Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living for 60 days on Rockall

• 29-04-2013 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

A harmless charity escapade or another attempt to "reclaim" Rockall for Britain? I understand the matter (of sovereignty over Rockall and the sea and sea bed around it) is with the UN at the moment.

A chartered surveyor is set to spend two months inside an eight foot water tank in a desolate island as he tries to raise money for charity.

Nick Hancock is planning to set two endurance records by living on the 100ft island of Rockall and raise money for the Help for Heroes charity.
    During his reconnaissance trip last June, Mr Hancock did unfurl a Union Jack and tweeted on Twitter: 'Happy jubilee Your Majesty' but did, however, lose some equipment during his brief stay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316207/Theres-place-like-home-Explorer-plans-spend-60-days-living-remote-Scottish-islet-8ft-box.html

Comments

It's a rock - it doesn't have a nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

So which country owns any oil and gas near it? Or the rights to put wind turbines out there?..for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So which country owns any oil and gas near it? Or the rights to put wind turbines out there?..for example.

I do, I bought it of a foreign lad a few years ago via Western Union. He sent me the deeds as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

kippy wrote: »
    I do, I bought it of a foreign lad a few years ago via Western Union. He sent me the deeds as well.

So did I.

The UK - any nominal boundary isn't set by uninhabitable islands - it is set by habitable ones.

A map of sorts:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_exclusive_economic_zone.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It will when someone claims both it and all the hydrocarbons within its boundaries!
    It won't be us either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I hope the natural gas burns their ass and blows then all to hell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

According to the Wolfe Tones, we have a serious claim for not only Rockall but seagulls are to peck out the eyes of yon Saxon foe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Well, Iceland, Britain, Denmark and Ireland are currently in a protracted negotiation regarding rights in the area, not that the rock itself is important. Likely to continue for some time in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

ado100 wrote: »
    So did I.

Cheers for that few quid lads, life in St Lucia is pretty good if you're wondering but as far as I know it's still with the Nigerian prince that I bought it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The UK - any nominal boundary isn't set by uninhabitable islands - it is set by habitable ones.

A map of sorts:

Is that universally agreed? Doesn't the UN look on it from a "continental shelf" point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A map of sorts:
    Other articles say they ignore islands altogether and look at the mainland which puts Donegal as the closest point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Its ours. We should deport this fecker if he brings that flag near the place.
    A chartered surveyor is set to spend two months inside an eight foot water tank in a desolate island as he tries to raise money for charity.

Technology decides what's habitable. We're going to send people to live on feckin' Mars. Rockall could be some lads idea of a dream holiday home for all I know.

Is that universally agreed? Doesn't the UN look on it from a "continental shelf" point of view?
    Looking it up Ireland and the UK have formalised it just recently:
    Edit: not sure why this link or the dfa.ie site won't respond quicklyTánaiste signs Agreement on a boundary between the Irish and British ‘Exclusive Economic Zones’
    Agreement to establish new formal boundaries between the two countries’ continental shelves and Exclusive Economic Zones
    Gilmore signs maritime deal between Ireland and UK
    No maps included in any of those articles but i understand they agree with the one above.

Drawing a line out from Rockall didn't set the boundary - it was ignored by both sides essentially. The part of the sea that Rockall falls in is in the British exclusive economic zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its gas how the Daily Mail says the rock is British yet fail to mention the other countries who have competing claims where the issue is now at the UN.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We, The UK, and Denmark have all made submissions , Iceland is also in the running
    https://www.un.org/Depts/los/clcs_new/commission_submissions.htm

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/03/24/00043.asp
    The consistent position of successive Irish Governments has been that Rockall and similar rocks and skerries have no significance for establishing legal claims to mineral rights in the adjacent seabed and to fishing rights in the surrounding seas
    In 1988, Ireland and the UK reached agreement on the delimitation of areas of the continental shelf between the two countries, stretching out up to 500 nautical miles from their respective coastlines. This included the division of the Hatton-Rockall area of continental shelf on which Rockall is situated, although under the terms of the Law of the Sea Convention the location of Rockall was irrelevant to the determination of the boundary. According to that determination, Rockall is situated to the north of the boundary agreed with the UK in 1988 and lies outside the zone claimed by Ireland.

