Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abandoned vintage cars?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello, I'm a newbie to these forums so im not shure if I'm allowed to ask this. I hope I can though! Recently I've been selling my old Fiat to make room for another vinage car project. I've pretty much no money at the moment, so I'd like to find a car that costs next to nothing (or nothing!)
    Does anyone know of any old classic cars that have been dumped? I may be interested in finding the car's owner and offering to buy it.
    The condition of the car doesn't matter, going out to look at something is a good time killer for me :) It would have to be located in the Sligo/Letrim/Roscommon area, and would have to be easy to get to without trespassing through a million peoples gardens! :p

If you have anything, tell me about it and please send a pic if you can. Cheers! :)

p.s I'd be more interested in a car that you own... going around looking at unknown people's cars could get me into trouble!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Are you mad?
    Abandoned vintage cars are worth at least 165 a ton or as many a done deal add says if it's "rare" a multiple of at least 10 of that. Good luck with you're search.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hello, I'm a newbie to these forums so im not shure if I'm allowed to ask this. I hope I can though! Recently I've been selling my old Fiat to make room for another vinage car project. I've pretty much no money at the moment, so I'd like to find a car that costs next to nothing (or nothing!)
    Does anyone know of any old classic cars that have been dumped? I may be interested in finding the car's owner and offering to buy it.
    The condition of the car doesn't matter, going out to look at something is a good time killer for me :) It would have to be located in the Sligo/Letrim/Roscommon area, and would have to be easy to get to without trespassing through a million peoples gardens! :p

If you have anything, tell me about it and please send a pic if you can. Cheers! :)

p.s I'd be more interested in a car that you own... going around looking at unknown people's cars could get me into trouble!

Don't they dig great big holes and bump them in up there?

You'll need a metal detector, a shovel, and a good lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Just keep checking Done Deal /Adverts.ie / Gumtree and something might pop up , or take up cycling on a weekend - new back roads each weekend and you will find something :rolleyes:

There's a lot of rotted stuff out there so unless you're good at metalwork / welding it'll be money down the drain to get it fixed:rolleyes:

Rekords in Kerry http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407412

Corollas in Mayo http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4953929

R4 in Tipp http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4953177

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I sent a load of **** to the crusher last month. Weight is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I sent a load of **** to the crusher last month. Weight is money.

What's steel / alloy worth per tonne ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It's still relatively common enough to see something rotting in a field, not exactly vintage, more like 80s or 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ShootingStar Productions

Capri wrote: »
    Just keep checking Done Deal /Adverts.ie / Gumtree and something might pop up , or take up cycling on a weekend - new back roads each weekend and you will find something :rolleyes:

There's a lot of rotted stuff out there so unless you're good at metalwork / welding it'll be money down the drain to get it fixed:rolleyes:

Rekords in Kerry http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407412

Corollas in Mayo http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4953929

R4 in Tipp http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4953177

Cheers for the advice, I got a Reliant Scimitar se5a for 170e off donedeal. :) I'll keep looking, think I might have something ;)

It's still relatively common enough to see something rotting in a field, not exactly vintage, more like 80s or 90s.

I know what you mean, there's plenty of that stuff around here. I'm looking of a pre 80's car that's nct exempt so I don't have to do a full restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I know what you mean, there's plenty of that stuff around here. I'm looking of a pre 80's car that's nct exempt so I don't have to do a full restoration.

Meaning what exactly, so you can drive around in a dangerous wreck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

That's why I believe that the NCT exemption should be done away with for all vintage cars. Anything prior to '83 I think is exempt from emissions anyway. Brakes, suspension, steering and structure should be tested on ALL cars....

• Advertisement

Well, if it was galvanised (Hillman Avengers and mid '80s Carinas were rust free from my memory, while, say, Fiat 131s became rotten quickly), he mightn't have do much welding (or get someone to do it). Most of the work might be more along the lines of re-commissioning. My 16/60 was MOT'd before it was imported here. An NCT wouldn't be too much bother, as they make allowances for how cars were at that time.

Not a dangerous wreck, I wouldn't drive a car that's not safe! :)

Well, if it was galvanised (Hillman Avengers and mid '80s Carinas were rust free from my memory, while, say, Fiat 131s became rotten quickly), he mightn't have do much welding (or get someone to do it). Most of the work might be more along the lines of re-commissioning. My 16/60 was MOT'd before it was imported here. An NCT wouldn't be too much bother, as they make allowances for how cars were at that time.

Luckily, my Reliant is fibreglass and the
    chassis is in reasonable condtition. :)

Luckily, my Reliant is fibreglass and the
    chassis is in reasonable condtition. :)

TVR also did fibreglass bodied cars, Ferrari even did some (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C376530). Fibreglass isn't immune to decay, but less worrying than poor quality steel. I again think that looking out for cars or vans parked up on farms and just asking, might yield something. Capri's examples of crummy wrecks might be representative.

Capri wrote: »
    What's steel / alloy worth per tonne ?

About 180e at the moment? I'm not entirely shure, I don't have any connections to the scrap metal buisness :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I knew a farmer guy a few decades who used a car as the septic tank.
    He wasn't happy to pay the €5 for the septic tank he got the old car for free

Yeah its problem cars are worth 150 in metal recycling ball park

I collected over the summer time about 7 car batteries from the housing estate saw them as people dumped them in the local fly tip at the end of housing estate. I grabbed them and made a handy ~€70 at the end of the summer for about a few minutes work

It used to be that 1990 to 1995 cars people in gum tree would give them away but once thy were worth €150 in metal scrap that seemed to stop
    Good luck there are OK cars out rusting away there but mostly in farm yards forgotten about .Try the local farm yards in Sligo put up notice in shops and cattle markets
    Best ones are the jap cars they go for easy 200,000 miles or more some diesels go more than 6,000,000 miles

Derry

Advertisement