Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a car park key fob - who should pay?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey,

The internal chip on my fob for carpark gate in my apt complex is no longer working. The mgmt company are looking for 120euro to replace it. Should I have to pay this even though it is not smashed or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If you are an owner then you pay it. If you are a tenant then usually it would be up to your landlord to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

djimi wrote: »
    If you are an owner then you pay it. If you are a tenant then usually it would be up to your landlord to replace it.

i should pay even though it is not smashed or lost. It's just the internal chip that has gone. Surely they should replace that for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If you can borrow a working one and bring it to a locksmith I reckon they can make you a couple for less than that price

Tigger wrote: »
    If you can borrow a working one and bring it to a locksmith I reckon they can make you a couple for less than that price

i dont think so....it's not a key its an electronic fob. Needs to be programmed to a master one

keano2012 wrote: »
    i should pay even though it is not smashed or lost. It's just the internal chip that has gone. Surely they should replace that for free?

I wouldnt have thought so, but no harm to ask I guess.

How long have you had it? If its not that old then you might have a case. If youve had it for a number of years then you wont get much joy I wouldnt have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, you need to tell us if you're the owner or the tenant - both would give very different responses to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Like a key to your car if it breaks you buy a new one and don't get a free one.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    OP, you need to tell us if you're the owner or the tenant - both would give very different responses to your question.

i am a tennant but i rent the carp space out. The landlord said from the start that the car park is mine to do whatever i want with it. So i am reluctant to ask him for the money for it.

i am a tennant but i rent the carp space out. The landlord said from the start that the car park is mine to do whatever i want with it. So i am reluctant to ask him for the money for it.

Its the landlords key fob; you are just renting it from them. If it needs to be replaced then you should contact them; indeed, you need to inform them that it is broken either way.

i think 120 is a ridiculous price anyway....costs 50 euro from the fob comp website....but i have to buy it through the mgmt comp as they have to program it. 70euro profit on that....a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure it doesn't just need a battery replacement?

Victor wrote: »
    Are you sure it doesn't just need a battery replacement?

tried that! i wish it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Replacing these fobs has long been a tidy little money spinner for management companies!

I would imagine they are priced as such as an incentive for people not to lose/break them regularly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

i think 120 is a ridiculous price anyway....costs 50 euro from the fob comp website....but i have to buy it through the mgmt comp as they have to program it. 70euro profit on that....a joke.

Did the Landlord provide you with the key when you moved in, or did you come to an arrangement yourself with the management company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i dont think so....it's not a key its an electronic fob. Needs to be programmed to a master one

Yeah what the **** would I know

I would imagine they are priced as such as an incentive for people not to lose/break them regularly...

Not exactly fair on the the guys who may lose 1 every 5 years or something. I didnt lose mine- the internal chip just went.
    I dont think these mgmt companies think like that- there clearly in for a quick buck. You order it in the morning and its there by the afternoon. Surely an admin fee of 20-30 would suffice- not 70euro...

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah what the **** would I know

you said it not me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Not exactly fair on the the guys who may lose 1 every 5 years or something. I didnt lose mine- the internal chip just went.
    I dont think these mgmt companies think like that- there clearly in for a quick buck. You order it in the morning and its there by the afternoon. Surely an admin fee of 20-30 would suffice- not 70euro...

So one every 5 years is just over 1 euro per month profit.

Yeah... They're creaming it.

3DataModem wrote: »
    So one every 5 years is just over 1 euro per month profit.

Yeah... They're creaming it.

ok...that was just to emphasise my point of the fairness or lack of it in the charge.

for example i now get the new one because the chip went and then next week i lose it and have to pay 120 again. there must be couple of hundred spaces....what would happen if everyone was like this?

• Advertisement

I doubt they are making €70 profit off them to be honest. Does your €50 include the cost of getting it programmed, as well as things like VAT?

I know our management company charges the same as the guy who supplies them.

I doubt they are making €70 profit off them to be honest. Does your €50 include the cost of getting it programmed, as well as things like VAT?

I know our management company charges the same as the guy who supplies them.

ya i reckon they are making that much profit IMO.

ok...that was just to emphasise my point of the fairness or lack of it in the charge.

for example i now get the new one because the chip went and then next week i lose it and have to pay 120 again. there must be couple of hundred spaces....what would happen if everyone was like this?

If you lose it then it really is your own problem, especially after paying €120 to get a new one already!

If you find that it suffers a mechanical failure in the time frame that it would be reasonable to expect it to work (ie if it packs in working after less than a year) then I think you would have a case for getting it replaced for free. Im not sure what kind of warranty they come with, but Id imagine they will have some sort of cover against unexpected failures.

ya i reckon they are making that much profit IMO.

I can almost guarantee you that they are not.

I can almost guarantee you that they are not.

ok i go along with your assumption for now. even if they are making 10e/20e/30e.....70 euro whatever.....is it really relevant.....the fact that they are even making a profit on something like is bit of a joke.

Advertisement