Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm spell from Sunday 5th May ?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lemon meringue

Without a shadow of a doubt it will fail to materialise as it always inevitably does.
    If I am wrong and at the very least it goes one day without rain then please do come back to me on this thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bitterly cold, miserable day out, there are nice sunny breaks but dont last long, we've already had wintry showers here with a mixture of rain, hail and perhaps sleet, driving rain and hail in gusty winds, a day that would not look or feel out of place mid January. Temperatures around mid single digits to high single digits... disgraceful for mid May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

2.40pm on the 13th May; hail showers; current temperature 6.2C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Quickelles wrote: »
    2.40pm on the 13th May; hail showers; current temperature 6.2C.

It was 4C in Lucan during a hail shower at c.1:40pm, according to the car. Last time I had looked at the temp before Lucan it was 10C, I watched it going through the last 2.5C of the drop in about 10 seconds:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    bitterly cold, miserable day out, there are nice sunny breaks but dont last long, we've already had wintry showers here with a mixture of rain, hail and perhaps sleet, driving rain and hail in gusty winds, a day that would not look or feel out of place mid January. Temperatures around mid single digits to high single digits... disgraceful for mid May
    I'm not surprised, there isn't much difference between winter, spring, summer and autumn in our climate only the amount of daylight.
    27c in Moscow today, we would have to move somewhere else to get proper seasons.
    when spring arrives we tend to go backwards and it happens every spring :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84336863

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just saw sky news the heavy squally showers and low temperatures continue to the end of the week, wintry at times. Is it me or is each summer progressively getting colder and wetter since 2006? Really fed up with this weather, hopefully we'll something slightly warmer June to September.

Is it me or is each summer progressively getting colder and wetter since 2006? Really fed up with this weather, hopefully we'll something slightly warmer June to September.

Don't hold your breath for a good summer.

On the other hand, the odds of a cold snowy winter seem to be shortening all the time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

just saw sky news the heavy squally showers and low temperatures continue to the end of the week, wintry at times. Is it me or is each summer progressively getting colder and wetter since 2006? Really fed up with this weather, hopefully we'll something slightly warmer June to September.

But this would be like calling winter on the 13th November when we are having mild spell?

Summer has yet to begin.

Yes we are used to awful July and August's of late but it is abnormal and we are over due a warm actual Summer month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Had to dash back to south eastern Poland last week due to a death in the family. The only positive coming here was fine dry hot weather, arrived to 29c, thunderstorms and rain Sunday afternoon and yesterday, today and rest of week sunny and back to mid-high 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I'm not surprised, there isn't much difference between winter, spring, summer and autumn in our climate only the amount of daylight.
    27c in Moscow today, we would have to move somewhere else to get proper seasons.
    when spring arrives we tend to go backwards and it happens every spring :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84336863

It doesn't happen every spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The outlook that MT gives for the weekend is pretty dismal, is it ever going to warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mike65 wrote: »
    It looks like we can be hopeful for next weekend/early next week but don't come after me if it fails to matieralise.

24hrs on and this is actually looking good. Timings and details never going to be exact at almost a week out, but it seems that after a pretty rough saturday night/sunday morning due to a low crossing NE TO SW over the country, its an improving picture from there on.

3am Sunday Morning (Wet and Windy)

airpressure.png

ukprec.png

Monday Afternoon (Hope I have not jinxed it)

airpressure.png

ukmaxtemp.png

Anyway, whatever about details, next week is going to be an improvement over this cool, showery flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    It doesn't happen every spring.
    no, it doesn't happen every spring, we got a few warm days at the end of May last year and nothing after that so summer '12 was in spring.
    I'm just trying to point out that extremes of temperature are very rare here.(Dec '10 was extraordinary) - 18 years since a good summer, 7 years since we had a decent heatwave, I didn't see snow for 8 years between '01 and '09. Winter 12-13 was "cold" by Irish standards but saw no extreme low temps, (my pots of geraniums even survived)
    Temperatures currently 7-11c, much the same as winter and certainly not unusual for May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

We had plenty of warm sunny days in July and August last year, aside from the washout June I didn't think it was a particularly bad summer.

As for Spring, we had near record breaking heat in both March and May last year, likewise in April two years ago and April 2010 had some great sunny weather. This year we've had the coldest March on record, a major blizzard and almost recorded the lowest April temp on record. We've had some prolonged dry spells in each of the past 4 Springs as well. Plenty of variation and extremes for a 4 year stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

2gv0qae.jpg
    taken this morning 14/5/13, it's very rare for this to happen on the galtees in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Great photo there blackbird99.

