Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm spell from Sunday 5th May ?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Wow! Summer flew by this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The highest temperature recorded all weekend where I was in Donegal was 12C and we had 3 days of constant misty rain, in fact yesterday was the first day since last October that I experienced a temperature of 15C.

Back in Galway and its 8C with strong wind and driving rain, still winter round these parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Harps wrote: »
    The highest temperature recorded all weekend where I was in Donegal was 12C and we had 3 days of constant misty rain, in fact yesterday was the first day since last October that I experienced a temperature of 15C.

Back in Galway and its 8C with strong wind and driving rain, still winter round these parts!

Didn't some part of Donegal record 20C yesterday?

Nearly sure Evelyn mentioned that last night. Big difference in one county if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

jprboy wrote: »

Nearly sure Evelyn mentioned that last night. Big difference in one county if that's the case.

Really? Didn't hear that mentioned.

I nearly spat out my tea this morning when I heard your wan on the 7:55am forecast on Radio 1 informing me that the temperatures that were due for the days ahead were "normal for May"!

Maybe in Dublin they are normal for May, up there in Glasnevin, but at the moment the west coast of the country is definitely running about 3 to 4C below Normal.

The winter that we've just after having from February through April also has the appearance of being one of the coldest for a while. Certainly, this April was probably the coldest in 10 years or so in many parts of the country.

Look, in Summary. The last 6 years, starting since 2007 is the beginning of a major change in weather conditions in Ireland. Progressively getting colder and not warmer.
    We've got something going on that is not yet explained but definitely the statistics are showing, what with 3 record Winters out of the last 5 that this is something that is not regular and needs to be accounted for.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Yep.

Six consecutive poor/bad summers (2007 - 2012) and three of the last four winters with near record cold in parts.

Certainly a change from the many great summers and mild winters for nearly 20 years from about 1988 to 2006.

By the late 1990s they were saying that here on the east coast we'd have a climate like Bordeaux by 2030! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Finner reached 19.9c on Tuesday (and Malin Head 18.5c).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Finner reached 19.9c on Tuesday (and Malin Head 18.5c).

Thanks, Doc.

It was Finner that Evelyn was referring to on Tues night so.

All over now, anyhow. MT's latest forecast up to and incl Wed May 15 is just :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lemon meringue

We were supposed to be getting high pressure from 10 to 13th may then that disappeared. Maybe the crap weather forecast up to the 15 th just might disappear in the same fashion. But it won't of course it bloody won't . It is the most depressing weather outlook since last summer.
    At least the cold spring had sunshine. This Atlantic dreary gloomy cold wet chilly dross would just get ya down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bulldozer1

this weather would give you the ****s!
    going to lanzarote on sunday. might stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Quickelles wrote: »
    Yep.

Six consecutive poor/bad summers (2007 - 2012) and three of the last four winters with near record cold in parts.

Certainly a change from the many great summers and mild winters for nearly 20 years from about 1988 to 2006.

By the late 1990s they were saying that here on the east coast we'd have a climate like Bordeaux by 2030! :rolleyes:

From 1988 to 2006 we only had one great summer and that was 1995.
    We had a good spell in 2006 and a shorter spell in 2003
    We had a couple of weeks here and a couple of weeks there in other summers but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

GTF has us pretty much under rain right up until +384.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

GTF

Is that a Freudian slip/mis-type? Do you mean GFS, or do you actually mean (it can) GTF! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Meanwhile aaroadwatch tweeted this earlier
    @aaroadwatch: Snow update: Earlier light snow on M2 at Sandyknowes in Antrim started to thaw. PSNI advising continued care. !!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard that! Ireland! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Is that a Freudian slip/mis-type? Do you mean GFS, or do you actually mean (it can) GTF! :D

Yes, GFS :D GTF was an old forum I used to post on and is surprisingly similar to type!

JM Skipton wrote: »
    We had a couple of weeks here and a couple of weeks there in other summers but nothing out of the ordinary.

Nothing like 1995 but nearly all months of all the summers of those years had above the long term average temperatures; the opposite has occurred since 2006.

1995 was not a typical Irish summer - it was the best ever recorded!

