Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

facebook friends

• 28-04-2013 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

Today my youngest son laughed yes laughed at me as I had ONLY 23 friends on facebook, he thought it was quiet funny I was such a loner. Now of the 23 friends most are cousins and friends whom I don't go online to incase I have to talk to them because can't stand them in real life so why would I want to talk to them online. I know I know shouldn't have friended them in first place. live and learn eh. Only go on fakebook to see what the kids up to and behaving. Anyhow made me wonder am I the only one on the planet who doesn't befriend everyone who asks or are there other like minded people out there? Surely I'm not alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

You are not alone...

Sure don't ya have 23 friends!

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Insert one of those witty AH response regarding being alone / loner or something that will hoover up the thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Friends are just strangers who know your name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

23 friends? and one if them is your son... OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

I like alone ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I don't have 23 friends in real life, let alone facebook.
    Enemies, now them I have in spades!

Actually 2 are sons...daughter wouldn't friend me, so not cool thing to do, so she says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Had to get off Facebook for a finish.

Aside from a handful of actual uses, it's just a big hub for gossip :pac:

I can't understand how you can have hundreds of friends on there and most of them you pass on street without so much as a hey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭1hottmofo

Ive a facebook page for my cat

She has more than 23 friends

• Advertisement

ahhhh a cat knows more than me, but I'm ok with that I like my own company, tis others I have the problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

1hottmofo wrote: »
    Ive a facebook page for my cat

She has more than 23 friends

tell it to add me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

tell it to add me

Sorry, I don't befriend losers or stalkers :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭1hottmofo

tell it to add me

No naughty emails.shes neutered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

erm have you actually read all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I've 500 "friends" and havn't a boggs who 300 of them are, 100 havn't a boggs who I am and the other 100 are people I avoid. You gotta love Facebook friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I use face book for image uploading. (as they have no limit unlike other sites)
    Thats why I joined.
    So I have like very very few friends on it. I prefer to make it obvious that I'm a loner :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

But you did add people you can't stand:confused:
    How are you different than the people you're talking about:confused::confused:

I like all of the people on my facebook account and wouldn't walk past them without a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Quality, not quantity

• Advertisement

But you did add people you can't stand
    How are you different than the people you're talking about

I'm a slow learner, can I add you.. oh wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I don't get the whole friend list being public thing. Why would anyone want go have it known to the world how many friends who have and more importantly who they are?

At if respect for people's privacy I've my friend list set to private. If we're friends on fb, you'll see mutual friends. There's no need to see the details of people you don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Only a hundred odd posts too OP. You're some no mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Have you tried Bebo?

Bebo 4eva! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Most people I know that use Facebook have multiple accounts. There is their own account, then the safe one for family to see, then one or more for the stagename(s) account(s), then the sideline business(s) account(s).
    It makes me feel popular.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Only a hundred odd posts too OP. You're some no mark

Yeah which is roughly 24.6 per month
    You have been a user since March 2002 roughly 15.5 ..think that makes you more of a no mark Bambi
    However I don't go by who posts what when, only since it seemed to matter to you. Have a good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I deleted my FB account about two months ago after about 3 years of infrequent use. As I rarely visited they constantly sent me mail telling me what I was missing out on etc
    I had about 50 contacts of which about 10 were friends and the rest were people I know but am not in contact with. Didn't see the point of it and never used it so got rid of it.

then the safe one for family to see

Does the other blow up?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

OldGoat wrote: »
    Most people I know that use Facebook have multiple accounts. There is their own account, then the safe one for family to see, then one or more for the stagename(s) account(s), then the sideline business(s) account(s).
    It makes me feel popular.
    I know someone who has a few multiple accounts, which I think they use to win competitions on Facebook. Bit ridiculous really, but nyeh, whatever floats their boat I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Out of all the friends I have on Facebook, I've ignored probably all of them except for 6 or 7 of them.