Excellent Stuff.

There was snow on the McGillycuddy Reeks as well down here in Kerry this morning. Probably it's still there.

The weather this "spring"(:() has been atrociously bad. Really.
    It's been very cold.
    The fodder shortages up the country aren't being helped either by this prolonged cold as the grass growth is barely keeping up with cattle feeding needs in some places.

I genuinely don't remember an April and May this cold together for a long time. Sure there have been a few warm days here and there but the MEDIAN temperatures so far this past month and a half are well down from average down here in the South West.

My guess is that we're about 2-3 degrees below average.
    Also, I note that cold temperature records were being broken in April at a few Met Eireann stations from their April weather report.

I am also hoping for a warm start to next week.

This isn't Global Warming (which is just a financial/banking/government scam for increased taxation). It's more like Global Colding.

Since 2006 not having a proper summer is not right at all.

Harps wrote: »
    We had plenty of warm sunny days in July and August last year, aside from the washout June I didn't think it was a particularly bad summer.

!

Plenty of warm sunny days last July and August. Are you serious???.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well I'm just working from memory but from late July to mid/late August I can remember making it to the beach in the evening plenty of times with good sunshine, it wasn't great weather by any stretch but considering the way everyone talks about it and when you compare it to some of the preceding Summers, it wasn't that bad. June & early July were a bit of a disaster but even then we had an amazing 7 days or so at the end of May to make up for it

Reading the ME summaries, Donegal (where I spent the summer) had its warmest August in 15 years, above average sunshine and average rainfall. July was cool and dull but again rainfall around average.

Down in the south east where I was we definitely could not describe anything positive weather wise last July and August. A few thunderstorms maybe???? For people into thunder. But the gloom and rain and dull weather continued unabated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

This says it all.

weather-1_zps061b4116.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Down in the south east where I was we definitely could not describe anything positive weather wise last July and August. A few thunderstorms maybe???? For people into thunder. But the gloom and rain and dull weather continued unabated.
    The only decent weather we had last year was in April and September,the months in between were cack.
    The 3 previous summers 2009-2011 ,were not too bad by recent standards ,fairly dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ah cmon "up for anything" your exageratting there

There was no heatwave today

Plenty of warm sunny days last July and August. Are you serious???.

Both months below the long term average here in Dublin at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Zardoz wrote: »
    The only decent weather we had last year was in April and September,the months in between were cack.
    The 3 previous summers 2009-2011 ,were not too bad by recent standards ,fairly dry .

April? I think you mean the end of May last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Probably thinking of March, there was a summery spell in second half of March of 2012 that was perhaps the finest stretch of the year other than September.

I wasn't there of course but I perceived the summer of 2012 as follows, June very cool and damp to wet, July rather close to average for temperature and a bit on the cloudy side overall, August fine for a while then colder again and frequently stormy then September had a fine spell about when most people said it would happen, after school opened up. There must be some storehouse of warmth in those Irish schools that gets released on opening day.

Don't give up hope about this summer, having all this cold weather for such a long spell now (basically it has been below normal just about every day from the middle of January to now with perhaps three minor interruptions) seems to hint at a more or less inevitable reversal. I suppose that would be September though.

By the way, here's a fun fact, which do you think is larger, Ireland or Lake Superior?

Turns out they are virtually the same size as well as both being far colder than anything around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I really don't like the look of the 12Z ECM. It suggests the type of stubborn mid Atlantic High that has banjxed that past several summers:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

April? I think you mean the end of May last year.

You are correct, to prove it just look at Leinster vs Ospreys in the Pro12 final in Dublin which was played on the last weekend of May last year on youtube beautiful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,925 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The end of March last year was a scorcher coz I remember sunbathing with a damaged toe while the girls struggled to play through the heat on the football pitch. I also remember the girls ditching an I.T. class to go to 40ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Last year end of march ant the end of may were great weather changed on the June bank holiday and has been muck ever since.
    I know Ireland's famous for bad weather but this is something else was hailstone the size of golf balls earlier and it would take your life outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Last year end of march ant the end of may were great weather changed on the June bank holiday and has been muck ever since.
    I know Ireland's famous for bad weather but this is something else was hailstone the size of golf balls earlier and it would take your life outside

Agree and I'm sure we got a big enough hail shower at lunchtime yesterday or Monday in the city centre.

Add that to the snow antrim got a few days ago and I'm not so sure what season we are in anymore!

Advertisement