Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dog chasing cars?

• 29-04-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

would anyone have ideas on how to stop my dog from running after cars?He is a jack russel and five years old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Keep him in a garden which is well fenced and he's not at risk of getting run over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

maureenmax wrote: »
    would anyone have ideas on how to stop my dog from running after cars?He is a jack russel and five years old

If hes chasing cars Id guess he chases most thing, wheelie bins etc. Start with something safe like a wheelie bin and work on stopping his chasing there before trying anything with cars. And keep him on a lead at all times when cars are around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My JR Cross, is walked on a lane with very little traffic every day.
    If a car is coming, Ive trained him to come to me when we hear it approach.
    I then hook my finger into his collar til it passes.

This solution is what Ive come up with because my thick dog thinks every car is someone coming to see him specifically - and he would chase after the car til its out of sight. Then comes sheepishly back to me with that 'I know Ive done wrong' cowering look :(

Obviously this will only work if you're on a quiet road, that you have time for you to hear a car, and call him to you. But then I guess if he was on a busy road, you would have him on the leash.

I am working on getting him to stop chasing the cars - but as I said, he's a bit thick - distracting him from chasing a car with a pill-box with kibble in it, and rattled is working right now... and of course the treat of a bit of kibble...

will be interested to hear other suggestions/ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

In what context do you mean stop chasing cars? Is the dog out and about loose around the house or is this on walks...

Easy solution.. put a lead on him or as already said keep him in a secure garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Papillon! wrote: »
    Keep him in a garden which is well fenced and he's not at risk of getting run over...

This passive aggressiveness and the amount of thanks it got from forum regulars for assuming the OP was just allowing her dog to wander and chase cars is what is wrong with this forum. OP asks for advice/training help and without any details the OP is judged immediately. Then everyone joins in. Its little wonder that no one comes here for advice more than once.

Mods, work away if this deserves a ban, I dont mind, its something that needed to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

**Vai** wrote: »
    "OP asks for advice/training help"

nope, he/she didnt ask for any training help.

he/she asked how to stop the dog doing it and got the easiest simple solution.

There are no details given as to how the dog actually ends up chasing cars so the answer I gave anyway I think was an ok piece of advice to give... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pat_cork

Flake the **** out of him when he does it, wouldn't be long learning that way

Mod note: And perhaps you won't be long learning not to make such idiotic posts whilst you enjoy your week-long ban from the forum.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

pat_cork wrote: »

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Haha brilliant advice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

That's about the stupidest thing I've read in a long while.
    I hope you don't have a dog

Anyway....
    OP, since the dog is 5 years old, I'd imagine he has been doing this for a long time? If so, then it is going to be harder to train it out of him.

Does he get sufficient exercise during the day? dogs that don't get exercised or stimulated will then direct their energy towards other things, like this kind of unwanted behaviour.
    Best to contact a dog trainer for best advice and how to deal with this.

What are your circumstances with regards to the dog's area that he is in?
    Is your garden enclosed? do you walk him off-leash?
    I don't know your circumstances but keeping the dog confined and safe is the main priority so I would agree on keeping him in an enclosed area and I don't think any dog should be off leash near a road.

But dog trainer should be your first point of advice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Frecklefart90

You don't need to train it out of him.

The dog should either be indoors, secured in a garden or on a lead when out for a walk. It should never be in a situation where it can chase after cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This passive aggressiveness and the amount of thanks it got from forum regulars for assuming the OP was just allowing her dog to wander and chase cars is what is wrong with this forum. OP asks for advice/training help and without any details the OP is judged immediately. Then everyone joins in. Its little wonder that no one comes here for advice more than once.

Mods, work away if this deserves a ban, I dont mind, its something that needed to be said.

Did you really expect anything better from the people on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The OP didn't ask for help in training the dog not to chase cars. The obvious solution to stopping any dog from chasing cars is to keep it in a secure garden when its at home and to keep it on a leash when being walked in an area where it could be injured by a car or cause an accident if a driver had to swerve to avoid it. I see so many dogs in my neighbourhood being allowed to run the streets and chase cars. It makes me sick to my stomach each time I see dogs run out at the side of cars trying to herd them. One of the days one of them will be maimed or killed as has happened in the past.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Did you really expect anything better from the people on here?

Something else that shouldn't need to be said because it's in the forum charter is that back seat moderation is not allowed. However, once again, I'm having to remind posters of this.
    Not one person reported a post on this thread until the post advocating violence towards the dog. Not one. So, with all due respect, I find it particularly irksome that you come on here for a passive-aggressive grouse (oh, the sweet contradiction), when you haven't bothered trying to resolve your concerns via the appropriate routes.
    This forum is what it is. People are going to jump on bandwagons, it is the nature of the beast. If you think that's what's happening in any thread, report the post. I'm sick saying it.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

just to take the tension out of this thread i once asked my dad how to stop my jrt chasing cars and i should have expected his answer buy him 1 of his own and he can drive after em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Just wanted to clear things up that I didn't mean to come across as rude or anything. Its the internet and people can read things in a different tone than was meant by the person who posted the message.

All I meant by my post was that IMO the dogs safety should come first and he should be in a secure garden.

I myself dont have a gate on our garden and we live in a busy housing estate. For that reason my dogs are always supervised when let outside and have been trained to come back on command. If letting my dog out at 1pm etc when people would be driving into our estate on their lunch break, my dogs are brought out to the back garden on a leash in case they would bolt in front of a car.

Obviously a gate for our garden would be ideal but like many others I cant afford one at the moment, hence why I take every measure possible to make sure they are safe when outside. My two dogs get a long walk most days and plenty of play time, training and grooming so are not neglected or anywhere near.

Sorry OP if my point came across badly, I'd just hate to see anything happen to your dog and likewise, for you to have people knocking on yuor door if he caused an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

This worked for me, but admittedly, with a much younger dog. My main concern was that the chasing would eventually include cyclists and young horseriders from a nearby stables where the potential for injury would be much greater.

To protect himself and his pack, the dog chases the invader from his territory. The invader always goes away so his actions are 100% successful and the dog sees himself as a hero. If the invader is deemed acceptable, he won't chase.

Get some buddies to drive past your dog - yap yap - your buddy brakes, opens the door and greets the dog and, if necessary, you and other family members.
    Repeat with other buddies until the dog thinks "hey, these cars are OK. I don't need to attack! Where's my frisby."

Advertisement