Only so much support for Youth Defence or immigrant bashing one can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

You should have asked your kid to really think deep and tell you honestly, how many of his mass of Facebook friends are real friends, ones who would be there for him during thick and thin.............

Then watch his face drop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've actually written a book about this! Well, and other annoying aspects of Facebook. It's out soon... *cough* plug *cough*.

Interestingly, a UK survey by Intersperience in May 2011 found that Facebook users in their fifties have 50 times less numbers than that of users in their twenties, while the average 22-year-old user has average of 1,000 friends. I have around 220, which I think is fair enough for someone who is 28 and acquired the majority of through old workmates/university etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have around 200 I think, a lot of my friends have like 600 which I think is crazy, I try to be selective and only add people who don't annoy me and that I actually know some bit.

50 times less numbers

what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have around 200 I think, a lot of my friends have like 600 which I think is crazy, I try to be selective and only add people who don't annoy me and that I actually know some bit.

200- that is selective!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

All these navel-gazing threads about Facebook need their own forum at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I done a clear out of "friends" on FB before Xmas, decided to do it after realizing I'm Friends with people that would walk by you in the street without even a hello or a look :rolleyes: Don't use it that much and only really interested in seeing what my actual freinds are doing & uploading.

anyways long story short: was out over the xmas in one of my local pubs and this girl ( a girl that was in my year in school that I barley spoke to at all) approaches me "is there any reason why you deleted me as a Friend on fb?" I was gob smacked, all I could reply with was "ah I must of done it by accident" :o Tbh I didn't even know the girls name until one of friends with me reminded me.

I'm assuming the girl woke the next day with the fear and regret or more or less telling me that she checked up FB from time to time even though we don't talk :rolleyes:

Moral of the story is, even when you don't talk to the people you are Friends with on FB they will still stalk you. Beware :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've got 338 friends on Facebook. Most of them I've met and spent a bit of time with but I've been deleted and have deleted people who I've forgotten and visa verse. I use Facebook to stay in touch with people and upload photos and to pass the time. Who gives a ****e? It is what it is. This pride in not using it or only befriending a select few comes off even worse tbh.

pride...I think not

pride...I think not

Many people I've met come across like they're proud they don't use it, which I don't get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The day people allowed Facebook to define 'friend' was a sad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Many people I've met come across like they're proud they don't use it, which I don't get.

And vice versa. I don't make a point of delibrately saying I'm not on Facebook, but when I'm asked and I give the response, it's "you're not in Facebook? oh the humanity!!!!".

Not proud, know there are those who do and those who don't what ever floats the boat

Steve O wrote: »
    And vice versa. I don't make a point of delibrately saying I'm not on Facebook, but when I'm asked and I give the response, it's "you're not in Facebook? oh the humanity!!!!".

That's equally lame but you rarely see threads criticising people not on Facebook. Not sure why people criticise either way. It's just a tool for communication and particularly useful when you're living away from home.

Not proud, know there are those who do and those who don't what ever floats the boat

Then I wasn't referring to you....

of course but hundreds and thousands of friends is the point I am trying to make, people just seem to add them because they can not because they know them or like them etc.

of course but hundreds and thousands of friends is the point I am trying to make, people just seem to add them because they can not because they know them or like them etc.

Genuinely, why do you give a ****?

Genuinely I don't, I'm just curious, I have three teens and I see their friends lists and I know for a fact they don't know or even say hi to half of them, and I know this is par for the course.

Genuinely I don't, I'm just curious, I have three teens and I see their friends lists and I know for a fact they don't know or even say hi to half of them, and I know this is par for the course.

I'm guessing they add those friends to show how popular they are or because they don't want someone not to like them for refusing them or because it makes them feel better to have more Facebook friends or because they want to perve or snoop on the person in question or just cos. I'd say the reasons are fairly obvious. At that age you want to be liked and to be seen to be popular.

Something I don't understand is those that add people on Facebook, only after meeting them once or twice. I have 340 friends (I only found that out, just as I checked there). If I didn't have such a large extended family, that number would be a lot less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement