Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post PostFX™ prepaid MasterCard® currency card

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I wouldn't use it, it will eat into your funds for the duration of your stay.

Use a credit card if you have it, that will put a hold of the deposit amount on the credit card and will be released when you check-out.

This PostFX card is effectively a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

For online top up, does it go on instantly?

I imagine this will be handy when I'm in Vegas in December being able to top-up on the go or each day without having to guess who much I will spend over the course of a week.
    I top-up online while in states think if I remember correctly was on almost straight away was very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smcgr09

Hi,
    I have a trip planned in Australia in October of this year. I was wondering has anybody used the post office cards in Australia? Or come across any trouble trying to use the? Im travelling the East coast over a few weeks and dont want to be carrying large amounts of cash on me.

Any help in very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

hi

I HAVE CHINESE FRIENDS TRAVELLIGN TO LONDON AND THEY PLAN ON BRINGING ALL THERE MONEY AS CASH !!

I have a question - I did look and will ask in the post office - but seeing as you need id etc. I it possible to take out 2 of these cards - i.e. one for me to use , one they can give me money to put on for them to use

I mean two separate - not two sharing the same funds

Thanks for any help

Do them a favour:

Ask them to sign up to Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I tried to find the revolut thread but with no luck

search on boards seems a bit of a nightmare lately

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

hi

I HAVE CHINESE FRIENDS TRAVELLIGN TO LONDON AND THEY PLAN ON BRINGING ALL THERE MONEY AS CASH !!

I have a question - I did look and will ask in the post office - but seeing as you need id etc. I it possible to take out 2 of these cards - i.e. one for me to use , one they can give me money to put on for them to use

I mean two separate - not two sharing the same funds

Thanks for any help

You are actually given two cards. It's really supposed to be a backup but I suppose you could probably use the two. I could be wrong though, I got one a few years ago so the system might have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I tried to find the revolut thread but with no luck

search on boards seems a bit of a nightmare lately

Use Google: Type "revolut site:boards.ie"

Result:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mohican22

Can a you withdraw funds from let's say an account online like a Paddypower or Boylesports using this card?
    If you can can the funds then be collected in any Post office does anyone know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mohican22 wrote: »
    Can a you withdraw funds from let's say an account online like a Paddypower or Boylesports using this card?

No

• Advertisement

Has anybody else lost the ability to update their profile online?

It was possible to change personal data online (like a temporary address) but that function is gone from my £ and $ card.

By the looks of it, they have now completely removed the option of using a temporary address from the online interface, my temporary address has disappeared and the test payment with the temporary address has been declined.

That is really bad, it was one of the advantages, that you could have a US billing address for it for example for using at Apple/Hulu etc.. It made up for the bad rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Heading to the states in a couple of weeks, we have gotten the currency card and have gotten the additional card as well. The lady in the post office assured us the main card and second card could be used in conjunction with each other but now I am seeing conflicting reports on this.
    I will be visiting friends in New Jersey for a few nights while my wife will be staying in NY so we were hoping both cards could be used like we were told ..
    Can anyone confirm or deny both cards can be used together...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Perhaps ring this number 1800 535 564 which is a Post FX helpline. They should be able to clarify. I only used the 1 card when I was in Australia and my wife got her own card so we split the money in case we had any issues with one of the cards.

Perhaps ring this number 1800 535 564 which is a Post FX helpline. They should be able to clarify. I only used the 1 card when I was in Australia and my wife got her own card so we split the money in case we had any issues with one of the cards.
    Tried that number but it's all automated and I can't seem to get speaking to a real person ...emailed on post yesterday but haven't heard back as of yet.

Ok so I was passing the GPO there and nipped in for you. I spoke with one of the most senior clerks who was on the counter and he said that the additional card cannot be used in conjunction with the 1st one, he said that the 2nd card is just in case you lose the 1st card. He also told me that he would always advise someone who needed 2 people to have a card (ie) husband/wife etc to get 2 separate accts. That was the information that he gave me so hope that helps although I know it is not the info that you want to hear but that is what I was told

It's been a while since I have used these (ever since they took away the ability to define a temporary address in the US/UK) but both cards are linked to the same funds.

You can register both cards with different user names in their online accounts and they both will work drawing access from the same balance, however as carltonleon states this is so that you can continue access to the funds if you loose your primary card. While it's not mandatory to de-activate the first card when you start using the 2nd card (I did use my 2nd card a couple of times by mistake) it triggered a security alert and my card was blocked until I contacted their "customer service".

Especially if you use the cards at the same time in 2 different states it should trigger something. It might not, but why risk it?

My suggestion is not to chance it giving how horrendous the customer service is and to only use the one card and if you really need 2 to get a second set.

Why you however in light of for example Revolut would use the AnPost variant is a different story.

Also just had a look at their terms and conditions and It says the following ...

"2.3 ..
    At the time of purchase, you may request an Additional Card as a backup in the event that your Card is lost, damaged or stolen. This is for your personal use only. "

Ok so I was passing the GPO there and nipped in for you. I spoke with one of the most senior clerks who was on the counter and he said that the additional card cannot be used in conjunction with the 1st one, he said that the 2nd card is just in case you lose the 1st card. He also told me that he would always advise someone who needed 2 people to have a card (ie) husband/wife etc to get 2 separate accts. That was the information that he gave me so hope that helps although I know it is not the info that you want to hear but that is what I was told
    Thanks so much for that ...will have to get my own card so ..not a big deal , just taught we could use the two from the one account.
    Thanks again.

Get Revolut.

Can setup an account without leaving your house and it's 1,000,000 times more convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

. . .and gives a better rate. There are charges with Revolut if you intend using it primarily at atms. Right now 100 Euro buys 116 dollars via an Post but 120 via Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

As another Revolut user I agree ditch An post cards and go with Revolut. Instant top up better rates and interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭homingbird

can you top up a revoult card with a anpost savings account you can pay your esb gas tv there i just want to know for a person that has only a credit union account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Not sure if this thread is still active but anyway, I got a PostFX card last year for a trip to the states. Heading back again at the end of next month but can't for the life of me find the cards I got last year. (I withdrew the remaining cash in them when got home last year). My question is, can I simply walk into the post office and set up another card as I can't find the ones I received last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Duff wrote: »
    My question is, can I simply walk into the post office and set up another card as I can't find the ones I received last year?
    Yes.
    However, the rate is not the best.
    Revolut is a better option gives $1.166
    whereas AnPost gives $1.132

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dubliner999

Why is this in bargain alerts? Its ****e and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Revolut didn't exist back when the thread was started. these cards offered the best exchange rate back in 2013 so it _was_ a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A lot has happened in 5 years. So many different options now!
    Plenty of info already in the Banking forum and more suited than here.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement