Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating a Garden Fence - Smooth Wood - Creasote not doing the trick?

• 29-04-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but could really do with some advice on this.

We got a large section of our garden fenced off last year and the installer used smooth finish wood instead of rough finish wood (not the technical names) for the horizontal fence bars and rough finish wood for the posts. (I'm not sure why this was done)

Anyway I treated the entire fence + posts with two coats of creasote. The rough wood absorbed the creasote well and still has a strong colour a year later. However the smooth wood did not absorb it well and looks almost as if it was never painted now.

I don't mind what colour the fence is I just don't want it to go rotten on me.

Is there a good alternative to creasote? I know there are many different paint / treatment options in B&Q, etc but are any of them any good?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Could you go over it with some coarse sandpaper to roughen it up a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

kylith wrote: »
    Could you go over it with some coarse sandpaper to roughen it up a bit?

There's a lot of fence to go over with sandpaper so I was hoping a different treatment to creasote would work for me... might have to resort to sanding if nothing else works!

I read your reply plus your signature at first glance as one statement... I was completely taken aback and then nearly burst myself laughing when I realised my mistake

Advertisement