However, the claims to the Hatton-Rockall shelf agreed between Ireland and the UK are not accepted by Iceland or Denmark (on behalf of the Faroe Islands), which make their own claims. The four countries have met regularly since 2001 in an effort to resolve the overlapping claims issue, but to date have been unable to reach agreement.

It's not inhabitable
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Rockall_wave_March_1943.jpg/220px-Rockall_wave_March_1943.jpg
    Winter waves breaking over Rockall in January 1943 :eek:

gurramok wrote: »
    Its gas how the Daily Mail says the rock is British yet fail to mention the other countries who have competing claims where the issue is now at the UN.
    Except in the bit where they say exactly that:
    Ownership is now being examined by the United Nations in the light of competing claims from Iceland, the Faroes and Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

squod wrote: »
    Its ours. We should deport this fecker if he brings that flag near the place.
    We can't

As a British citizen he is entitled to cross borders within the Common Travel Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gurramok wrote: »

Indeed, and potentially lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

At least his guano should add a bit of colour to this bleak tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I thought the title said living on rock'n'roll for 60 days. Not sure how it would work. But it would be better than Rock on Rockall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    Other articles say they ignore islands altogether and look at the mainland which puts Donegal as the closest point.

But isn't Donegal on the island of Ireland? The people that ignore the Hebrides are hypocrites.

Victor wrote: »
    But isn't Donegal on the island of Ireland? The people that ignore the Hebrides are hypocrites.
    EPIC FAIL,
    Donegal is on the mainland of Ireland. So it counts.

The Hebrides are a remote colony which is not connected to mainland Britian.

Your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

EPIC FAIL,

Your wrong.

I dare you to stand in a pub in Stornoway and say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

EPIC FAIL,

Your wrong.

Ummm Ireland is an Island.... so as a Donegal guy i'd say Donegal is on the island of Ireland

I don't get the point of this argument.

If you are saying that its the place that is closest to Rockall then Donegal being on mainland/island of ireland isn't it all the same?

danniemcq wrote: »
    Ummm Ireland is an Island.... so as a Donegal guy i'd say Donegal is on the island of Ireland

I don't get the point of this argument.

If you are saying that its the place that is closest to Rockall then Donegal being on mainland/island of ireland isn't it all the same?

I'm saying Donegal counts as its on the main land of Ireland. The fact hat Ireland is an island is irrevlant.

The Herbides do not count as they are an island colony that are not connected to the main land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm saying Donegal counts as its on the main land of Ireland. The fact hat Ireland is an island is irrevlant.

The Herbides do not count as they are an island colony that are not connected to the main land.
    But the rules is deciding who owns a piece of continental shelf are based on habitable islands -v- uninhabitable rocks. The Herbides are for the most part habitable islands.

Your earlier post is based on the gosh!te ramblings of armchair republicans. Just because they want something to be so, doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Slap him with a property tax and a water tank tax and then he'll know!

When you take it to it's logical conclusion

http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/04/10/okinotorishimaisland/
    In order to prevent the island from submersion caused by erosion and maintain the claim to the EEZ, the Japanese government launched an embankment building project in 1987, and Higashikojima and Kitakojima were surrounded by concrete. Japan has encased the reefs with $280 million worth of concrete and covered the smaller one with a $50 million titanium net to shield it from debris thrown up by the ocean’s waves. In fact, the Japanese government has spent over $600 million dollars fortifying the reefs to prevent them from being completely washed away.

Furthermore, the Nippon Foundation has drawn plans to build a lighthouse and increase the size of the reef by breeding microorganisms known as foraminifera.

• Advertisement
Advertisement