Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

could you live without the internet.....

• 28-04-2013 11:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

For a week?, a month?....any takers on a year?
    Personally i think i could a month no problemo....but anything more then that i might be hitting the xanax :(

Could you live without the internet? 76 votes

Yup!....no problemo bro!
    0% 0 votes
    No way!...i'd end up in the loony bin!
    25% 19 votes
    Read a book you fuppin nerd!
    69% 53 votes
    What is this internet you say?
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Live where with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I could live with the internet forever. Living without incorrectly titled threads would be a nightmare though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

Yes i could live with the internet. Quite comfortably actually..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For a week?, a month?....any takers on a year?
    Personally i think i could a month no problemo....but aything more then that i might be hitting the xanax :(

i assume you mean without.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Live with it in a relationship sort of way, or as a flatmate or what?

Please be more specific

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I live with it everyday OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I couldn't live without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Me and the internet live together, go for walks and have a great laugh together.

So yes I could and do live with the internet. We are very happy.

*Looks lovingly at laptop*:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I don't think I could. I could try, but the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't be pretty :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Not a chance could i live 10 minutes off the internet, i'd be back in the stone-age if that was the case. Being connected to the world 24/7 is great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

No I use it for everything from news, weather, mail and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Not a fear could I go without the Internet for more than a few days. There have been nights where I'll shut down my laptop thinking Im done browsing for the night only to fire up the IPod for a last peruse before sleeping. I reckon I'd get genuinely edgy if I didn't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

nope, being an outsourced IT monkey I couldn't work without the interwebz. The only TV I watch is through the xbox so that would be a pain also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Why would anyone want to live without the internet?

It's become more a part of people's lives than TV ever did or could.

I don't even understand why people ask this, and it is something I hear discussed every so often.

We have this great thing that connects us to the world 24/7, why would you do without it?

Lets forget about social media, email and while we're at it phone calls and texting as well, because I reckon it's a real tragedy that people don't write letters to each other anymore

If i had no internet not only would i go mad but i wouldn't be able to upload my amazing bonkers video clips to the world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Not a chance in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

why would anyone WANT to live without the interweb?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Tried to and managed only 30 years without it. But then I cracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Longest I've gone without the internet was 6 weeks but in truth, I was in the hospital for that time. Even so, the idea of no internet for a prolonged period breaks me out in a cold sweat. Without Facebook, I'd be a complete social hermit. Granted, I *am* a social hermit but more in the physical sense..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I could still breathe in and out. My food doesn't grow in the internet. The internet doesn't keep the rain off my head. I managed more than half my life without access to the internet.

Yes, I could live without it. It certainly makes fartin' about and wasting time a lot more convenient, but life would poddle on just grand if it disappeared tomorrow. The main difference would be that I'd get more done...

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    I could still breathe in and out. My food doesn't grow in the internet. The internet doesn't keep the rain off my head. I managed more than half my life without access to the internet.

Yes, I could live without it. It certainly makes fartin' about and wasting time a lot more convenient, but life would poddle on just grand if it disappeared tomorrow. The main difference would be that I'd get more done...

You can learn a lot from the internet, many courses can be done on it and it can keep you in touch with loved ones no matter where they are in the world free. It's an amazing invention and it will be always here to stay.

I couldn't imagine the world without the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I know shelter, heat, food, water and clothes are top of the human needs but internet isn't far behind these days.
    There's so many day to day things that need work, emails, houses, bills, tax, flights, information and entertainment.
    I hate Facebook.

Twitter >>>> Facebook

zenno wrote: »
    You can learn a lot from the internet, many courses can be done on it and it can keep you in touch with loved ones no matter where they are in the world free. It's an amazing invention and it will be always here to stay.

I couldn't imagine the world without the internet.
    You can also learn a lot without it. I completed my first degree pre-internet access. Of course, pre-Wikipaedia, there was a necessity to research and understand a topic rather than cut and paste assignments...
    I kept in touch with people all over the world pre-internet. I don't dispute these. What the internet does is make them more convenient. It is of course an amazing invention and will always be here to stay. I'd miss it if it disappeared tomorrow. But I'd get on just fine without it.

I don't have to imagine a world without the internet. I remember it. It was nice. Still nice now.

You can also learn a lot without it. I completed my first degree pre-internet access. Of course, pre-Wikipaedia, there was a necessity to research and understand a topic rather than cut and paste assignments...
    I kept in touch with people all over the world pre-internet. I don't dispute these. What the internet does is make them more convenient. It is of course an amazing invention and will always be here to stay. I'd miss it if it disappeared tomorrow. But I'd get on just fine without it.

I don't have to imagine a world without the internet. I remember it. It was nice. Still nice now.

I agree with you, but access at a touch of a finger can make work and life that much easier and less troublesome, sure all i used to do before the net came here in Ireland was read books and i still do but anything that makes life that much easier is good in my book.

The net has tastes for everyone whether you want to learn programming or how to plant a seed, it's not all youtube and facebook/twitter of which i have absolutely no time for as that stuff is for the fluoridated people :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I lived for a while without a tv and many people passed remarks on it and asked me questions like - do you ever get bored?

Living without tv was something I loved. I had a portable dvd player and I watched movies on that, mostly at weekends. If there was something on tv, I wanted to watch, I went to the pub or home.

I loved it. My life was so much better. I slept better too.

