Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Website redesign

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    Just wondering what people thought of the UCC website redesign. Personally I thought the older version was better and the new one looks a bit amateurish for and institution like UCC.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Hadn't seen the new one, preferred the old one, but I wouldn't call it amateurish, doesn't look too bad at all tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

If they made it easier to log into the Student Portal it'd be so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I think it's a huge improvement over the old one. I was on some panel thing where the people doing the redesign were asking a few students opinions on the website and what could be done to change it. We all said that it felt a bit old fashioned and could do with livening up, it's much easier to navigate now I find. The student portal is another thing I can't get onto it on my phone at all, there should be an app or something available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ADirtySock

It's ****e, and I wonder how much they paid a big firm for this when they have an entire computer science department at their disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 angryduck

I have looked at it on my phone and on a pad and it seems like they have gone responsive with the site but in doing so sacrificed the look of the site itself.
    Going responsive is the only way to go with websites these days and I commend them on doing that but the problem is that you get a couple of levels in and it goes back to the old design which doesn't make any sense. Overall I just don't think its slick enough for an big academic institution like UCC.

That being said the overall level of web design for third level sites is Ireland is very poor anyway so the bar isn't very high. As web design professional I find it ironic that a the institutions that are producing our new ICT and Web design graduates represent themselves so badly on the web.Guess that's the public service for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

ADirtySock wrote: »
    It's ****e, and I wonder how much they paid a big firm for this when they have an entire computer science department at their disposal.

They teach and research, they're hands are already full with that stuff. Besides there is a lot more to it than just the technical side. It's like saying a good carpenter could outfit a whole Tesco supermarket. He could but it wouldn't be very good and wouldn't take into account much more than his/her own scope of expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

It was much better before I think. It looked more modern and user friendly before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its easier to get around it but prefer the old design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Ye guys have jinxed it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

What's happened now....

• Advertisement
Advertisement