Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenya

• 28-04-2013 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Looking at heading to Kenya in October. I will be travelling with my husband. We have about 3 weeks and was just looking for any recommendations/tips.

The current idea is to fly to Nairobi, do a safari from there, head over to Mombasa for a few nights before heading up the coast somewhere (maybe Lamu Island).

Appreciate any info you might have!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was there 12 years ago, get out of Nairobi straight away a right siht hole, Mombasa is the same ok to do a tour during the day but no go at night, after doing your safari tour in Kenya take a flight to Zanzibar or take a boat trip from Mombasa to Zanzibar( my sister did this 2years ago and said it was fantastic). There's plenty of safaris out there check a few and see what suits you and your price. But I'd recommend adding Zanzibar to your trip much more to do there than lamai...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Was there 12 years ago, get out of Nairobi straight away a right siht hole, Mombasa is the same ok to do a tour during the day but no go at night, after doing your safari tour in Kenya take a flight to Zanzibar or take a boat trip from Mombasa to Zanzibar( my sister did this 2years ago and said it was fantastic). There's plenty of safaris out there check a few and see what suits you and your price. But I'd recommend adding Zanzibar to your trip much more to do there than lamai...

Whi is mombasa a no go at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

I agree about Nairobi being a ****hole, but I liked Mombasa. I don't think it is a no go at night, but you just have to be very careful i.e. get taxis door to door.

Lamu is beautiful. It is definitely worth the trip up there. Diani beach, which is closer to Mombasa is also supposed to be really nice.

Sounds like a good plan, you won't have a problem finding a safari in Nairobi, just shop around a little. When you are going to/from Mombasa, I would recommend taking the train one way at least. It is a lot slower than the bus, but it is overnight and is a pretty cool experience. The train is a real throwback to colonial times. You get breakfast served to you in the dining cart in the morning. If you go first class you might even get dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

mectavba wrote: »
    I agree about Nairobi being a ****hole, but I liked Mombasa. I don't think it is a no go at night, but you just have to be very careful i.e. get taxis door to door.

Lamu is beautiful. It is definitely worth the trip up there. Diani beach, which is closer to Mombasa is also supposed to be really nice.

Sounds like a good plan, you won't have a problem finding a safari in Nairobi, just shop around a little. When you are going to/from Mombasa, I would recommend taking the train one way at least. It is a lot slower than the bus, but it is overnight and is a pretty cool experience. The train is a real throwback to colonial times. You get breakfast served to you in the dining cart in the morning. If you go first class you might even get dinner.

Thanks a mil! Haven't done much more research lately but flights are booked anyways! Got a great deal on Ethihad sale.

Advertisement