My comparison is with Irish averages; not the south of Spain. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We were supposed to be getting high pressure from 10 to 13th may then that disappeared. Maybe the crap weather forecast up to the 15 th just might disappear in the same fashion. But it won't of course it bloody won't . It is the most depressing weather outlook since last summer.
    At least the cold spring had sunshine. This Atlantic dreary gloomy cold wet chilly dross would just get ya down.
    you sound like me moaning about our climate but you're right, the Irish climate would drive you mad - a few good days and then back to this dreary gloomy cold wet chilly dross :D
    Spring in Ireland is a case of one step forward and two steps back, there's no beginning or end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lemon meringue

Nothing like 1995 but nearly all months of all the summers of those years had above the long term average temperatures; the opposite has occurred since 2006.

This is true without doubt and from the first hand experience of having lived through 33 summers there were many many cloudy and rainydays during those summers. Prior to the washout of 2007 though temps easily managed to get over 15- 16 deg the grass always grew, the heating was always turned off, Ice cream used to sell, cider sales used to spike. A feature of recent summers has been the struggle to break the 12-14 degree barrier particularly in may/June. Another feature has been the endless locked in patterns.
    There is no doubt in my mind that summers of old used to have have periods of wet weather followed by periods of fine settled weather there was never this locked in pattern bull**** for weeks on end. Things used to change the weather always broke, the lows used to push on fast, the highs used to come in occasionally . There was always that fine settled weather just around the corner that seems to have vanished now.

Ah but that's not what you said in your original post;), also people seem to forget about summers like 1997 and 2002 which were as bad as anything we have had in recent years.By the way I am in full agreement that every summer since 2006 has been shocking its just that sometimes we seem to think summers were far better in the past as we only remember the good days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

good long summers in Ireland (like 1976 and 1995) are as rare as .......good long summers in Ireland :o
    To my knowledge there wasn't a good summer between 1959 and 1975.
    By the way, sorry for nit-picking but I think you're confusing 1988 with 1989.

• Advertisement

good long summers in Ireland (like 1976 and 1995) are as rare as .......good long summers in Ireland :o
    To my knowledge there wasn't a good summer between 1959 and 1975.
    By the way, sorry for nit-picking but I think you're confusing 1988 with 1989.

Your grand nit pick away...I too get agitated when people get dates wrong:D
    I was just re quoting the dates mentioned by the previous poster

Ah but that's not what you said in your original post;), also people seem to forget about summers like 1997 and 2002 which were as bad as anything we have had in recent years.By the way I am in full agreement that every summer since 2006 has been shocking its just that sometimes we seem to think summers were far better in the past as we only remember the good days

Fair enough...but I'm not depending entirely on memory...I've been keeping daily records since 1973! (Don't ask ;) )

Fair enough...but I'm not depending entirely on memory...I've been keeping daily records since 1973! (Don't ask ;) )

I hear ya.....bit of a rain man myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah it reached 17C where I was last Tuesday which is the only day since last October I've seen a temp above 15C, the weekend from Friday-Monday never got above 12C

Strong NW'erlies for the week ahead will make sure there's no danger of any heat before the last week of the month anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Hard to believe these "summers" but here is a photo from a golf outing we had in Blainroe, Co. Wicklow in summer of 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Harps wrote: »
    Strong NW'erlies for the week ahead will make sure there's no danger of any heat before the last week of the month anyway

To be honest, I would not be so sure of anything beyond the weekend. GFS not great this morning, but it has been showing a tendency to again try to introduce milder/warmer air for friday/saturday. Looks like there could be a pattern change ahead that will finally get us out of this showery, cool, NW'erly flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hailstones in Donegal this morning.

And I don't live up a mountain btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Out in the car during a shower in Galway a while ago and the temp dropped from 9 degrees to 6 degrees and its bloody freezing here in a strong North West wind, Summer my ass :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Aerohead wrote: »
    Out in the car during a shower in Galway a while ago and the temp dropped from 9 degrees to 6 degrees and its bloody freezing here in a strong North West wind, Summer my ass :mad:

Summer doesn't begin until 1st June in the UK and Europe so it sure as hell doesn't begin in Ireland until at least then. Indeed, many would say that summer begins on 21st June. So all hope isn't lost just yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It looks like we can be hopeful for next weekend/early next week but don't come after me if it fails to matieralise.

Advertisement