Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post PostFX™ prepaid MasterCard® currency card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I'd like to find out the answer to this also because I'm going to be travelling to Boston in two weeks and head over quite frequently. This will be the first time I use the card. It's all a bit sketchy when you think about it :/ I hope ALL shops accept it because ill be putting most of my finds on it!

Prepaid No Name Cards are very common in the US, in fact you can buy them in most shops without even needing to show ID (unless you go over I believe 1000$) so they are used to it.

You should not have a problem unless the stores policy is to require ID for certain purchase (like Alcohol or High Value Good) which matches the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd like to find out the answer to this also because I'm going to be travelling to Boston in two weeks and head over quite frequently. This will be the first time I use the card. It's all a bit sketchy when you think about it :/ I hope ALL shops accept it because ill be putting most of my finds on it!
    Worse case scenario, you can still use it as an ATM card, so while it would be annoying, it wouldn't be the end of the world if a couple of shops didn't accept it.

I am also heading to the States in a couple of weeks. I normally take about a quarter of my money in cash and leave the rest in my bank account and take it out of an ATM as and when I need it. However, BOI are now charging 3.75% of the amount withdrawn from an ATM and 1.75% of the value of the transaction in shops and restaurants. Seems a no brainer really to get one of these cards?

I was thinking of taking a couple of hundred cash and then putting the rest on one of these cards. If I have money left over, I am reading it that you can withdraw it for free when you get home?

Also, if I get two cards, I presume they are independant of each other, in that I can use away at one and my husband could use away at another?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Oh, I've another question, when you go in to pick up the card, do you bring your cash in your paw with you? And can you top it up using a Visa Debit card?

ncmc wrote: »
    Also, if I get two cards, I presume they are independant of each other, in that I can use away at one and my husband could use away at another?

The second card you get free is not for usage while the first card is active. The purpose of the card is that in case you loose the first one (or it gets stolen or compromised) you have a second card handy that can access the funds you had left on the primary card.
    ncmc wrote: »
    Oh, I've another question, when you go in to pick up the card, do you bring your cash in your paw with you? And can you top it up using a Visa Debit card?

I used my Visa Debit Card to load mine recently, I understand both cash and debit cards (but not credit cards) are allowed by AnPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

The second card you get free is not for usage while the first card is active. The purpose of the card is that in case you loose the first one (or it gets stolen or compromised) you have a second card handy that can access the funds you had left on the primary card.

So if one card is stolen must you ring the hotline number to deactivate the first card and activate the second or what must you do.

Also when you first get the card from the Post office must you register online or is it ready to go.

• Advertisement

So if one card is stolen must you ring the hotline number to deactivate the first card and activate the second or what must you do.

Also when you first get the card from the Post office must you register online or is it ready to go.

Well my understanding is that the additional card is a backup in the event that the card is lost, damaged or stolen. In the T&C this is also called out.

When you register the primary card for online management you will notice that in the management interface both card numbers are shown to you and that both cards share the same balance.

You than have the ability to suspend or report lost/stolen each card individually, so in case of emergency you report card 1 lost and have card 2 to access the funds.

Now could you in theory use both cards at the same time if both are marked as active? I guess you could, the question is if R. Raphael bank is going to notice it and block the card because it's not used in line with the T&C or they suspect fraud is something I don't know.

As to can you use the card before it's registered, sorry don't know that as I registered my cards immediately before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Folks,

Did anyone have any issues registering their card online..?

Basically I got as far as a security question asking me what kind of ID I used to buy the card. I've no idea what the cashier put down but neither drivers license nor utility bill works (which is what I used to buy).

Eventually locked myself out, it tells u to call card services but when u do, there is no option relating to account management.

Any thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

GavMan wrote: »
    Folks,

Did anyone have any issues registering their card online..?

Basically I got as far as a security question asking me what kind of ID I used to buy the card. I've no idea what the cashier put down but neither drivers license nor utility bill works (which is what I used to buy).

Eventually locked myself out, it tells u to call card services but when u do, there is no option relating to account management.

Any thoughts???

I locked mine out as, of the security questions answer is driving license then they said that sometimes causes issues when registering.

If you ring the number on the back of the card, when you get put through to the menu where you pick what you need, press 7, 8 or 9, and that will get you put through to a service agent, you might be on hold for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

McP2011 wrote: »
    I locked mine out as, of the security questions answer is driving license then they said that sometimes causes issues when registering.

If you ring the number on the back of the card, when you get put through to the menu where you pick what you need, press 7, 8 or 9, and that will get you put through to a service agent, you might be on hold for a while though.

Thanks man.

Got it sorted by basically doing what you did and taking a punt on the options. Seems a stupid system.

