Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm spell from Sunday 5th May ?.

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Keeping an eye on GFS output over the past week I've noticed a tendency to introduce high pressure from the south onto the scene for Ireland from Sat 4th/Sun 5th May, starting off warm but with the potential for very warm weather as the high moves to the North East of Ireland and drags warm air in from the continent during the following days. Very, very early days, but anyone else have any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

about time, are we jumping straight from winter please to summer this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

about time, are we jumping straight from winter please to summer this year!

Last week was very pleasant, not much of a spring transition this year though as the farmers will tell you.

Promising for +240hrs......

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lemon meringue

I reckon it's too early. We will be back into the Atlantic muck by the end of may and then that's it another summer over.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I have been looking at Accuweather the last few weeks for May 15th as im getting married that day.It looks promising for that week according to that site but i assume as we get nearer it will revert to normal conditions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Great to see some heat on the horizon but Jesus this place is dead if it was snow on the horizon this place would be mental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

I have lots of things planned for next week,this is perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

What a glorious spring morning. :) Still looks like an improving picture from next Saturday afternoon, temperature wise. A low from the south-west looks like it might spoil things for a day or two mid next week, but that's off in la-la land at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Well,,,M.T.Cranium has this predicted..

"SUNDAY-MONDAY ... This holiday weekend weather is somewhat uncertain with a weak clearing trend fighting against lingering Atlantic frontal influences, and at this stage we will compromise by saying cloudy with a few sunny intervals and near normal temperatures (highs 12-15 C) and chance of a few showers more frequent near west and north coasts.

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... The following week looks rather warm and a bit above average in temperatures for early May, highs 15-17 C and possibly a bit higher in a southeasterly flow (18-20 C by about the 7th of May)."

So,,fingers crossed.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

jesus, i dont think i was ever more hooked on a thread. i really need this to come through. could you imagine walking around in a tee shirt and shorts? and the sweat pumping out of you? oooh i need to go lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'd settle for anything in the low teens right now. I generally prefer cold to hot but this interminably long winter has been just horrible; no growth, skinny cows everywhere, its just depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

it's pretty weird but the met.ie forecast has reversed in the last two hours; first they were saying '...warm front, dry and settled...', now its '...probability of rain in many areas...' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

it's pretty weird but the met.ie forecast has reversed in the last two hours; first they were saying '...warm front, dry and settled...', now its '...probability of rain in many areas...' :confused:

I listened to the radio forecast at 5 to 8am this morning and he said there would be very small amounts of light rain tonight in the North and West clearing later, now at 5 to 1pm today its like you say totally reversed to heavy rain spreading down across the Country tonight and tomorrow and not looking great for the weekend. What the hell happened in a few hours :mad:

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I listened to the radio forecast at 5 to 8am this morning and he said there would be very small amounts of light rain tonight in the North and West clearing later, now at 5 to 1pm today its like you say totally reversed to heavy rain spreading down across the Country tonight and tomorrow and not looking great for the weekend. What the hell happened in a few hours :mad:

Have not seen or heard the Met Eireann forecasts, but GFS charts have been showing rain for Friday for the last couple of days. Not sure where they are getting the "not looking great for the weekend" from because Sat/Sun/Mon look fine and I would not be a hugely surprised to see 20 degrees reached somewhere in the midlands on Sunday or Monday. From Tuesday on a pesky little low appears to sit off the south-west, feeding in more showery conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very near the weekend at this stage and Met Eireann still very uncertain....
    A 2203 update Very uncertain for the next few days with the boundary between cool air in the north and much milder air in the south close to or over Ireland.

Friday night will probably be cloudy and mild for most of the country with some further rain. In the north it is likely to be much cooler though with the chance of some frost.

The forecast for Saturday remains uncertain. Latest indications suggest that it will be a relatively mild day with afternoon temperatures in the mid teens for much of the country with some sunshine and a few showers, however there is a chance that much cooler and brighter weather will spread across the country.

The milder air will probably spread to most parts on Sunday and Monday with a good deal of dry weather and some sunshine, though Atlantic coastal regions are likely to stay cloudy with patchy rain or drizzle.

At the moment it looks like unsettled weather will develop on Tuesday and Wednesday with rain in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Don't know about warm, but its bloody windy. Very strong winds here in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Same here very strong winds temp 12 did not expect the wind to be this strong today, Currach racing festival at Salthill cancelled due to strong winds and feels cold

snaps wrote: »
    Don't know about warm, but its bloody windy. Very strong winds here in mayo.
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Same here very strong winds temp 12 did not expect the wind to be this strong today, Currach racing festival at Salthill cancelled due to strong winds and feels cold

Yea, the west and north-west not doing very well at all today. Breezy here in the south-east but quite warm. A real "T-shirt" day. :) Not sure how accurate the external temp gauge is in my car, but it was showing 18 degrees on a short 5 km trip about 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The best thing to say about this pattern is, looks promising longer-term with so much strong high pressure developing in the central Atlantic. Maybe this is a good signal for the summer of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The best thing to say about this pattern is, looks promising longer-term with so much strong high pressure developing in the central Atlantic. Maybe this is a good signal for the summer of 2013.

well its horrific here this morning in mayo chucking it down with rain, windy, dull. Most unpleasent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

snaps wrote: »
    well its horrific here this morning in mayo chucking it down with rain, windy, dull. Most unpleasent.

Im sitting In a tent in sligo and its bloody awful outside lol - wind and rain and not warm :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

It's rather nice here in Drogheda this morning. Sunny sky with nice fluffy white clouds, slightly breezy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I ate my breakfast on the back step in glorious sun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Peachy here in dublin ( sunny and warmish )

Ps - feels so strange typing sunny!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feels almost summery here this morning. 14.1c atm, sunny spells and a gentle breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes the weather seem to be improving day by day,it can be quite warm even hot in the direct sunlight if your out of the wind:)
    hey micke65 try a plate or a bowl much easier to eat the breakfast on than a step :P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Fingers crossed that the predictions for a good summer are true. Weather today seems to be giving some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Petrol_Head

positron wrote: »
    It's rather nice here in Drogheda this morning. Sunny sky with nice fluffy white clouds, slightly breezy.

+1 , beautiful here in Laytown. 15c with light onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

spoke too soon... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

18.5 C with very light winds. Feels like summer :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its so nice to hear the rest of the country is having such wonderful weather :)

Advertisement