I'd love to do the same now with the internet. Cut it out. Even if it was just for a month. I mean like, when I wake, the first thing I do is check out boards and other sites on my mobile. That can't be healthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Yes. I can still get a hard on looking at pictures

Yes. I can still get a hard on looking at pictures
    And without looking at pictures/websites...?

:P

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I lived for a while without a tv and many people passed remarks on it and asked me questions like - do you ever get bored?

Living without tv was something I loved. I had a portable dvd player and I watched movies on that, mostly at weekends. If there was something on tv, I wanted to watch, I went to the pub or home.

I loved it. My life was so much better. I slept better too.

I'd love to do the same now with the internet. Cut it out. Even if it was just for a month. I mean like, when I wake, the first thing I do is check out boards and other sites on my mobile. That can't be healthly.

I was into the TV myself before and about 5/6 years ago i picked it up and walked across the road and dumped it into a skip and that was the end of TV for me, i never looked back as it is garbage, haven't watched a TV since.

But i can never see myself do that with the computer/internet. Most people use the net for entertainment but i use it for learning and education reasons and a bit of entertainment, it's a valuable tool if used correctly.

Young kids with the sponge of a brain they have are starting to learn and be taught computer programming now and this is a good thing and the free programming courses you can do online are great for their brain as to progress in the future of technology, hopefully far away from the brain-dead TV.

Friends still think there's something wrong with me because i don't have a TV.

about 5/6 years ago i picked it up and walked across the road and dumped it into a skip and that was the end of TV for me
    Same! About 3 years ago. Why is the first question people ask when you say you don't have a TV 'do you watch TV on the internet then?'

• Advertisement

Same! About 3 years ago. Why is the first question people ask when you say you don't have a TV 'do you watch TV on the internet then?'

I don't watch TV at all. The reason i dumped it was because one night i was sitting there really stuck into a documentary and the bloody adverts were going on with no end and i lost interest in this documentary because the adds ruined it and some really dumb-ass adverts as well so i just said enough of this and put it to sleep.

I don't watch TV full stop, on the internet either, i watch a bit of news is all, and if i want to watch something interesting with no adverts i pay a tiny fee to do so. I read most of the time and if theres a good flick out then i will pay a small fee to watch it online that does me grand once i don't have to watch adverts.

Brain-washing me about shampoo and food, i just can't handle adverts, i'm allergic to them. Even talking about them makes me want to throw the TV into the skip again but i don't have one to dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Haven't used it in 4 years and don't miss it one bit.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Haven't used it in 4 years and don't miss it one bit.
    I see what you did there!

It goes to show that you don't need the internet to do things like that.

It goes to show that you don't need the internet to do things like that.

OK, i'm missing something, call it puzzled, but what is... ^^^

OK, i'm missing something, call it puzzled, but what is... ^^^

I'm here to clear up your confusion. What specifically is troubling you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

When it works correctly, it sure is beautiful.

That's what she said last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I think I could, we'd all just adjust

I'm here to clear up your confusion. What specifically is troubling you?

'Endacl' said I see what you did there! but the post you made said.... Haven't used it in 4 years and don't miss it one bit.

I don't get it... Endacl seen what you did there but i don't and that's why i'm puzzled :D

I have managed to figure out every puzzle in all tomb raider games to date but i can't figure this one out ? :pac:

'Endacl' said I see what you did there! but the post you made said.... Haven't used it in 4 years and don't miss it one bit.

I don't get it... Endacl seen what you did there but i don't and that's why i'm puzzled :D

Simply put, I as a human being, am in the internet. My usage doesn't count per say because I am just using my environment, which I see, which I can touch. This is me, this is right now.

I hope that clears the matter up.

Simply put, I as a human being, am in the internet. My usage doesn't count per say because I am just using my environment, which I see, which I can touch. This is me, this is right now.

Obviously obvious...

:D

• Advertisement

bit. Got ye, i hope. i don't miss it one bit i hope that's the point or i'm a right plonker.

bit. Got ye, i hope. i don't miss it one bit i hope that's the point or i'm a right plonker.

Go back and read my post but this time read it backwards ( start with the last sentence and work your way up ) It should become clearer to you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Coletrain joined boards 4 years ago but since then he has become so immersed he no longer realizes that he is online :)

No need to laugh Endacl.

You have to understand that not everyone is on our level and some folk need time to figure out the more complex posts on this hallowed portal.

Zod damn fecking spacecakes. :D

Read it backwards lol, i mean what would possess me to read a post backwards, well only that i copped the two of you talking about something that made no sense to me did i question it. Now i know your secret code.

No need to laugh Endacl.

You have to understand that not everyone is on our level and some folk need time to figure out the more complex posts on this hallowed portal.
    :D:D:D:D:D

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

No need to laugh Endacl.

Most likely programmer fatigue, it's such a strange job that you feel like a genius one minute and a idiot the next, of course the lack of sleep that comes with it doesn't help :D

Note: I assume zenno is a programmer since he mentioned programming twice in this thread

Zod damn fecking spacecakes. :D

Read it backwards lol, i mean what would possess me to read a post backwards, well only that i copped the two of you talking about something that made no sense to me did i question it. Now i know your secret code.

Please tell me you did, it would make my hour :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've had to send my laptop away to be repaired a few times since I got the internet, as long as you keep yourself occupied ya wouldn't miss it too much but there can be periods of extreme boredom, you get more stuff done without the distraction of it. But I would miss Amazon and using it to check and book various stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement