Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Dragon's Den

Options
  • 29-04-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Just wanted to say well done to Jordan Casey the 13 year old programmer from Waterford who was on the Junior Dragon's Den tonight.Spoke very well and confidently and done our city proud.

He is a good role model as well rather then sit in playing computer games he learned how to make them and now has his own business.Best of luck to him in his future career

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

yes -Jordan came across very well! congrats -
    he is starring at some tech style dragons den in a city pub in a few weeks -
    interesting concept - putting ideas and investors together at local level
    i will post more detail when i find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

jennygirl wrote: »
    yes -Jordan came across very well! congrats -
    he is starring at some tech style dragons den in a city pub in a few weeks -
    interesting concept - putting ideas and investors together at local level
    i will post more detail when i find out more

Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say well done to Jordan Casey the 13 year old programmer from Waterford who was on the Junior Dragon's Den tonight.Spoke very well and confidently and done our city proud.

He is a good role model as well rather then sit in playing computer games he learned how to make them and now has his own business.Best of luck to him in his future career
    I wonder if he has any jobs going

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thread cleaned up, davidEvans136 either post something constructive and relevant to the thread or don't post at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Very good tonight...Shane Curran from Libramatic will be a millionaire by his 18th birthday,a real genius..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

I've played some of Jordan's "Games" and IMO they are woeful, I do understand he is very young and I wish him nothing but the best in the future. As a developer myself, I just think its a little insulting to be charging money for these poorly made games.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Very good tonight...Shane Curran from Libramatic will be a millionaire by his 18th birthday,a real genius..

Yep, I watched that one just now on RTE Player, its an interesting idea alright!

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    I've played some of Jordan's "Games" and IMO they are woeful, I do understand he is very young and I wish him nothing but the best in the future. As a developer myself, I just think its a little insulting to be charging money for these poorly made games.

For God's sake give him a break and some recognition. He's 13. Good luck to him. Some other "developer" was on another forum last week castigating the chap. I sense that these developers seem a tad jealous of Jordan's success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

7upfree wrote: »
    For God's sake give him a break and some recognition. He's 13. Good luck to him. Some other "developer" was on another forum last week castigating the chap. I sense that these developers seem a tad jealous of Jordan's success.

They resent all the praise that he is getting from "lay people", that is, "non developers".

It's sickening to watch tbh.

For God's sake give him a break and some recognition. He's 13.

I do acknowledge his age, what he has achieved and I'm in no way jealous. I wish him nothing but the best in the future, but when you're charging money for a product I think its acceptable to be a little critical.

From my observations on stories about him in the Irish Times, Silicon Republic etc, he has become a golden example of these young developers. Programming is a very good skill to have and if this encourages kids to get involved, I'm all for that (just like CoderDojo http://coderdojo.com/).
    I sense that these developers seem a tad jealous of Jordan's success.

The developers aren't jealous of his success by any means, it's the method in how he makes the games is what they disagree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I do acknowledge his age, what he has achieved and I'm in no way jealous. I wish him nothing but the best in the future, but when you're charging money for a product I think its acceptable to be a little critical.

From my observations on stories about him in the Irish Times, Silicon Republic etc, he has become a golden example of these young developers. Programming is a very good skill to have and if this encourages kids to get involved, I'm all for that (just like CoderDojo http://coderdojo.com/).

The developers aren't jealous of his success by any means, it's the method in how he makes the games is what they disagree with.

I don't think you can speak for all developers.

I don't think you can speak for all developers.

Yes you're right! poor phrasing on my part, my apologies. This is a common view of the developers I know personally who are working professionally and also in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

(just like CoderDojo http://coderdojo.com/).

What a novel idea.Great way of encouraging young people to learn code.Is there anything similar for adults?

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    What a novel idea.Great way of encouraging young people to learn code.Is there anything similar for adults?

Nothing stopping you from participating! If you wish to get involved in programming send me a PM and I'd be happy to point you to some resources!

Yes you're right! poor phrasing on my part, my apologies. This is a common view of the developers I know personally who are working professionally and also in college.

I'm sure they said the same about Steve Jobs.....

Advertisement