Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs for a house?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to this and have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me an idea on building costs for a house, size of around 1200 sq ft? How do you work out how much money you are going to need? I had in my head around 150k but don't know if I am massively out or not. Its in south dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

girl24 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to this and have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me an idea on building costs for a house, size of around 1200 sq ft? How do you work out how much money you are going to need? I had in my head around 150k but don't know if I am massively out or not. Its in south dublin.

Rough guess of €1000 per square metre, depending on finish and materials used etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

girl24 wrote: »
    Hi,

There are many many posts on this topic on boards.ie. It comes down to your specification in terms of type and choice of building materials, layouts, site conditions, finishes, material choices.

A basic GUIDE and it is a GUIDE would be €120k for the build only to a basic standard. Ontop of that are design team fees, planning fees, local authority contributions, legal fees, utility connections etc

You need to get the advise of professionals in terms of a more concrete picture. A good QS (and yes I am one so I believe everyone should hire one) should be able to give you a more indicate costing depending on even a sketch layout of your site. A cost plan can breakdown you building for you even at preplanning stage and get you working within parameters to keep within budget.

Bottom line is every house if different (generally) and therefore no two houses cost the same so all anyone can give you on here is a rough guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

kceire wrote: »
    Rough guess of €1000 per square metre, depending on finish and materials used etc
    Bit of a noob question, but.. I've seen the figure of €1000 per sq metre qouted a lot. Is this for single storey? Is it that price for floor space whether it's ground or first floor?

To clarify: if you are building a bungalow with rooms in the roof, with a footprint of 100 sq metre, would it be 100,000 for the ground floor plus 1000 per sq metre in the roofspace?

Advertisement