Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub with trad music.

Options
  • 29-04-2013 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I have some guests over who want to take their four young kids to see some traditional Irish music in a traditional Irish pub.

Johnnie Foxes is the first name to come to mind, is there anywhere else I'm south Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I have some guests over who want to take their four young kids to see some traditional Irish music in a traditional Irish pub.

Johnnie Foxes is the first name to come to mind, is there anywhere else I'm south Dublin?

Merry plough boy halfway up the mountains in rathfarnham?
    Always a good place for a trad session.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Check out dublinsessions.ie, sounds exactly like what your looking for. In particular Devitts on Camden St. do great trad sessions.

Also Gub Dandy's in Terenure do it on Saturday nights, maybe others as well but you'd have to ring them to confirm? It has been going for years and is highly regarded but doesn't seem to be mentioned on that website for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Check out dublinsessions.ie, sounds exactly like what your looking for. In particular Devitts on Camden St. do great trad sessions.

Also Gub Dandy's in Terenure do it on Saturday nights, maybe others as well but you'd have to ring them to confirm? It has been going for years and is highly regarded but doesn't seem to be mentioned on that website for some reason?

If you want pure traditional I would suggest the Cobblestone in Smithfield. I know its in town but the sessions are regular and predictable. There is a nice old time Saturday afternoon session about 4 running into a more trad session Saturday evening and a nice trad session on Sunday 7 to 9..

if you want more of a ballad type session then they are more common than pure trad. Check out local pubs or most of the Temple bar type pubs in town..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Fred the Punchbowl used to do one on a Tuesday night but haven't been there in a while so not sure if it's still going, give Joe or Carl a ring there and they'll fill you in

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just down the road from you. Tea, coffee and a scone!

http://comhaltas.ie/events/detail/friday_night_ceili_at_the_culturlann/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

The Pier in Dun Laoghaire on the main street (formerly Weirs) does trad music, not sure what night but sure give them a call or drop in.
    Wouldn't imagine it as being very busy though so you're better off heading into town. McNeills on Capel Street have a great session on Saturday nights upstairs.

Advertisement