Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking to your own website in a post

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just looking for some clarification to the following question; are you allowed to link to your own website in a post? I didnt think you were as I have often seen posters get infractions/banned for doing this. However there are times when users have linked to there own site without it being an issue. Is there a reason for this? Is it that people are allowed to link to sites if they dont make any money on them (e.g. they are not linking for profitable reasons)?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi. Just looking for some clarification to the following question; are you allowed to link to your own website in a post? I didnt think you were as I have often seen posters get infractions/banned for doing this. However there are times when users have linked to there own site without it being an issue. Is there a reason for this? Is it that people are allowed to link to sites if they dont make any money on them (e.g. they are not linking for profitable reasons)?

Simple answer: it depends.

Complex answer: it depends on who you are and essentially how long you are around. If you have a 1-post wonder signing up, that is generally classed as spam. If you are a good contributor to the forum, and the charter permits it, and as long as it isn't simply blatant advertising, then it could be permitted in some circumstances.

It is also forum dependent.

An example I always use is the Apple Devices forum - when I was a mod there, I created a thread to actively encourage people to advertise their software. In situations like this, it adds to a forum community.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd also add, even for regular contributors being 'helpful', if a link starts appearing on a semi-regular basis there will be words.

Afaik, linking to a site in your sig is fine, as long as your posts aren't seen as simply a means to get your sig noticed.

Advertisement