name / Password] is all you really need
    83921720.png

-The only other 2 things you need to check, and your settings for Input/Output - setting up a button to "Push to Talk .
    - Just go to settings --> Options and set them , such as the below

71649078.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Meatwad wrote: »
    you could use the voice chat feature in steam.Only recently started using it as opposed to mumble and am finding it fairly clear and not much of a bandwich hog.

One issue with steams built in chat is it doesnt work with some of their games!

It wont let you use it when playing left 4 dead and tf2 iirc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Could that be because of the push-to-talk probably overlapping with the PTT in those games? I've never really had to use it cause I've generally used TS, Vent or mumble to chat, depending on who I'm playing with, so I didn't know that was an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Angron wrote: »
    Could that be because of the push-to-talk probably overlapping with the PTT in those games? I've never really had to use it cause I've generally used TS, Vent or mumble to chat, depending on who I'm playing with, so I didn't know that was an issue.

They actually disable it i think. It works fine with Dota 2 so there is no technical issue with doing it (you can still ptt in Dota)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Oh right. Didn't realise that happened in those games. I've only used the steam voice chat a handful of times really for games like AoE 2 or whatever when the other person didn't have any of the other stuff installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Not to take away from your point, Witness, but I'm pretty certain we used Steam's built-in chat when playing the original L4D back in the day. :D

Advertisement