How do you know what the person behind the counter puts down as ID? What they exactly put in like...

Anyway, its sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whisper6

paddyp wrote: »
    "Merchant transactions and ATM withdrawals in a currency other than the currency of the Card will be exchanged to the currency on the Card at an exchange rate determined by MasterCard® on the day the transaction is processed, increased by 5.75%."

Has anyone used the An Post US dollar card outside of the US? Travelling to South East Asia soon (Vietnam/ Cambodia) and we need US dollars to pay for a lot of our hotels/ tours, etc.

Don't want to carry large amounts of US $ in cash, so these cards would be a great solution. Would love to hear from anyone who knows whether they will work in Vietnam or Cambodia? If so, if the price is in US $, then I presume you don't have to pay the extra 5.75% fee referred to above?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Not sure does this help but my o2 money card wasn't accepeted in few places because of no name on it in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 7 substanceg

Hi folks,

thinking of getting one of these. A

Am I correct in saying that you have to put 130 euro minimum on it for the first transaction?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

I used this in a shop in the states and is asked for the pin number. Just make sure that you have the pin number with you, it is in the envelope.

I was never asked for a pin with my visa and mastercard ever in the states and I did not think that I would ever need a pin in the states.

dingding wrote: »
    I used this in a shop in the states and is asked for the pin number. Just make sure that you have the pin number with you, it is in the envelope.

I was never asked for a pin with my visa and mastercard ever in the states and I did not think that I would ever need a pin in the states.

Did the retailer have a CHIP machine and used your CHIP or did it come up as PIN when they swiped the magnetic strip?

Some retailers have started with CHIP/PIN machines, if it's with the magnetic strip than they read the card as a Debit Card for which they require a PIN. Sometimes you could see a display saying "debit/credit" where for credit its with signature and for debit it's PIN. It depends how the machine is configured.

substanceg wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that you have to put 130 euro minimum on it for the first transaction?

The minimum at first load is $130 or £85.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Marylouise10

First time poster to this forum so hope this is right!

Traveling to the states in a few weeks (thanks to a flight deal I saw on bargain alerts!) and as you probably know the Post office seem to give the best overall value in dollars. But they are offering a new service which gives you a Dollar or Sterling prepaid mastercard. No fees to use it at point of sale and a $2.50/£1.50 charge for withdrawing from ATM. No comission!!!The card is free, free to reload and any money left over you can get back in Euro at a pretty favourable rate! You can also get a second card linked to the same "account" for free as a back up in case you are robbed.

Seems to me to be the best deal to bring dollars/euro's over on holidays but feel free to let me know if I am missing something, seems a bit too good!?

Do NOT get this card it is a complete scam! If anything at all goes wrong there is nobody to contact. Fake email and fake number with nobody to talk to on the other line. They blocked my card and I've no way in contacting them. Do not get this card!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Do NOT get this card it is a complete scam! If anything at all goes wrong there is nobody to contact. Fake email and fake number with nobody to talk to on the other line. They blocked my card and I've no way in contacting them. Do not get this card!

you ringing this number?

Country Phone number
    Ireland 1800 535 564
    USA 011 44 207 649 9404
    UK 0207 649 9404

If you are in the US than dial 1 877 465 0085 (which is toll free) and they will help you, it's the Global Assistance Number for cashpassport.

If you are in the US than dial 1 877 465 0085 (which is toll free) and they will help you, it's the Global Assistance Number for cashpassport.

Yes I phoned that number and they have you on the phone for 10 minutes while they talk complete garbage and they don't give an option for discussing how to unblock the card. It's like an advice line. No humans on the end of the phone, just a long string of pre recorded voices that waste your time and money.

Call them on +441733318982 and log a form complaint.

Call them on +441733318982 and log a form complaint.

Thanks, I will do that. Is that number on the website??

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will do that. Is that number on the website??

Its buried in the complaints procedure which you can download as pdf here .

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

I remember I had to call them to get access to my online account for my card. My password wasn't working or something like that.

Anyway, the trick to get a person, instead of a recorded message, was to select the option that you've lost your card. It seemed to be the only way to actually get onto a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Does anyone know if you can change the pin on you're card??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Anyone know of any other cards similar to this? The an post sterling rate has got very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Sterling's value has increased by about 20% over the last few months from where it was at the turn of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Paddypowered

Just got one of these cards as I'm heading to the states later on in the year. Is it possible to top it up online or through the bank of ireland app as it's not easy for me to get to a post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just got one of these cards as I'm heading to the states later on in the year. Is it possible to top it up online or through the bank of ireland app as it's not easy for me to get to a post office.

No as you need to show ID to top it up.

• Advertisement

Also when topping it up at the Post Office you need the PIN of the card you are presenting next to ID.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement