Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor seeking additional costs for handling purchase

Options
  • 29-04-2013 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

I hope I'm not in the wrong forum, and my intention is not to seek legal advice. Rather I'm wondering if this is acceptable or not, or common.

If I'm out of line or in the wrong place then please accept my apologies and close or move the thread.

I bought a house last year and was quoted a figure by a solicitor for handling the legal aspects. I still have the email from him stating "Further to our conversation I can confirm my quote for the purchase of your house at €1500."

A few weeks ago I received a letter from him stating that there was an issue regarding property registration, and that he needed to obtain some further documentation. This was accompanied by a request for another €100.

Surely this is his problem? His quote was supposed to cover all the aspects of registration etc so why should I foot the bill for another €100 that he either missed out or completed incorrectly?

Secondly, should I be worried that the property hasn't been correctly registered?

I'm just back from holiday so I haven't been in touch with him yet, but I'm just trying to get an idea of whether I should just fork over the cash, or tell him it's not my problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The letter or email most likely contains a part where it states that the amount is not binding and if something comes up that requires more work and additional costs you will be billed for them.

I wouldn't worry too much about the property not being properly registered but if you do have concerns you should call your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The costs associated with property registration increased last December. If you were quoted early in the year but didn't complete the transaction till late in the year there may be simply a communication issue and you do indeed own the amount.

That said, the increase wasn't a 100 euros. I have had professionals attempt to double charge me in the past. Ask for explicit details and quote the dates below.
    From December 1st, there will be a substantial hike in the fees for the registration of a transfer on sale at the Land Registry based at the Property Registration Authority (PRA).
    The fee for the sale of a house between €51,000 and €200,000 will increase by 60 per cent from €375 currently to €600.
    From €200,000 to €255,000 it goes up from €375 to €700, an increase of more than 80 per cent. This is the bracket for most house purchases in Dublin.
    From €255,001 to €385,000, the increase is from €500 to €700 or 40 per cent.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/big-increase-in-cost-of-registering-house-sales-1.546035

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The purchase was commenced in October 2011and ccompleted (took the keys and moved in) in April 2012.

The letter says that there was a mistake in the original paperwork regarding a right of way leave, and that the solicitor needs to get a map from the land registry and have it marked in compliance with registry requirements.

Advertisement