Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband upgrade worth it?

• 28-04-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of upgrading from my current 1mb package to the 3mb or the 8mb with these stats would I be likely to see any increase in speed, Im currently paying €42 a month for the 1mb and I cant see how much the 3mb is on the site but the 8mb is €50

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

how far are you from the exchange you might be able to go higher

http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/eircom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Either Killavullen 2-3km or Mallow 5-6km would be the exchange but I dont know which is there anyway to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

with that noise margin id say you'd get 2-3 mb

Eircom dont seem to offer the 3mb package anymore at least I cant find it on the website the 8mb unlimited package is €8 extra a month from what I'm paying now Getting the 8mb package will allow the max speed my line can do correct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Eircom dont seem to offer the 3mb package anymore at least I cant find it on the website the 8mb unlimited package is €8 extra a month from what I'm paying now Getting the 8mb package will allow the max speed my line can do correct?

It says "up to 8mb"...meaning depending on your line conditions/distance from the exchange the max speed possible is 8mb, but be aware....if you have a crap line or too far from the exchange you might only get what you are now, 1mb.

Ergo you might end up paying €8 extra for the same speed you're getting now, ask Eircom to do a line check and what the maximum your line can handle.

FYI....i'm on the 24mb package but my line can only handle 10mb :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cRz Choo Choo x

FIBRE OPTIC OR NOTHING!

They said my line can handle 4.8mbs so no idea how close to that I'll get, Id say Im at least better off trying the update as my line is constantly 1mb at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

They said my line can handle 4.8mbs so no idea how close to that I'll get, Id say Im at least better off trying the update as my line is constantly 1mb at the moment

You'll probably be able to avail of the fibre (fttc) upgrade. Where are you located? Click on 'Can I get it?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

have the 3mb from eircom myself since year. havent had any issues with it to be honest. speeds below. hardly any issues either when playing online.

2679045989.png

have the 3mb from eircom myself since year. havent had any issues with it to be honest. speeds below. hardly any issues either when playing online.
    How much is the 3mb package cant find it on their website at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

How much is the 3mb package cant find it on their website at all?

its 50e a month. unlimited download too. i was with 3 mobile before. i wont ever go back.

Got it switched to 3mb today getting the full 3m download speed this is great stuff :)
    I still dont know what exchange I'm on but the eircom lady said the line would probably get 6mb but I couldn't justify the 7mb cost.

My ping speeds went from 400ms to 30ms lol

Got it switched to 3mb today getting the full 3m download speed this is great stuff :)
    I still dont know what exchange I'm on but the eircom lady said the line would probably get 6mb but I couldn't justify the 7mb cost.

My ping speeds went from 400ms to 30ms lol

What is your address?

Castlekevin just outside Mallow the 3mb made a massive improvement even greater than I thought it would I can download 1gb per hr in steam which makes getting new games even better :)

But ya Id assume its either the Killavullen / Mallow exchange but Im around 5km from each will the new fibre rollout even make it to rural areas though

Castlekevin just outside Mallow the 3mb made a massive improvement even greater than I thought it would I can download 1gb per hr in steam which makes getting new games even better :)

But ya Id assume its either the Killavullen / Mallow exchange but Im around 5km from each will the new fibre rollout even make it to rural areas though

Well Mallow is on Phase 4 for the Fibre rollout. Keep an eye out for KN network engineers out and about in the area.;)

Advertisement