Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zuckerberg, shut down Facebook for a month.

• 29-04-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

See how long it takes before withdrawals kick in. Is Facebook really the big online drug everyone takes for granted? I couldn't care less.

Could you live a month without Facebook? 96 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    81% 78 votes
    Was never on it
    18% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

gamercfc wrote: »
    I could care less.

So you do care? If you could care less?

Never got how this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

And joe the kids they do be poking each other on the facebook...sure that'll lead to more STD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Shut it down for good. It's the most annoying, nosey, site ever created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

gamercfc wrote: »
    See how long it takes before withdrawals kick in. Is Facebook really the big online drug everyone takes for granted? I could care less.

Hey cloud, close boards! What would the nerds in Ireland do then! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    So you do care? If you could care less?

Never got how this makes sense

Ahh nooo I meant it the opposite way! Damn you, figures of speech :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I could do without facebook. Take away twitter, though, and I kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

No sure where would I go for all the self deprecating status updates then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Couldn't care less! Don't use it, never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You're cool in an ironic way. Bet you shun smartphones too.

Nah not really. Not bothered to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In less than a week most of the traffic would be diverted to another social networking site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

ElChe32 wrote: »
    And joe the kids they do be poking each other on the facebook...sure that'll lead to more STD's

Ah jaysus.....and how does that make ya feeeeel caller?? Do dey be doin the poking in the do be day time or the do be night time or all the times of day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If Facebook went down the whole ecosystem would temporarily switch to Twitter while someone worked on a viable replacement to fill the gap left in the market for an all purpose social network.

That's essentially what Facebook is and why it's so much more popular than others. It takes all of their main features and rolls them into one website. It's like Twitter, Instagram, Digg, StumbleUpon, Blogger, YouTube and Friends Reunited in one big website.

Not actually such a genius concept when you think about it. It's not hard to see why it's so successful. Take the most popular aspects of a scattered array of small products and roll them into one super-product and it's going to be successful, I think you can apply that to more or less any type of goods or services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

KKkitty wrote: »
    No sure where would I go for all the self deprecating status updates then?

All i see is self-appreciating posts that are masked are self-deprecatory remarks, obviously looking for likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

I'd love to see it happen, even just for one month. The creepers out there would go batshít crazy without there daily dose of young 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FreeasmyHair

I could. I only go on to see the funny pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

All i see is self-appreciating posts that are masked are self-deprecatory remarks, obviously looking for likes

Awh, you ok hun? Chat me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never mind shutting facebook down for a month, thats no good as theirs plenty of alternatives that would strive in its place.

What you want to do is shut the internet down for a month. FB may be addictive but the root problem is the internet. Shut that down and you take away the almighty drug.

People may experience life as a side effect of internet withdrawal. Not responsible for self harm or any aftermath that may take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

efb wrote: »
    Hey cloud, close boards! What would the nerds in Ireland do then! :pac:
    We've had a day or two of downtime before in the past. Some planned, others not. The community was a lot smaller then, still there was an outcry without it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No, I couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I use it very sparingly, wouldn't care if it died tomorrow, it is not a good thing either way I blocked all my family on it as I don't want to know what they had for dinner or what ever. It really is to invasive for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

what is it with people who have a hatred for face book complaining about its existance?
    if dont like it,dont use it,however no one has a right to affect the day to day life of another person,if its what they like doing then fair play to them.

am only on it because its the most acessible form of communication to contact family and support staff,not having facebook for a month woud actualy take away the basic independance of being able to communicate with people by self,rather than having to have someone else do it when voice is needed.

am also webmaster of an up and coming social network just for people with LD so facebook do not have a monopoly on the social network front,its a very wide area,they are just the most well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If you shut down Facebook then the ejiets that have one brain cell ( you know the type with their constant stupid updates ) will actually step out of their homes.
    This will increase the amount of traffic accidents, house fires and every type of dangerous scenario that stupid people are capable of creating. Basically the world we know it will be a much more dangerous place. So keep Facebook running for the sake of us normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I closed mine a few months ago, i dont miss it at all.

Advertisement